Wharfedale 8.4 with Yamaha RX-V450?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by andreasVenter, Feb 7, 2005.

1. andreasVenter

andreasVenter Auditioning

I am looking at replacing my old B&W front speakers with floorstanding speakers and was wondering if the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers would combine well with a Yamaha RX-V450 receiver.

May only concern is that the rated sensitivity level of these speakers are a bit low(86DB)

There are other speakers that I am really interested in, but they have no local distributors in South Africa. A prime example would be Cervin Vega.

Speaker makes available are B&W, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Boston Accoustics, Mission.

Any advise?

2. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

As long as you have, I'd say, 80 true watts of power they'll work fine. Your concerns are valid though, they do like power.
    I have some 8.3s run by a Kenwood 6070 with 96 true watts a channel and they sound great.

I suggest you look into getting the newer Diamond 9 series they've just released though. These things look awesome with new sloped cabinets and they've added a new mid driver to the line on some models. Check them out!

3. Axu R

Axu R Agent

You'd like to upgrade from bookshelves to floorstanders? Why? I'd say it's not worth it. Cheap floorstanders are usually boomy.

8-series is not _that_ good, at least 9-series is better, and with same price. Bookshelves are better I think. I've got 9.1s.. That Yammy isn't too powerful, but it should play with 6ohms, 9-series I mean. But you really should check Monitors and the others too!

Chad, I'll have to be a little skeptical about that 96W, Sony DB790 gives 65W and Marant 4400 gives 85W, RMS to 6 channels with 8 ohms, tested in a UK mag. It depends on the method, channels and ohms what readings you get. The least you can trust the watts on the package. [​IMG]

Nevertheless, sensitivity and impedanz are important when choosing speakers. It doesn't matter much if the amp gives 25 or 50W, only 3db in SPL.

4. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Axu,
    The 96 true watts was a published article from a well known magazine here in the US that I can't remember at the momment.

All six channels driven too.
    I understand your skepticism though.
    Trust the manufactures you can not.