1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wharfdale Diamond 8.1's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone familiar with these bookshelf speakers. I was looking at them and they have recieved really good reviews. I am thinking about trying them. They are only 199 a pair. Any advice?

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have had 3 sets of diamonds in the past, currently own one pair of, i think, 6's, that i use in the living room for background music. for the size of them (&price) they have pretty decent bass but when married to a sub they are truly impressive. i say try them and if worse comes to worse you can always move them to a less prominant place in your home.

3. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I have the Diamond 8.3 (floorstanding with larger drivers) and I love it. I use the 8.1 for my surrounds. Last week, I removed the 8.3's and attached the 8.1's to the front and listened to some music. It sounded great too but it lacked bass.

If you're going to get a subwoofer, then the 8.1 will be great. If not, get the 8.3 or the 8.2. The 8.2 is also a bookshelf but it has the same driver size as the 8.3.

I suggest you also bi-wire your speakers. Mine sounded a bit clearer that way.

The silk tweeter and the kevlar woofer needs a long break-in period of around 2 weeks. I was disappointed at the sound first, but after 2 weeks, it became great.

And lastly, these are 6ohm speakers so don't get a lousy amp or receiver. Get a Denon or a Marantz.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Diamonds.

4. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

I listened to these for a couple of hours in a Car Audio/HT store while i waited for an upgrade to my car. It was 8.3's for the fronts and 8.1's for the rears.

I thought they sounded pretty good - i would consider adding these to my recommended list (currently Energy and Paradigm.

I'm a bookshelf guy, so i would probably buy 4 of the 8.1's

Take it easy