Wharfdale Diamond 8.1's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone familiar with these bookshelf speakers. I was looking at them and they have recieved really good reviews. I am thinking about trying them. They are only 199 a pair. Any advice?

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have had 3 sets of diamonds in the past, currently own one pair of, i think, 6's, that i use in the living room for background music. for the size of them (&price) they have pretty decent bass but when married to a sub they are truly impressive. i say try them and if worse comes to worse you can always move them to a less prominant place in your home.

3. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I have the Diamond 8.3 (floorstanding with larger drivers) and I love it. I use the 8.1 for my surrounds. Last week, I removed the 8.3's and attached the 8.1's to the front and listened to some music. It sounded great too but it lacked bass.

If you're going to get a subwoofer, then the 8.1 will be great. If not, get the 8.3 or the 8.2. The 8.2 is also a bookshelf but it has the same driver size as the 8.3.

I suggest you also bi-wire your speakers. Mine sounded a bit clearer that way.

The silk tweeter and the kevlar woofer needs a long break-in period of around 2 weeks. I was disappointed at the sound first, but after 2 weeks, it became great.

And lastly, these are 6ohm speakers so don't get a lousy amp or receiver. Get a Denon or a Marantz.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Diamonds.

4. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

I listened to these for a couple of hours in a Car Audio/HT store while i waited for an upgrade to my car. It was 8.3's for the fronts and 8.1's for the rears.

I thought they sounded pretty good - i would consider adding these to my recommended list (currently Energy and Paradigm.

I'm a bookshelf guy, so i would probably buy 4 of the 8.1's

Take it easy