What's new

Wharfdale 8.1 Diamond - help please (1 Viewer)

Marko_J

Agent
Hi,

I'm planing to buy Wharfdale's Diamond 8.1 speakers which I plan t mont on my wall and i would use them in my HT architecture, but I would like to know if anyone here has some experience with them.

Are they good, do you think that I could get something better for the same money...

thanx in advance

Marko

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Where are you sourcing them? At what cost? Are you running them all around? Using the Diamond Center?

I do not own the Diamonds but am very familiar with them. A full complement of 8.1's would not be my first choice but it sounds as if you are working these into an existing system. Surrounds? Center rears? Do your existing speakers use silk dome tweeters? You will achieve a better blend if they do. IMO they are one of the best budget speakers available anywhere.

Marko_J

Agent
I'm planing to set them as rear speakers in my surround system. I'm moving in a new apartement in a few months (the building is still not finished), so I'm in a position to base everything in my livingroom around my new HT that I'll have.
I will buy 16:9 32' or 36' TV (I know it's not very big, but I live in Croatia and here my paycheck is not big enough), probably JVC, Toshiba, Sony or Panasonic. I saw one Samsung TV that looks great but I'm not too confident about them...
I can get diamond 8.1 for 200$ here in croatia and I think that the price is fine. I don't want to go with one of those all-in-one systems as sony's DAV's...
I realy like those 8.1 as rears, and I still didn't decide on the rest of the system either...
thanx for info:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Marko_J,

If you haven't picked out the rest of the system yet but like the 8.1's for rears I suggest you use the 8.3's in front if you like floorstanders or the 8.2's if you like standmounts depending on pricing/supply in Croatia. The entire Diamond line is quite capable and has a smooth consistent sound. Are you running a sub?

Your TV is plenty large enough. I am looking at the 32" Samsung myself. I was actually very impressed with the quality of the 27" Tantus flatscreen 4:3 480p I demoed.

Marko_J

Agent
paul thanx
I can get 8.2 for 230$ so you are right - it's not expensive.
I will definetly buy a sub, but maybe after a month or two (cash problems)
offcourse I have to get a center...
I can get the new Samsung 32' for 1200$. That modell allready has 3 speakers built in - C, R, L. Maybe I'll use it's C for first month and than I'm buying sub and C.
Should I buy everything from Wharfdale or can I use something else?

I have to say that I came to this forum last week for the first time and I allready love it - you people are realy helpfull...

Pardon me for my spelling, I'm not very good in writen english

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

I recently listened to the Wharfedale Diamond setup. It had 8.3's up front and 8.2's for the surrounds.

I was really impressed with them - it was a fairly small room with a 32" TV + sub.

I think you'd be happy with the setup. Being a 'bookshelf' guy, i would probably go with a 4 x 8.2 + center + sub setup myself.

You're probably better off using the 'phantom' center option in the receiver (set center to NO), than the TV's speakers - until you buy a Center channel.

Personally the process i followed was
1. Center and Receiver - used 4 crappy speakers for front and surround - waited 4 months
2. New fronts - waited 3 months
3. New fronts again - moved the existing fronts to surround - waited 5 months (i had a crappy sub)
5. New Sub

Take it easy

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Paul has it right. If you can't swing a lot of it at one time, his suggestion is the way to go. Build it more slowly and end up with components you aren't already itching to upgrade when you're done.

Marko---your English and spelling are fine. Welcome to the club.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Marko, I would recommend the Samsung if that is the model you like. It is a great set from everything I have heard. I am also considering it.
Don't worry about the spelling, its better than most of us Americans can muster on a good day :D Also, there is a spell check opposite of the submit button if you are concerned about it.

Nestor Magkawas

Auditioning
hi all,
i used to an Tannoy MX3 which I used as front
with MX1 as rears and MxC for center driven by
a Denon AVR1801. I said used to because my MX3
got so damaged when I moved house, too bad I could
blame anybody but me :D
So now, somebody is offering me a good price for
a Diamond 8.1. will this do as a front speaker?
any advise? thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks