What's new

Whaddya mean "HDTV **receiver** "? A rec'r is for SOUND only, right? (1 Viewer)

MattDur

Auditioning
Here I am ready to order the Yamaha 5660 receiver (basically like the 640) and someone else in this group mentions (in a different topic) that they suggest the more expensive 1400 "for its HDTV capability".

Excuse me? Isn't a receiver for *sound*? Why the mention of how a 1400 is HDTV-ready and a 5660 ISN'T?

Oh man, I had done so much research on what rec'r to buy and now it may have to start again.

Info:
- use: 90% DVD films [the source will probably be a Denon DVD1200 or 1600], the rest TV and CDs.
- display is a front projector: Boxlight 1HD / Sanyo Z1 [NB: this is an "exactly 1/2 HD projector"]
- Speakers will be Axioms [can't wait]
- here in Ontario Starchoice is offering an HD satellite box, so I may get that over the standard box.

THX!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well recievers are basically audio and video, most of them anyways.

Home Theater recievers usually do both audio and video. Higher models will have stuff like S-Video and component video. They will also be able to handle things like HDTV signals and progressive scanning and such.

It all depends how much you are willing to spend on the unit though.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
They do both, which is why they're called A/V receivers. But the Video part is more of a pass-through. You could run only your audio through the receiver and route the video directly to your TV/Projector etc. and in fact many people do this, especially with receivers that don't pass HiDef through very well.

- Jack

MattDur

Auditioning
"... They will also be able to handle things like HDTV signals and progressive scanning and such.... "

I just want to know what concrete difference there'd be if you put a HD signal into both the 1400 and the 5660, and ouputted this to a HD TV, or to my 1/2 HD Boxlight. Would the 5660 kind of downgrade the signal to a less-than-HD image? like what, 99% of HD's resolution? 50%? See, it'd be nice to see what it actually would look like.

MattDur

Auditioning
Jack said " You could run only your audio through the receiver and route the video directly to your TV/Projector etc. and in fact many people do this, especially with receivers that don't pass HiDef through very well."

Hmm, I suppose then this would negate the HD issue as far as the rec'r is concerned, which is good to know. So if i ever get that Starchoice box, I'll try putting it through either re'cr, and then try doing a straight-to-the-imager setup to see which is better.

Kinda makes me wonder why people use their rec'rs as video pass-throughs in the first place, unless they do other special things. Does it make switching easier? Anything else?

RussellB

Grip
i actually ordered the 5660 and returned it just for the reason that it had only 30 mhz video switching. i bought the 1400 with dplIIx and it has a ton of more features and a little bit more power.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think the 1400 has a slightly higher bandwidth (down 3dB@60MHz) while the 5660 is down 3dB@30MHz. Of course there are other differences as well. With regards to the video switching aspects, one generally wants a bandwidth for the device to be ~3x the bandwidth of the signal you're pushing through it in order to avoid noticeable degradation. Regular DVD is 6.75 MHz, 480p is 13.5 MHz, while 720p & 1080i both are 36MHz. So, if you'r going to be pushing video through the receiver, the 1400 could handle 480p while the 5660 can only do regular DVD although you 'might' be able to get away with 480p. Neither can reliably do the highest resolution. For that you'd need something with a 100 MHz or higher bandwidth.

You know how it goes, the receiver you really want is just the one that's a little above your price range so you spend time trying to justify the lower priced one. Depends on how strong that voice in the back of your head is right?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Kinda makes me wonder why people use their rec'rs as video pass-throughs in the first place, unless they do other special things. Does it make switching easier? Anything else?
Some people have a game box, VCR, LD, DVD and a cable STB and there may not be enough inputs on the TV to accommodate all the sources. The other consideration is convenience - switching video thru the rcvr allows you to select the source on the rcvr remote and automatically have it on screen instead of having to switch the input source on the TV. 'course in most cases to preserve hi quality video the source goes direct to the TV (DVD or HD signals)

MattDur

Auditioning
Chu said
"I think the 1400 has a slightly higher bandwidth (down 3dB@60MHz) while the 5660 is down 3dB@30MHz ... one generally wants a bandwidth for the device to be ~3x the bandwidth of the signal you're pushing through it in order to avoid noticeable degradation. Regular DVD is 6.75 MHz, 480p is 13.5 MHz, while 720p & 1080i both are 36MHz ... Neither can reliably do the highest resolution. For that you'd need something with a 100 MHz or higher bandwidth."

Thank you for this valuable explanation. Your post has made it very clear to me.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Note: there are some good video switch box's for $80-$180 that take 4 HD video sources (including optical or coaxial digital) and switch them to 1 output. So if you found a great receiver that has everything BUT HD video switching, these external box's let you expand without upgrading to a +$500 model.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Now if Bob would just post that link to what I consider a pretty damned good thread :D

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I personally run everything to my Denon 3803, then pass it via one component connection to my L300U. The receiver has the overhead (100mhz) to pass hidef on unmolested, and gives me the convenience of everything in one place. And it will upconvert lesser signals like svideo/composite.

That said, it was a nice bonus, but was not the deciding factor in my receiver purchace decision.

- Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks