Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ok time to post a follow up.

About 10 months ago I was searching for a DIY Line Array
kit that was affordable. I looked at all of the other LA
kits on the market and they were just more than I was
willing to spend but it had to be line arrays.

So John asks me one day if I would be interested in a DIY
kit and of course I resoundingly said YES! So John went to
work designing, measuring etc.. And when they were ready
I didn't have the cash. I think it was about two months
maybe three before I sent John the money to pay for the
line array kit.

Seven or so months went by and I hadn't yet received my
lines and I have to admit I was getting worried and/or
impatient (or a little of both). In this whole time span I
was never terse or rude because I understand how hard John
*IS* working to keep everything going.

John came through for me 110% it just took some time and
that's not a problem at all. I am very pleased with the
product and John has always kept me abreast of the situation
so it's not like I ever felt out of the loop.

I really hope that you can get everything straightened out
John and I want to see the business grow.

Just keep Rory as your spokesperson (unofficially) he has
a great line... ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Owen,

I have everything pretty much. I need to order the 2" MDF
Round Overs ($200.00) some wire and some binding posts from
PE plus 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and some lucite.

I figure it's going to cost me another $500.00 or so to
completely finish these.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Rory,

The carbon fibre cones are very stiff. If they don't come out stiff enough, I'll go with an aluminum honeycomb material between two layers. The cones I have seen as samples are strong enough do drive a car up on them. As for high frequency extension, think Lambda Acoustics Apollo woofers. Their TD15's were flat on axis up to 4KHz and OFF AXIS up to 2KHz. This series of drivers should have similar high frequency response characteristics. Using the phase plug you increase the high end response, and eliminate the breakup from the dustcap. I will eventually have the home theater versions and a pro audio version.

James,

Thanks for the support. The AE Speakers was just an afterthought. I have two dreams related to audio. One is to build some really high end woofers that look as good as they sound. The second is to go after the high end home theater market. I'll be honest that I don't have a lot of fun making the same enclosures over and over again. To do very custom systems in small quantity is a lot more fun. The woofers need to take off first before I can concentrate on the other aspect. Acoustic Elegance is somewhat on hold while AE Speakers takes off.

John

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
If a 200-pound theoretical individual can stand on a theoretical platform supported by the very apex of the cone (a force of 1,962 Newtons) and the cone won't flex, then I'm sure they will be able to hold up to insane abuse.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
FWIW,

I had an MB-Quart Carbon Fiber 10" sub that had a CF dust
cap also. It was extremely stiff to say the least.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Brett, instead of paying $200 for the MDF round-overs, why not put that $200 towards a small router, which could do the work for you?

In addition, John, will you continue to make passive radiators? No one else makes passive radiators quite like you do.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Rory,

I have a router table.. Care to explain to me how I can make
a 2" Radius Round Over on a router table?

2" is a large radius and it's not something you are able to
do in your wood shop unless you have a big shaper table.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The motor on the new AV12 looks somewhat smaller than the one on the TC-Sounds built one. It looks almost as small as the magnet on the DPL12. Are my eyes just fooling me?

TC-Sounds built AV12

AE Speakers built AV12

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
This is still the same AV12. I haven't actually built the production ones yet. The motor is nearly identical on both versions.

John

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
John, If you still out here. How would I know when the two week special will start? As per our earlier telecon (you may not remember), I'm very much interested in the AV15 when it is available.

Good luck with your venture.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I'll post something on the website when it gets close to the time for the sale period. I'm sure it will get mention on the forums as well.

John

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
John,

What option do you offer to replace a 1st generation AV15? Darren Thomas just recently took it out of the box and noticed that it has the single spider, meaning it has the very high failure rate.

Prefer to replace it with the AV15 MKII when it comes in.

Thanks,

Al Garay
[email protected]

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Al, expect it to be a few months. John needs time to get the money to buy the parts. Then the parts need to ship. John needs to tool up to make motors. Then he has to actually build a stock before the drivers can go on sale, as they are expected to be a very highly-anticipated product. Only John can speak for himself WRT a more accurate timetable but I can tell you he expects it to be months. If you need a subwoofer, don't old your breath. On the other hand, if you already have a subwoofer, the AE Speakers drivers will be worth waiting for, if the performance of my own newly-built AV12 is any indication.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind waiting for the replacement. I just want John to confirm that he will replace the single spider AV15 when the new AV15 comes in.

John, all it takes is an e-mail.

Thanks,

Al
[email protected]

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Al,

Yes, I will replace all the drivers that have problems. I actually replaced nearly 100 drivers so far between ones with misaligned coils, rubbing coils, cones detaching from the VC former, etc. The builder of the drivers had agreed to replace the drivers that were built improperly at first, then decided they didn't want to. I had to take the hit and replace all of them myself at a loss. So much for their warranty, but I have to keep my customers happy even if it takes awhile.

They did now sell me some parts to rebuild a few more of the defective drivers myself. It's costing me more money again that I shouldn't have been responsible for, but at least I can get a few more people taken care of now. They said they were shipping the parts out to me yesterday UPS ground so they should be here Thursday or Friday next week.

John

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have 2 of the orgonal av15 and mine do have a problem with botoming. i want to upgrade to 4 av15 how much do it cost in parts to re buld the av15 with the problem and if it is re bult will it work well with the new av15?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks