What's new

WHA and HT Speaker help! Monoprice vs .......? (2 Viewers)

zjolsen

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary Olsen
All, Been trolling for a while and tried to search through all the many threads that matched my criteria.. but could not find the exact answers I am looking for. I am most likely going with the Nuvo GC unless someone can sway me for price/features to another system. I really like static KPs with the availability to have wireless control.... back on subject, this is more about speakers. I am going to have 6 zones with 10' ceilings pretty much everywhere. I have ready hundreds and hundreds of posts about the monoprices and I really am leaning towards them. Problem is everyone seems to go with the 8" and I am really wanting to stay with a 6 1/2". -For the bedrooms/bathrooms/kitchen going with the MP 4103s. My questions are will a pair of these per room do the job well? . Will these be crisp for music or tinny? Do these handle lows/ bass at all? I dont plan to crank these to max, but I would like some lows to be heard. -Obviously I love the price of the 4103s, but I would not have problem going to 60 or 70 bucks a pair for my generic listening rooms. I have a 20% off at monoprice right now so I would like to order soon. -Onto my family room. Due to how I built the house everything will need to be in ceiling. I was thinking of running the MP 7604s in ceiling for L/C/R. Will that work? They do not have directional tweeters so I dont know if the will work well in a in-ceiling type of set up. -For rears I was going to go with MP 7605s. This is my main living area, since the 7605s are directional will this work with music for entertaining or cranking up the music? Should I just go with the 4103s for rears instead? -I plan on putting in the MP 4929 10" passive sub as well. -For the garage I was thinking of doing the 4104s, ceilings are 14'... its 800 sqft. I dont plan to really turn this up so will 2 speakers be enough for the sqftage? Exteriors I would go with the 7496 indoor/outdoor speakers. Any assistance would be appreciated. I know the setup is not ideal, but I still think the products listed have the potential to sound great. If anyone has recommendations on something else please let me know. I am all ears!

BrennanOSD

Agent
Real Name
Brennan
When you have high ceilings, such as 10', you really need to have powerful enough speakers to provide good coverage throughout the room. If you only put 6.5" speakers up there, you'd really have to work them in order to fill all that space, and then distortion can come into play. What kind of listener are you? Would you be using them for more of a background music/ambiance or more high volume? If you're limited to in-ceiling speakers for your surround setup, you definitely want to have pivoting tweeters, so that you can angle them towards your listening area. In fact, you could do 3 angled in-ceilings for the fronts, and two down firing (with pivoting tweeters) in the back. PM me if you would like any recommendations on where to look for such speakers at good price, while maintaining a great quality. - Brennan, OSD Audio

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no way I would ever run in-ceiling LCR for a home theater...unless you like the idea of lousy audio. As far as the in-ceiling speakers all over the rest of the house...it more comes down to overall budget. I've not bought anything from MP...so I have no comment on the speakers. Best recommendation, get them all...install a pair and see how you like them. Your ears are all the matter.

zjolsen

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary Olsen
Well I went to the house today and ruled out that front ceiling speakers are not going to work out. Thinking of going with a small form satelite speaker like Def Tech Mythos Gem or something similiar. They would be mounted on the ceiling pointed down. I would like to keep it under 250 for the pair. I would also like some input on a small center channel.. I would like shallow depth and low height. Thinking of mounting it under the mantle. My buddy has some Proficient Audio C640s that sound great in 6 1/2".. but it did seem you have to be under them to really hear the quality. Would a 8" spread that sound out better? I am willing to go to a 8" Any others input is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks