"WGN Classics: Bozo, Gar and Ray" Did anyone watxh this?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by EricSchulz, Dec 29, 2005.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

During the week prior to Christmas, WGN ran a tribute to three shows that I grew up watching during the 60's and 70's: Bozo, Garfield Goose and Friends and the Ray Rayner Show. The two hour show was filled with clips from the past 45 years or so, including the full-length shorts "Frosty the Snowman", "Suzy Snowflake" and "Hard Roc, CoCo and Jo". The clip from Bozo (with the guy who replaced Bob Bell) doing the "Grand Prize Game" with the little girl named Whitney had me in tears it was so funny! With clips from MANY other shows (Letterman, Oprah to name two) and some classic skits and bloopers, it was a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane...

2. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    I saw part of it. Wish I'd known about it ahead of time because I would have TiVo'd it. Nostalgic indeed. A least I have the three Christmas shorts on DVD.

3. Mark_B

Mark_B Second Unit

Mark
    I saw it and thought it was great. I too grew up with these shows and actually was lucky enough to be in the audience for Bozo when I was a little kid. It was mentioned that Ned Locke also did Lunchtime Little Theater, the predecessor to Bozo. Thanks to my parents forsight, got to see that live and in person too. It was amazing the different charectors thses guys did. Ray Rayner had his show in the morning, then did Oliver O Oliver on Bozo at lunch and then did Dick Tracy in the afternoon. Roy Brown worked Cudley Dudly in the morning, played Cookie on Bozo, then worked the puppets on Garfield Goose in the afternoon. All these shows were live. What work horses. It brought back some good memeories.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

According to WGN's website, they are going to run it again next Christmas...apparently people were asking if it was available to buy on DVD!!!

5. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

One of the greatest pleasures of visiting my grandmother in Chicago as a child was watching WGNs children's programming. I loved Bozo and the GRAND. . PRIZE. . GAME!, not to mention Frazier Thomas with Garfield Goose. I also remember Thomas introducing Holiday Classics, great Christmas films every year.

6. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Wow this brings back great memories. Living in a small Indiana town, we had cable back in the mid 60s. I remember watching channel 9 from when I was around 4 or 5 years old. I loved Ray Rayner and Bozo the Clown. The Grand Prize Game was always my favorite. My dad and I also rarely missed Family Classics with Frazier Thomas. Chicago had great kids programming. I also watched BJ and Dirty Dragon (which I think was on 32, but later moved to 9) all the time also. I wish I had seen the WGN show. Hopefully I will catch a re-run soon or by next Christmas. Thanks for sharing this.

Jeff

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

8. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Thanks Eric. To be honest, since Comcast here in Ft. Wayne moved WGN from channel 9 to channel 53, I watch it less and less. Of course, the children's programming is no longer there so I could not introduce my kids to it. They are nuts about Nick and Cartoon Network. I am interested in the book though. Please post your results.

Jeff

9. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

BJ and Dirty Dragon were on Gigglesnort Hotel which was on WLS channel 7.

10. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Thread Bump!

According to WGN's website, this FANTASTIC show is being shown again this year at 10pm (I assume that is Central time) on Christmas Eve. DEFINITELY worth taping/Tivo-ing!