WFAA-DT (ABC) HDTV Newsletter for September

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Tannehill, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Okay, that bogus press release has been removed. In
    its place, I am posting the latest HDTV newsletter
    from the Dallas ABC affiliate, WFAA. This is legit
    news regarding the current ABC HDTV plans.
    - Steve
    New Season
    ABC begins the new season on Tuesday, September 18th with “Philly.” “Thieves” starts on Friday at 8 p.m. and “Alias” debuts with a commercial-free special on Sunday the 30th from 8 p.m. to 9:09 p.m. HD shows and movies total 19 hours out of 90 hours of primetime for September representing just over 21% in HD. The Network still does not promote HD. By December ABC DTV stations expect to be airing 5 to 10 hours of HD programming each week.
    CBS primetime is all HD plus the daytime soap and a full schedule of NCAA football and other sports coverage. They keep the network leadership position for HD delivery.
    NBC continues with “The Tonight Show” and it is rumored that they will add several shows this fall. The Network is trying to complete a digital satellite delivery system in time for the Olympics to possibly do some HD coverage. Europe and Japan will do HD of the Olympics.
    Direct Broadcast Satellite continues the lead in HD programming with Showtime and HBO.
    Gaming is Big Business
    Consumer Electronics reports that game consoles promise to be a driving force behind the growth of digital entertainment during the fourth quarter of this year. Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo GameCube have component outputs for connecting to a DTV. The combination of features is good news for gamers who may now engage in HD gaming, but also for DTV adoption, since it provides consumers with yet another reason to upgrade their existing sets. Additionally, Sony’s Playstation 2 has a 1394 output along with an optical output for digital audio. Sony also includes DVD playback.
    ABC HD Programming
    Code:
    Sun. 2nd   6-8pm                             Stereo
       “A Very Brady Sequel”
    Tue. 4th   9-10 pm ”NYPD Blue”  5.1 audio
    Tue.11th  9-10 pm  “NYPD Blue” 5.1 audio
    Sat. 15th  7-10 pm                          5.1 audio
       “The Peacemaker”
    Tue.18th   9-10 pm   “Philly”          5.1 audio
    Fri. 21st    8-9 pm  “Thieves”         5.1 audio
    Sun. 23rd   6-8pm “A Bugs Life”    5.1 audio
    Tue. 25th  9-10 pm   “Philly”          5.1 audio
    Fri. 28th    8-9 pm  “Thieves”         5.1 audio
    Sat. 29th   7-10 pm “Ransom”        5.1 audio
    Sun. 30th  6-8 pm “ Dr. Dolittle”    5.1 audio
                     8-9:09 pm  “Alias”        5.1 audio

New HD RP Set
    Panasonic introduced the PT-47WX49, its new 47-inch, 16 x 9 HD rear-projection monitor, at a suggested retail price of $2,099.95. The set can display digital video signals in 480p and HDTV 1080i. It features a 165-point convergence system to maintain maximum clarity, and color alignment is user-adjustable in nine different screen segments. The NTSC tuner enables reception of analog signals and a built-in scan converter line-doubles conventional TV signals to 480p. Two sets on component video inputs will accept ether interlaced or progressive signals from different sources, such as a DVD player or digital satellite receiver. The monitor requires a separate digital receiver to get HD programs.
    Contact Us
    214.977.6246 214.977.6409 (fax)
    To receive this newsletter, please fax, phone, or contact mailto:cchappel@wfaa.com
    Got Remo?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I would not be so quick to call it bogus, unless you know the entire story behind it.
    ------------------

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Fill us in Mike!
    Is there anything you can divulge? How did this press release get leaked?
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Then why don't you tell me about it in email.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?

5. Rod Rebello

Rod Rebello Auditioning

If you are referring to the release that said all scripted shows will be in HD, I received it from our local Phoenix ABC station. They have a mailing list for their HD viewers. You would think that ABC's stations would have the correct info. Here is what they sent:
    -----------------
    Here is confirmation of ABC's plans for HD this Fall!!!
    At this point we are still not able to bring you the 5.1 audio, but this is great news...
    September 5, 2001
    THE ABC TELEVISION NETWORK ANNOUNCES IT WILL BROADCAST
    ITS PRIMETIME ENTERTAINMENT SERIES IN HDTV
    ABC Television Network President Alex Wallau announced today that ABC will broadcast all of its scripted primetime entertainment programs in high definition television (HDTV) this season.
    All of these programs will use 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format. ABC is the only network to broadcast its HD programming in Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surroundsound.
    In addition to "NYPD Blue," which became ABC's first regularly-scheduled entertainment series to be broadcast in high-definition last season, the series to be broadcast in HD include "Dharma & Greg," "Spin City," " Philly," "My Wife and Kids," "The Drew Carey Show," "Thieves," "Once and Again," "The Practice," "What About Joan," "Bob Patterson," "According to Jim," "The Job," "The Court," "The Web," and "Alias."
    ABC also broadcast more than 40 theatrical movies in HDTV last year, and will continue to do so for the 2001-2002 season.
    "We're very committed to doing HDTV programming, and broadcasting most of our primetime series in HD is a terrific way to showcase this technology," said Mr. Wallau.
    Jeff Harrelson
    Program Director
    KNXV-TV ABC 15, DT 56
    515 N. 44th Street
    Phoenix, Arizona 85008
    (602) 683-5954

6. Rod Rebello

Rod Rebello Auditioning

I asked Jeff at ABC KNXV Phoenix about the authenticity of the press release. Below is his response. Definitely not a sure thing yet [​IMG].
    ----------
    Not a hoax, it just has not been released yet. We received the release internally and were not aware that ABC had not sent it out to the public. Apparently, there are still a few details to be worked out to make this possible. I will let you know ASAP when I hear from ABC on their Fall HD intentions. Let's hope ABC can make this happen.

7. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

This was not a bogus press release ...This was a release that was not suppose to be let out, which I did not know when I posted it, until the final details are ironed out between ABC and a sponser they are working with similar to CBS and Mits....ABC expects and hopes to have an agreement finalized with a sponser for the rest to the ABC prime time lineup, sometime within the next week...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on September 07, 2001 at 09:35 AM]

8. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

post deleted by Mike I
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on September 07, 2001 at 07:57 AM]
    [Edited last by Mike I on September 07, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Mike, you've got mail.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?

11. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Steve..
    You now have mail [​IMG]
    ------------------

12. MaxY

MaxY Guest

13. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

It's reading like the Blue CRT didn't know what the Red CRT was doing. Maybe convergence will help! [​IMG]

14. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

It now has been officially released by ABC...All prime time Entertainment including World of Disney and the ABC big picture show will be HD...News based show and game shows such has millionaire will not be...
    ------------------

15. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Thanks Mike!
    Sounds excellent. Time to start getting on my local abc affialiate.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

16. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Here is the official press release

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Mike, thanks for the follow-up. I've reopened the original thread with the early press release.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?

18. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Thank You Steve...Sorry for all the misunderstandings..
    Peace
    Mike I
    ------------------