What's new

We've created a monster. NINJA SCROLL to have version "reformatted for widescreen." (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sigh.

From the press release:

Manga Entertainment is celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the legendary Japanese animated film, NINJA SCROLL with a Special Edition DVD featuring a new double-sided/dual layered DVD that offers a pristine presentation of the original 4x3 film plus a newly created 16x9 wide screen edition for home theatre enthusiasts. NINJA SCROLL has been completely digitally re-mastered and reformatted, utilizing the latest in surround sound audio technology available today.
At least the original full-frame presentation is on the disc as well.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
That's as wrong as pan-and-scan. So, now they're giving us a MARed version and saying that it's for the home theater enthusiast? We're the ones who DON'T want movies to be modified from their original AR!

They might as well say, "We're going to distribute it in a blue box specifically for those who hate the color blue."

This is just plain stupid.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was at Otakon (Baltimore anime 'con) and went to the Manga Ent. panel, and when the rep said that, I was bummed. However, a lot of the panels at Otakon went out of their way to mention if stuff was going to be widescreen or notm and the fans were knowledgable about it as well. Not only that, anime productions as a whole (series and movies) are definitely moving towards widescreen. "Noir" and "Chobits" are both popular series that are in anamorphic widescreen on DVD. I think these guys just got caught up in the anamorphic hype.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling, though, that this is an omen of things to come as more and more people replace their 4:3 sets with 16:9 ones. Lots of faux widescreen discs so people can fill their screens. Grr. Wasn't there an article not too long ago about CHEERS being Tilt-n-Scanned for widescreen transfers?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually it's twofold:

Ninja Scroll is a "movie" in the US, not the OVA it was originally. Therefore people whine and scream about it not being wide

2-Manga Entertainment has been long renowned for boobery

Put the two together- tada!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks