What's new

Wet sanding woes (1 Viewer)

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to wet sanding. I did a search using google about wet sanding but nothing interesting came up. I've checked woodworkingtips.com also. Is there any website out there that I should check? Thanks

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Here's what you do. Prime/dry/wet sand w/ 400 grit. Spray on black lacquer, let dry, sand (dry) w/ 600. Repeat several times. For the last few coats, use very fine (0000) steel wool instead of sandpaper. Between coats (after sanding) thoroughly wipe off the sirface with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth. Spray w/ clear lacquer, repeat as desired. Finito.

VERY IMPORTANT.

Spray only the horizontal (side facing up) surface. Have the piece between you and the light source so you can see the light glaring off of it. This will let you know if the surface is wet enough. Be generous with the spray. Keep spraying until the surface has an even gloss to it and looks uniformly wet. You'll notice if you spray too close, the air from the spray can will blow a dry spot onto the surface. This lets you know you're too close. When you're done spraying, turn the can over and spray until paint stops coming out. This keeps the nozzle clear and allows it to keep working until the can is almost empty. DO NOT use the can if it is sputtering. Let that surface dry 24 hours (w/ enamel) or 1 hour (w/ lacquer) before working the next side. Place a clean, dry cloth under any painted side that winds up on the bottom as you flip the piece over to work it. Do not put a painted surface down until it has dried for at least 24 hours.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
yeh use about 1200~ then 2000+ make sure you take a little bit of dish wash liquid soap like (spelling) palmollive 1-2 DROPS in the bucket of water and then wet sand paper. For best results use a block. A piece of thick cardboard or somthing or idealy use a "soft block" used in auto body you can buy them at canadian tire or your american equal... just basically Hard soft foam/rubber

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks