1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Westworld (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Thank fuck for that!

2. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Bring yourselves back online......

Season 2 premiere in the bank. So much to unpack.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Hopefully a new topic for season 2 will get going instead of continuing this one.

4. Brian L

Brian L Producer

You disappoint me HTF......Dancing With The Stars is getting more action here than the season premiere of the best television show since the original X Files (according to me!).

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Started a season 2 topic

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Haven't gotten to watch it yet, to be completely honest.

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys, this past week I’ve been watching an epsode a night of Westworld on blu ray. I had not seen it till now. I’ve been saving the blu ray for a good time when I could watch. Wow, what a build up. I’ve watched it up to the 7th episode and the reveal at the end and the final moments for Theresa was a surprise. Her demise was such a horrific one considering when she learns the truth. I’ve tried not to read this thread and see any spoilers. I’ve only seen comments after each episode I viewed. The only spoiler I saw was that Bernard could be a host. I’m trying to decide if I want to continue tonight or save it for a few days. I also have the second season blu ray. But like when I watched Mad Men on blu ray, I tried to make it last to savor it since the third season is a while off? I imagine Ford’s endgame will be reviealed, or more of it will be by the end of the first year.

The concepts that they are showing so far reminds me of so many other concepts explored before in films and TV. But this is really well done in its own world. I thought of Bladerunner too. And I thought of The Stepford Wives as well.

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I just finished a "binge watch" if S1.

A coworker has been trying to get me to watch this series since it first started. I resisted as I do not like the original movie and feel the robot/android motif, especially one going rogue, has rarely been done well in movies and on TV. S1 went on sale for ~$10 at Amazon so I purchased a copy in spite of my reservations about the series. I love SF, I like Mysteries, and I like Westerns.

I absolutely did not like the score and can't believe the guy who does such a good job on GoT does this one. The score intrudes on dialog in attempts to inject emotion when there is none (of course that's not his fault but poor scripting). It poorly uses pop/rock/classical pieces, often in very cliche' ways. All those detract from the original portions of the score. I kept longing for a "watch without music" option on the audio tracks.

It was a rough slog. I kept thinking it would get better but it never did. The pacing was glacial. I never cared for any of the characters, human or host, and got incredibly tired and bored of all the repeated segments. It was frequently like watching Groundhog Day with the good bits stripped out. The majority of the "mystery" bits were rather obvious with much of it feeling like it was intended to be misdirection. Most of the plot was exactly that and had little bearing on the end. It did take some time to "get" the overlapping timelines which felt contrived and designed to confuse just for confusion's sake. Had Ed Harris' character looked like him when young, as did the CGI enhanced young Anthony Hopkins character, things would have been significantly more obvious. That felt like a cheat by the showrunners, fully intended to confuse and obfuscate what they were trying to do. Of course by not stating Ed Harris' characters name they cheated further. By the time it got to the last episode I was past ready for it to end. Had I not been watching on disc I'd have given up after the 2nd or 3rd episode.

And that doesn't get into some of the highly implausible technical aspects of the park. Reading this thread shows they attempt to explain things, rather poorly, and still broke their own rules. That they felt the need for so many explanation articles plus a web site to guide and explain things speaks to the poor plotting and writing of the season. If it's not done properly in your show then you've failed.

I was considering a purchase of S2 just to see if things improve but a synopsis I read makes it sound mostly like a rehash of S1. I think I'll pass...

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If you didn't like the first season, and thought the pacing was glacial, definitely don't watch season two. I liked the first season a lot, and still found the second season to be a rough slog.

BobO'Link and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Season One was a blind buy. But I read a lot of positive reviews and I liked the film. I just finished the first season Blu Ray several weeks ago and I’m making my way into the second season Blu Ray, just finished the third episode.

I was just going with the flow. I enjoyed the first season and I didn’t get so wound up about the different time periods as it didn’t really occur to me. So the reveals, were a bit of a surprise. ( I had been carefully reading this thread as I made my way into the first season and read the theories, but I avoided as many spoilers as I could. ).

I think the first season was working out pretty well and felt like a massive expansion on the film concepts. That of the AI becoming self aware. The second season hasn’t been as good but I can see it’s taking it past the film and what happens when the hosts take over. It’s kind of nightmarish.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I watched the first season while it aired.

It was slow, but I definitely liked the big twist in the final two episodes.

That being said, I have had Season Two sitting on my Tivo for over a year and have had no urge to watch it. From what I hear, it's even slower in pace. I probably will never watch it, that is unless someone on this forum makes a strong argument to do otherwise.

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

I absolutely loved Season 1 and even more in re-watching it again before Season 2. Everything falls into place brilliantly the second time through.

Season 2 was an absolute mess. I made it through purely on the goodwill that Season 1 gave me. Storywise, it's much simpler than Season 1, but the way it's edited 'Memento' style makes it pure nonsense. I could re-watch it like 5 more times and still be no closer to deciphering it. Like Season 1, it's full of groundhog day scenarios, with two nearly identical loops, but it bounces back and forth between them so as to completely obfuscate what the hell is going on for no good reason. It actually would have helped greatly if they went full Memento and made the first loop black and white and the second in color.

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think my problem with season two is that, once you get the timeline and all of that, it’s actually covering a very short period of time and that not much actually happens. It has some (predictable) fallout from the first season, and sets up a potential third season, but there’s not much “there” there in terms of the story it’s actually tying to tell.

That wouldn’t necessarily be so bad if the show aired on a regular basis, but it doesn’t. It feels extra frustrating to wait about two years between season one and two, only for season two to be basically just setting up a season three rather than having anything interesting of its own to say, and even more frustrating to know that it’ll likely be at least two years before a season three. That’s a hell of a long time to not move the story forward while expecting your audience to be eagerly awaiting every moment.

14. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I'm not waiting. anymore.