Westworld (HBO)

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nolan is a veteran of the 22-episode broadcast grind with "Person of Interest", and that's a show with some truly brilliant hours of television, but also some truly pedestrian hours of television that were clearly just crapped out to fill out the season. With "Westworld", he seems to be going for all killer, no filler and that's what I want.
I think it's great to do a no-filler show. However, if they are only going to do 10 episodes, that should be achievable in a year -- particularly if Nolan has experience producing 22 episodes within the same time period. It makes no sense that it takes twice as long to produce less than half the amount of content.

HBO wants me to make both an emotional and financial commitment to their material (since they not only want me to enjoy watching the show, but also to pay a premium price to do so), but it doesn't seem right that they are unwilling to make any kind of commitment to me in return.

I also think, to quote Nicholas Meyer, that art thrives on limitations. How many of those truly brilliant hours of Person Of Interest came about because they had limited time, and came up with creative ideas to work with what they had on any given day? Some of my very favorite TV shows from a variety of series came about because the showrunners had unrelenting deadlines to meet, and ended up coming up with their best ideas while being backed into a corner. Unlimited budgets, unlimited time, and no deadlines leads to work that, to me, often feels meandering and bloated. Not always, and there are certainly exceptions to that rule, but I think working without any constraints has its downsides too.

Reactions: Stan

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I think it's great to do a no-filler show. However, if they are only going to do 10 episodes, that should be achievable in a year -- particularly if Nolan has experience producing 22 episodes within the same time period. It makes no sense that it takes twice as long to produce less than half the amount of content.

HBO wants me to make both an emotional and financial commitment to their material (since they not only want me to enjoy watching the show, but also to pay a premium price to do so), but it doesn't seem right that they are unwilling to make any kind of commitment to me in return.

I also think, to quote Nicholas Meyer, that art thrives on limitations. How many of those truly brilliant hours of Person Of Interest came about because they had limited time, and came up with creative ideas to work with what they had on any given day? Some of my very favorite TV shows from a variety of series came about because the showrunners had unrelenting deadlines to meet, and ended up coming up with their best ideas while being backed into a corner. Unlimited budgets, unlimited time, and no deadlines leads to work that, to me, often feels meandering and bloated. Not always, and there are certainly exceptions to that rule, but I think working without any constraints has its downsides too.
Always liked Person of Interest, but it just seemed to vanish, no graceful countdown until it ended. I'll add that to my re-watch list.

"Westworld" and "Game of Thrones" I'm incredibly annoyed with. Good grief, they've got huge budgets, just get on with it, why make the fans wait a year or more? Certainly doesn't create any tension, like "what happens next". Just ticks people off, many like me who no longer care.

Westworld season 2, showing up in 2019 or whenever. Not high on my list of shows to watch.

You'd think since I have six different versions of HBO they'd be able to replay it once in a while. AMC does it occasionally with "The Walking Dead". Kind of nice to catch up on episodes you've missed.

Bitch mode turned off :P

benbess

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Loved the first season of Westworld. Looking forward to season 2. To make a TV show that's movie quality takes a lot of time. Probably better to get used to it. Or just move on.

benbess

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
To put it another way, even if it's only 10 episodes, that's equal in playing time to about 3 full-length movies. And so they are delivering the equivalent of a trilogy all at once. Most big movies take about 3 years to make—a year for polishing and finalizing the screenplay, a year for pre-production and filming, and a year for post-production/editing/FX. Even the HBO TV shows that take almost 2 years are doing everything on an accelerated schedule compared to movies.

But on the flipside, back in the early to mid 1960s the Western The Virginian did somehow make 30 "movie-length" episodes each season (90 minutes with commercials, 75 without). But, each episode of The Virginian was a self-contained story, they didn't have any special effects to think about, and sometimes they used some stock footage for things. Plus sometimes they'd just drag scenes out a bit, as even I would admit as a fan of the show....

Anyway, different era. There are still some network TV shows that give you 20+ episodes each season, every year. But those shows aren't at the same level of quality imho as GoT or Westworld.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Westworld was brilliant. I’ve only seen it once and remember plenty. Have the 4K discs and will rewatch them soon.

Can’t wait for season two. Definitely one of HBO’s greatest series imo.

Josh Dial

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I also thought Westworld was brilliant, and easily one of the best shows of 2016. From the music, to the lighting, to the cinematography, each episode was absolutely dripping with production value.

Also, not for nothing, the season 1 thread had one of the best episode-by-episode discussions on this forum since the BSG/LOST days.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Always liked Person of Interest, but it just seemed to vanish, no graceful countdown until it ended. I'll add that to my re-watch list.

"Westworld" and "Game of Thrones" I'm incredibly annoyed with. Good grief, they've got huge budgets, just get on with it, why make the fans wait a year or more? Certainly doesn't create any tension, like "what happens next". Just ticks people off, many like me who no longer care.

Westworld season 2, showing up in 2019 or whenever. Not high on my list of shows to watch.

You'd think since I have six different versions of HBO they'd be able to replay it once in a while. AMC does it occasionally with "The Walking Dead". Kind of nice to catch up on episodes you've missed.

Bitch mode turned off :P
You can watch any show anytime you want with HBO Go. Which Is free since you already subscribe to HBO.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Amazing how widely opinions can diverge. I'm no fan of long waits, but 1000% in preference of waiting longer for the likes of Fargo, Better Call Saul, Westworld and GoT as we get them over getting them quicker without the full effort to realize creative vision.
There's no shortage of middling filler content. Let the likes of Big Bang Theory and L&O SVU do the scut work of providing reliable weekly veg-out time. I'm fine separating out timekiller television and appointment television, even if the latter takes longer to get to me.

Reactions: Tino and benbess

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Speaking for myself, I don't really mind waiting for something to be done right when I love the show (the aforementioned Better Call Saul or Fargo and even going back to stuff like Mad Men or The Sopranos) but in the case of Westworld where I'm more of a casual fan, the wait sure doesn't do anything to generate more interest in the show for me. If it takes a year and a half to do a show right so be it but I'm sure those waits can chip away at the audience for some shows. Fortunately for Westworld and Game Of Thrones, they're the biggest hits on HBO so they don't really have to worry about losing chunks of their audience due to long waits between seasons. If something like The Deuce took two years to come back, its fairly low numbers would only get lower.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
You can watch any show anytime you want with HBO Go. Which Is free since you already subscribe to HBO.
Wish I'd known that.:cool: Being a customer for over 30 years, an occasional reminder from HBO about what's available would have been nice. I'll check into that and hopefully catch up on some older stuff I've missed.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
"Westworld" Season 2 is the cover story for Entertainment Weekly:
  • Interviews with the cast about Season 2
  • 19 new photos from mysterious season 2
  • Returning characters for Season 2:
    Humans:
    • The Man in Black (Ed Harris in present day; Jimmi Simpson in flashbacks)
      He is trapped in the park during the host uprising. In flashbacks, we'll "discover how he gained so much influence over Delos Incorporated."
    • Elsie Hughes (Shannon Woodward)
      Last seen being strangled by Bernard, she now finds herself at the mercy of the hosts she once programmed.
    • Ashley Stubbs (Luke Hemsworth)
      Last seen being captured by a tribe of Native American hosts, he is another involuntary participant in the robot uprising.
    • Charlotte Hale (Tessa Thompson)
      The icy Delos corporate executive thought she'd manuevered Ford right where she wanted him. Now she finds herself at the mercy of his creations.
    • Lee Sizemore (Simon Quarterman)
      The head writer for the Westworld park finds the roles reversed, as he is taken hostage by Maeve and forced to follow her script.
    • Dr. Robert Ford (Casting TBD)
      The brutal execution of the park's mercurial founder and director during the first season finale was the domino that set the host uprising in motion. While Anthony Hopkins is not expected to return, the character will appear in William's storyline, played by a younger yet-to-be-announced actor.

Hosts:
    • Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood)
      The newly emancipated host, having fufilled her programming by executing Ford, is at the forefront of the host uprising.
    • Maeve (Thandie Newton)
      Maeve achieved sentience in the finale, breaking free of her programming to go after her daughter from a previous role in the park.
    • Bernard (Jeffrey Wright)
      Designed to approximate the park's late co-founder, Arnold Weber, Bernard finds himself straddling two worlds at the host uprising picks up steam.
    • Teddy (James Marsden)
      Programmed to fail his beloved Delores over and over again, Teddy is now the author of his own script.
    • Clementine (Angela Sarafyan)
      While the face is the same, expect an entirely new character for the second season.
    • Angela (Talulah Riley)
      The elegant, sophisticated, accommodating greeter for many of the park's guests for many many years, Angela will go from welcoming guests into this world to ruthlessly taking them out of it.
    • Abernathy (Louis Herthum)
      At the end of last season, forces within the park schemed to smuggle him out of the park for the crucial intelligence contained within. But as one of the few characters that Dolores has an emotional attachment to, he will become a crucial asset as the host uprising gathers steam.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To Adam's notes about casting -- but this is more of a Season One comment:
The casting note above explains why I disliked something in the first season. I don't think it was proper to have the Man In Black role played by two different actors at two different ages, but then having Anthony Hopkins playing the same character as both an older man and then as a younger man through the use of CGI de-aging. The young CGI Hopkins scene was shown first before it was revealed that Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson were playing the same character. I didn't like the internal inconsistency, and I felt it was a cheat. Because the show established with Hopkins that when we see a younger version of the same character, it's played by the same actor via CGI, it felt wrong to me that Harris and Simpson were then revealed to also be the same character; by the show's internal logic, it should have been Harris with CGI de-aging. But of course, with that reveal in the last episode, it turns out that it was the Hopkins CGI gag that was probably more inconsistent, since that's one episode vs. nearly ever episode with Harris and Simpson. If the young Hopkins is meant to be a significant part of the new season, it would be more internally consistent then to have a young actor than a CGI Hopkins. But I wish they had been consistent from the beginning. It's a small thing that may not bother anyone else, but it bugged me.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
That didn't bug me at the time, but the younger Ford looking different will probably bug me next season, just because we've seen the de-aged Hopkins from around the same time period. It's like Alden Ehrenreich playing Han Solo so close to the age when Harrison Ford first played Han Solo.

My guess is that that the flashbacks won't be nearly so essential to the story, though, so it won't be the critical flaw that it would seem to be for Solo. If they find an actor with a strong physical resemblance, that will go a long way toward easing my concerns. I can see why recasting makes a lot more sense than paying Hopkins salary and then the added expense of the digital de-aging process, when you can cast an unknown on the cheap who's already the right age.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is the most asinine thing I think I’ve ever come across in my life related to entertainment. So, the show runners seem to be a bunch of morons, apparently.

It creates a larger problem for us, though, in terms of the way your guesswork is reported online. 'Theories' can actually be spoilers, and the line between the two is confusing. It's something we've been thinking about since last season. The fans of Game of Thrones, for instance, rallied around and protected the secrets of the narrative in part because they already knew those secrets (through season 5).

We thought about this long and hard, and came to a difficult (and potentially controversial) decision. If you guys agree, we're going to post a video that lays out the plot (and twists and turns) of season 2. Everything. The whole sordid thing. Up front. That way the members of the community here who want the season spoiled for them can watch ahead, and then protect the rest of the community, and help to distinguish between what's 'theory' and what's spoiler.

'It's a new are, and a new world in terms of the relationship between folks making shows and the community watching them. And trust is a big part of that. We've made our cast a part of this decision, and they're fully supportive. We're so excited to be in this with you guys together. So if this post reaches 1000 upvotes we'll deliver the goods.

Hasta victoria siempre!
Jonah and Lisa
Of course it already has the votes. So the plot points and spoilers for season two are eminent. Direct from the freaking show runners. What a bunch of asshats.

So now I’ll have to actively avoid every single internet based topic, discussion, news story, etc... of this show for the entirety of its run. And I’m still likely to have some jerk spoil something significant somewhere unexpected. Because some dopes get off on that kind of crap. Lame.

I’m hoping this turns out to be a hoax or they are just trying to make a point and don’t do it, but at this point it looks like this is happening. So beware.

Josh Dial

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I absolutely love how this all turned out. This worked on many levels.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar