Westworld (HBO)

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Very happy to see the show get recognized, but not super surprised. With "Game of Thrones" ineligible this year due to the later start date, HBO was able to focus its awards campaign on this.

I have a feeling Anthony Hopkins is going to win for this, and he should. One of the great mercurial performances of the last year, that kept me guessing right up until the end.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I'm trying to watch this show, but I have to be in a certain mood to get through this concept. I'm not a huge fan of AI/Robot storylines.
I could never get into this show. With that said, a couple of weeks ago I pre-ordered the 4K/UHD release of the first season. Once received, I'm going to watch 2-3 episodes a week until I'm finished with it. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it more viewing it that way.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I could never get into this show. With that said, a couple of weeks ago I pre-ordered the 4K/UHD release of the first season. Once received, I'm going to watch 2-3 episodes a week until I'm finished with it. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it more viewing it that way.
I think this is a show that could benefit from binge watching. I'm tempted to order it, however I have pre-ordered so many 4K movies already... :)

NeilO

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I think this is a show that could benefit from binge watching.
We had a free HBO weekend on Dish Network a few months ago. Even though it was the weekend, I could "rent" the series for 6 days or so onto my DVR. I watched it all in the available time and enjoyed the experience.

One thing that made the experience better was also listening to a podcast about each episode after watching a few episodes. There was some speculation there (a decent amount of which they were correct) and it made it more like watching along with everyone else, listening to the discussion.
http://www.goldenspiralmedia.com/beyond-westworld

Reading the discussion here was also a nice bonus.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The good news -- from what it appears -- is that the show is going forward in time instead of telling a backstory (which we originally had heard). So this will hopefully be a continuation rather than a prequel.

Francois Caron

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Sorry! I meant Ed Harris! Got my Harrisses mixed up!

Then again, what exactly does Robert Harris do during his vacations? ;)

As for the show itself, I did have a bit of trouble watching it, even delaying viewing some episodes by a couple of weeks. It did tend to evolve a bit on the slow side. Hopefully, the second season will pick up the pace a bit.

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Very late response, but stopped following this thread.

Your first sentence says it all. "I could never get into this show".

Don't know what all the hype is about. How do people even stay awake watching it? :P

We all have different opinions, which we can politely express on HTF, but this show gets a big thumbs down from me.

Ed Harris has always been one of my favorite actors, way back to "The Abyss". This is a major step down for him, but anything with a paycheck, go for it.

Off topic, but Julianna Marguiles, wealthy beyond belief, yet doing voice-over ads for insurance, stocks or something, I FF through it all but catch bits and pieces. Just like Ed Harris, another paycheck.

Hanson

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The season definitely started out slow and some episodes felt like they were spinning wheels. But it finally got on track towards to end of the season and I'm counting on season 2 to carry that momentum forward.

Reactions: Richard V

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
The season definitely started out slow and some episodes felt like they were spinning wheels. But it finally got on track towards to end of the season and I'm counting on season 2 to carry that momentum forward.
Just coincidence I logged on just as you responded.(Of course I forgot to hit the Post Reply button) I'm always open, so I'll give it another try.

But the HBO "attitude" of this being such a special show isn't working well. Even burned out on "Game of Thrones", "We're so special, you'll wait to see our final episodes". Guess what, maybe I won't.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It might have had momentum if it had come back in a reasonable time. Two years later, I can't remember half the stuff from the first season, and I don't care enough to rewatch it.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
It might have had momentum if it had come back in a reasonable time. Two years later, I can't remember half the stuff from the first season, and I don't care enough to rewatch it.
I'll watch S2 but I don't remember much from the first year and I won't bother to rewatch S1 either. I tend to think that won't be a huge deal though. I think the writers know that the overwhelming majority of their audience will need a refresher due to the huge space of time between seasons and the dialogue & context will help to refresh memories or give the necessary info to follow the story in S2.

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Same thing with me. I've still got the last season of "Game of Thrones" on the DVR, but knowing it will be a year or so until they finish, almost in the mood to delete it, I don't care anymore.

Westworld, same thing. If HBO expects their audience to just hang out for years, guess what, there are better channels with better shows available.

So with GOT, they shoot across 68 locations in 17 different countries :eek:, along with tons of CGI, but give it a rest, just move on with the story or you lose your audience.

Westworld could be done in Utah or wherever with a very low budget. Just write it, hire the high end actors and do it.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I'm strongly in the camp of wanting them to take the time to do it right, rather than rush it to meet an artificial deadline.

Nolan is a veteran of the 22-episode broadcast grind with "Person of Interest", and that's a show with some truly brilliant hours of television, but also some truly pedestrian hours of television that were clearly just crapped out to fill out the season. With "Westworld", he seems to be going for all killer, no filler and that's what I want.

I'm juggling so many shows right now that I have trouble keeping up with them in the limited free time available after all of my other responsibilities and social obligations are met, to the point where it's crowding out a lot of the movie watching and book reading I used to love. Given that reality, I'm all for shorter, higher quality seasons and long breaks between them. It helps make the "workload" manageable. I can't remember the last time I was truly looking for something to watch.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naudkuneha