What's new

Western Digital to release 10k RPM desktop HDs (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Western Digital to Launch 10 000rpm Desktop HDD on the 11th of February!
Posted 2/05/03 at 2:02 pm by Anton

Western Digital company was the first to unveil a 7200rpm desktop HDD. WD was the first to offer 8MB buffer on desktop intended hard disk drives. Apparently, WD will be the first company to produce the first ever 10 000rpm HDD for desktop computers on the 11th of February this year. With the announcement next Tuesday WD will strengthen its market positions by continuing to bring technologies previously found in servers destined products to consumers data storage market.

The new line of WD’s HDDs will offer 8MB buffer, Serial ATA-150 interface and the glamour 10 000rpm fluid dynamic bearing motors! According to this Japanese web-site, WD plans to offer 5 year limited warranty on the HDD with MTBF of 1.2 million hours. I wonder how much one such baby is going to cost…

The new HDDs are going to offer significant performance improvements over the present generations of hard disk drives and WD itself is going to earn plenty selling such hi-tech devices to hardware enthusiasts.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1044471776

Sounds good to me! Not only will it be serial ATA, but a faster RPM.. that's like geek heaven.... or something. :)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
yeah, now they need to get to 15krpm and hop up the ram to 16mb. once that happens I'll buy a pair on the spot. . . at almost "no matter the cost"

KyleS

Screenwriter
That looks good, but will it sound like a jet engine?
My guess would be... Most likely. I have really never heard a SCSI 10 or 15K RPM drive that didnt sound like a jet engine. ;)

Its just the pure speed at which the drive spins that causes it to sound that loud. Maybe they will figure out a way to better insulate the drives?

KyleS

My Western Digital Special Edition hard drive decided it would hide from the bios and windows this morning. Good thing I use Drive Image for backup.Waiting for a reply from WDC.If you can't get the old stuff to work, why come out with something new?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hmm, i can't claim to have ever had a problem with my half a dozen WD drives. i have two sets that are paired in raid zero and three that are singles, oldest set is four years old and the newest are only a couple months old. all of them perform great. matter of fact the only wd drive that has died on me was one that suffered an impact off a high shelf (which i doubt any hard drive would have survived).

Users who are viewing this thread