West Wing - recommended viewing for a Sports Night fan?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott_J, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I was a big fan of Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night but have never seen an episode of West Wing. Now with the DVDs coming out later this year, I'm thinking of picking up the season 1 set as a blind buy. Is WW similar enough to SN that, as a fan of the latter, I'll like WW?

Opinions, please. Thanks.

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you're allergic to left-leaning politics, I'd avoid it. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend The West Wing, especially the first season, and especially if you like Sports Night. Similar energy, banter, and pacing.

//Ken

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

They just announced that Gary Cole is joining the cast next season as the new VP. I can see it now...

"Hey Senate, what's happening? If you could just go ahead and pass that joint budget resolution that would be great. Mmm'kay?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

As to the purpose of the thread, I agree with Ken. It's a very well written and acted show that happens to be unashamed of projecting a particular political philosophy. If you can accept that the politics aren't going to change, then you'll end up with a very compelling drama with equally compelling characters.

Brad

4. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

My wife and I disagreed vehemently with 90% of the politics displayed on the show, and yet we were both able to overlook that short coming (for us) and enjoy the show nonetheless.

Andy

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm a Democrat and obviously support the show. If you liked Sports Night, you will enjoy TWW. As mentioned above, the banter is virtually the same tone and style ... just different subject matter.

7. Josh W Pollack

Josh W Pollack Auditioning

I agree... if you like SN then you dig WW.

You might also notice many characters from sports night show up in the WW.

However, the political tenor of the show can be too much for some. Obviously, the show does have a severe liberal lean to it... but then so did sports night.

I just wish there was commentary from sorkin on the SP DVD.