West Wing 3-24-04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Henry Gale, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The series that gave us Gaff from Blade Runner as a Supreme Court Justice has done it again. Cast way against type, William Fichtner (look him up) was a sure to be confirmed, conservative nominee in tonight's episode.

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

It was a very good episode too. [​IMG]

3. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Glenn Close's role closely resembled that of Joan Allen in The Contenter - only thing missing was Gary Oldman's Runyon character.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I haven't watched it yet (it's on my DVR), but WW already did the supreme court nominee back in Season 1, replete with two choices they had to debate over. This can't be a good sign for the direction of the series.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I thought this was a very good episode. Even if this is the second time they have done an episode about a Supreme Court nomination, this was done very well.

My wife and I remembered William Fichtner from his days on As The World Turns.

6. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I liked the course of the episode, the humor and the discourse. But smack dab in the middle of the episode was another instance of the most irritating 'character trait' of John Lyman, his love affair with BS artists. He literally 'fell in love' with nominee Lang when she demonstrated how she would sidestep substantive questioning before the judiaciry committee and how she hoped to out BS them. With all the intelligent discourse and sophisticated machinations going on in TWW, I can only hope it's a planned character foible of Josh to be so enamored of those who present a plan to obfuscate.

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I hate to be picky but his character name is Josh Lyman.

8. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Doh!!

I knew that. Of course I knew that. Didn't notice the mistake until you pointed it out.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I finally watched it, and yes, they've been there and done that better, and more realistically. This episode gave the imporession that both justices were confirmed in a day or so. When they put Mendozza on the bench, it took months after they made their decision to nominate him. And the deal they made was highly suspect. The RNC would take much more time choosing their candidate, doing interviews similar to the way the President did which would have prevented Fichtner from being their choice. It was just too cheezy how his views played into the President's hands.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The episode gave no such impression. They ended the show with the press conference announcing the nominees. Perhaps by the way they were introduced you took it as they were already confirmed?

As for the RNC making their choice, these committees at all times have a short list of candidates they want so it really wasn't all that suspect.

11. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

I thought the episode was well done. I liked it a lot. The only thing that keeps bothering me is the fact that Judge Lang was being nominated for Chief Justice. Can they really do that? Doesn't that go by seniority or something? Can you go straight to Chief Justice without being an Associate Justice first?

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Yes they can nominate someone for the Chief Justice position without being an Associate first.

13. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

My state's Governor, Earl Warren was appointed Chief Justice by Dwight Eisenhower in 1953. Warren succeeded Fred M. Vinson who was Secretary of the Treasury when Harry Truman appointed him Chief Justice. There are probably others but there definitely is a precedent.