What's new

West Side Story (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Did MGM make the correction in the opening title sequence of the blu ray? I recall reading that they had placed (incorrectly) a fade out after the overture.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
They did a very slip-shod job. It still has the black out but it turns green. As I've always said -- that overture is my favorite part of the whole picture and they botched it.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
This how it is supposed look. The Blu-ray fades out to black and then comes up on Manhattan.

Are you sure that clip is how it is supposed to look? At 4:26, it transitions to a green I don't recall from the original and subsequent theatrical releases, moves out of it very quickly as though it somehow realizes its mistake and returns to blue. And then the camera appears to pull back (as was intended) to reveal the WEST SIDE STORY lettering. But I don't think that 3 second flash of green right before the end is how it is supposed to look...at least, I sure don't remember it that way.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There was never any green frame - it has been a mistake since the DVD transfer - they TRIED to fix it for the Blu-ray by first completely going to black then fading up. When everyone complained they tried to do it another way but it was half-assed. Clearly when they did the HD transfer for the DVD they screwed it up and have never EVER owned up to it or thought, "Gee, maybe we should just do a new transfer and get one of our crown jewels right."

Here, in this pan-and-scan laserdisc is how it should look. I don't want to really hear anymore how people at MGM/UA know what they're doing - if they did they would have fixed this long ago. They do not care.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
There was never any green frame - it has been a mistake since the DVD transfer - they TRIED to fix it for the Blu-ray by first completely going to black then fading up. When everyone complained they tried to do it another way but it was half-assed. Clearly when they did the HD transfer for the DVD they screwed it up and have never EVER owned up to it or thought, "Gee, maybe we should just do a new transfer and get one of our crown jewels right."

Here, in this pan-and-scan laserdisc is how it should look. I don't want to really hear anymore how people at MGM/UA know what they're doing - if they did they would have fixed this long ago. They do not care.

Any insights as to what we might be seeing at the Fathom showings of "West Side Story"?
Wednesday June 27th; final two shows. Check your local listings.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wasn't looking for any green frames so I didn't notice any. Looked gorgeous to me.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
The Youtube clip from ahollis is absolutely correct for the WSS overture. I watched WSS over 20 times in theaters long before any home video incarnations. I was lucky to see a 70MM screening with Robert Wise. I'm also a huge overture, entr'acte, exit music fan.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Youtube clip from ahollis is absolutely correct for the WSS overture. I watched WSS over 20 times in theaters long before any home video incarnations. I was lucky to see a 70MM screening with Robert Wise. I'm also a huge overture, entr'acte, exit music fan.

No, the clip provided by ME is how it's supposed to look - the clip provided by Allen has the green frame and is not correct. While the color sucks in the clip I provided it is accurate in terms of the transitions. Let's really stop having misinformation about this.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Right you are - no fade to black EVER. No green frame EVER. The green was a mistake when this transfer was done way back in the DVD days and MGM/UA for whatever reason, doesn't think it's important enough a film to fix the damn thing. It is shameful.

What is wrong with this site today??? So wonky.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
That is heartening. To be clear - no fadeout, not green frame, just a dissolve from one color to the next as in all the other dissolves in the sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks