What's new

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Concerning Sierra Boggess, there are justifiable arguments for either direction taken. Being a concert, versus an actual production, I would hate to think that all our great singers would be precluded from being heard. In concert, its about the voices; and I would have zero issues with whomever the voices were that caressed the Bernstein/Sondheim score. If the singers were 40 and up; rather than the actual ages of Tony and Maria; I would be fine with it all. If the singers were Asian, French, German or Swedish this would not affect me either. It's about the soloist or singers and the spotlight placed upon their forte or specific talents. Now, on the other side of this, I would also buy tickets to hear the soaring voice(s) and glory of any Latino, as well. Sierra Boggess understandably wanted - and perhaps dreamed - of being able to bring her vocal interpretations to this magnanimous score. The decision(s) of Ms. Boggess were quite brave and honorable; but in terms of a concert, I sincerely hope that all furture voices from any age or group would ultimately get to be heard.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have no issue whatsoever with non-Latino people singing individual songs from the score in the context of their individual acts. But a concert version of the entire show, which will only be missing staging, is another thing, because that requires the performer to portray the entire arc of the character, and that should be done by someone who matches the ethnicity of the character. If you were a white person who wanted to present one of Maria's songs in a different context within an evening of singing like a cabaret or something, sure, but if it's the whole show being sung and the story is being expressed, then that's not right, and I appreciate Sierra's recognition of that and stepping aside.

Hopefully, for the film, they just cast a Latina actress from the get-go and we don't have to have this drama.

Reactions: PMF

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Personally, I don't see that the above statement (and action) by Sierra Boggess proves anything...except that she changed her mind about performing in the production. Boggess singing the score doesn't "deny Latina singers the opportunity to sing this score"...much like a remake of West Side Story doesn't mean we still wouldn't be able to appreciate the 1961 film.

This whole issue confuses me.

I don't care if Boggess sings the part of Maria. I don't care if Kiri Te Kanawa sings Maria. I don't care if Ezio Pinza plays the part of Emile DeBeque. I don't care who plays whatever part--as long as they're good at it. (For example, I never really thought that much about casting Marlon Brando as Skye Masterson, but I digress. ;) )

There has been this hue and cry for colorblind casting (which advocates that an actor's ethnicity and skin-color aren't supposed to be considered when casting parts). But then there's something like this (with Boggess). Or the Hamilton producers saying that all cast members MUST be non-white (yet getting sued for discrimination). Or complaints about Natalie Wood playing Maria.

So which is it? Are we supposed to be colorblind when casting...or are we supposed to specifically cast ethnic types that reflect the parts as originally conceived by a show's creators? Which is acceptable/politically correct?

Frankly it seems that no matter which is done, someone is going to complain.

There are SO MANY reasons which might be taken into consideration when casting a part, I should think that whoever is financing the production should be allowed to pick whomever they want--or pick the person of their choice to make that informed decision for them. Why should the actors or audience have the right to feel aggrieved if someone to their liking isn't chosen? Seems like an odd system to me.

Hell, I'm aggrieved every time Lea Salonga isn't given the female lead in any musical play or film. But I don't go protesting the production...or thinking I should have a say in who should be cast. :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Boggess singing the score doesn't "deny Latina singers the opportunity to sing this score"

Yes it does, because she is talking about this production specifically, not in general. If Boggess were to remain in the role, a Latina actress would not be cast because she would fill the role. Therefore, it's an either-or situation. The role is written specifically as Latina, which informs the story, and therefore it should be played by a Latina actress. She is stepping away with the hope that the producers will cast a Latina in the role when they replace her.

So which is it? Are we supposed to be colorblind when casting...or are we supposed to specifically cast ethnic types that reflect the parts as originally conceived by a show's creators? Which is acceptable/politically correct?

Great question, and the answer for me is: both. It depends on what the piece is, how it has been written, and whether or not race is part of the story.

First, if the author of the piece has indicated in the script what the race of a particular character must be, then that must be respected in all cases.

If the race of the character is not specified, then sure, cast it colorblind.

For example, Kristoff in Frozen can be portrayed by a black actor onstage (as he currently is in the Broadway production) even though he's a white guy in the film because the story doesn't deal with his race. It would be the same story if they had decided to animate him as a black man, so the actor's race is a non-issue. There's nothing in the narrative as written that dictates he has to be one race or another.

I also think that colorblind casting has to work both ways for shows like Frozen. The guy who got the role of Kristoff now is black, and he got it because he was the best person who auditioned. When, eventually, he wants to lave the show, they should also pick the best person who auditions to replace him, whether his successor is another black man, or a white man, or an Asian man, or a blue dude from the Avatar world, or whatever. The race of that character can be anything and it doesn't change his arc in any way. It should also be noted that the authors of Frozen, Jennifer Lee (who wrote the screenplay and musical book) and Kristin Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, who wrote the songs, have approved the casting, and will likely continue to do so for replacements. There will likely be many replacements, since the show will probably run for a decade or longer.

On the other hand, Maria needs to be Latina precisely because the story is about racial tensions between Latinos and whites, so that doesn't make sense for a white person to be playing that part. If West Side Story did not involve race as part of its story, then it would be fine for anyone of any race to play Maria. But it IS fundamentally about race, and if you remove race from the story, that would fundamentally change it, so that must be considered in the casting. Other examples: A Raisin in the Sun, Hairspray, etc. Stories where the character's race is fundamental to what is being said and what they go through in the arc of the play absolutely must respect the cultures about which they are written and cast accordingly.

With Hamilton, they are making a point in that show about non-white people taking ownership of this nation's history when thy have been discriminated against in the past. It's intrinsic to the way they are telling the story to deliberately give the roles to people who don't look like the people they are playing did in real life, so that falls under the heading of "creative choice." If Hamilton were to be performed by an all-white company, it would lose part of Lin Manuel-Miranda's message with the show, which is to to present "the story of America then as told by America now." This is Lin's piece, and as the writer, he retains the right to indicate how it should be cast.

Also, there are white people in Hamilton, so the stage portrays an ethnic mix. It's only the leads who must be non-white because the conception of the show is about non-whites taking ownership of the nation's history. King George III is white, specifically so that he is not the same race as the others. And white people play various ensemble roles.

Frankly it seems that no matter which is done, someone is going to complain.

You are right about that, for sure.

Hell, I'm aggrieved every time Lea Salonga isn't given the female lead in any musical play or film.

Lea Salonga is currently appearing in the Broadway revival of Once On This Island at Circle in the Square Theatre in New York Ciy. This sidebar has nothing whatsoever to do with West Side Story but is just mainly here just to say that any fans of hers should go look that up. The new cast album from Broadway Records is AWESOME.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I have no issue whatsoever with non-Latino people singing individual songs from the score in the context of their individual acts. But a concert version of the entire show, which will only be missing staging, is another thing, because that requires the performer to portray the entire arc of the character, and that should be done by someone who matches the ethnicity of the character. [...]
I must have misinterpreted the Sierra Boggess quote of "Because it was a concert presentation and not the show proper..." as meaning just that. "A concert presentation". In the end, her decision was informed by what she felt to be right and has proven to be an interesting move. As for the film, I've heard that Meryl Streep will be playing Maria; as she has always wanted to sing the part. To accommodate, the Jets have now been switched to Latino and the Sharks will be white to avoid any controversy. Other re-writes included concern Maria as now being Anybody's much older sister who has left a convent and is unversed in the true ways of the world. Due to Streep and Spielberg's demanding schedules, its expected that her portrayal of Maria will garner her a 23rd Oscar nomination; with Ms. Streep's 22nd nomination being due out by late December of 2018.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes it does, because she is talking about this production specifically, not in general. If Boggess were to remain in the role, a Latina actress would not be cast because she would fill the role. Therefore, it's an either-or situation. The role is written specifically as Latina, which informs the story, and therefore it should be played by a Latina actress. She is stepping away with the hope that the producers will cast a Latina in the role when they replace her.

No. It doesn't. I understand that she went through some deep soul-searching and came to this realization that she should not perform in this particular production for some personal belief.

Her words:

After much reflection, I've realized that if I were to do this concert, it would once again deny Latinas the opportunity to sing this score, as well as deny the IMPORTANCE of seeing themselves represented onstage. And that would be a huge mistake.

I just can't see how her stepping away from this performance accomplishes anything of value--outside of assuaging some kind of guilty feeling that had been fostered within her. And that's fine for her. But she has no input as to who succeeds her in the part, except the belief that through her statement she may put pressure on the show's producers as to who they hire as a replacement. But how can they be trusted to get it right this time (except they now have her inspired guidance)? It's a farcical thing to think that she could not have done the role justice and allowed the lyrics, melodies and her own artistic abilities to convey the proper depth and emotion that the role requires.

So we want colorblind casting, but not when it's inconvenient (or makes us feel guilty)? This really isn't one of those things you can have both ways. Either a person can act/sing the part (and satisfy the audience) or they can't.

Am I somehow less wrong than Jake in that I want the best possible (according to the producers) person in the role rather than the person who should be in the role because of their DNA?

But we are further blessed because Boggess then, after all, goes on to let us know that we, apparently, have reached critical mass on this important issue:

Since the announcement of this concert, I have had many conversations about why this is a crucial time, now more than ever, to not perpetuate the miscasting of this show.

So she has had "conversations" which have helped her see the light. But, gosh,I wonder why she feels--"now more than ever" it's important for her to take this position?

I apologize for not coming to this realization sooner and as an artist, I must ask myself how I can best serve the world, and in this case my choice is clearer than ever: to step aside and allow an opportunity to correct a wrong that has been done for years with this show in particular. I have therefore withdrawn myself from this concert and I look forward to continuing to be a voice for change in our community and our world!

So she also feels the need to apologize, after having done nothing more than honestly accept a gig...but then continue on...letting us know that this is going to "best serve the world" and that she is "correcting a wrong."

I see this as nothing more than a poorly worded statement by a puffed-up self-important celebrity who thinks that whatever they do has some important societal consequences.

How about if she had just quietly backed out without issuing some very public scolding about not just how wrong society is to deny this opportunity to Latinas to sing the part of Maria in West Side Story...and to hopefully affect even more positive change in this world? She might've even privately explained to the producers why she was backing out--in the hope that she could effectively convince them to re-cast a Latina--without having to don her superhero costume and save the world from themselves.

But that would require humility.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So we want colorblind casting, but not when it's inconvenient (or makes us feel guilty)? This really isn't one of those things you can have both ways. Either a person can act/sing the part (and satisfy the audience) or they can't.

No, that's not it. When race is involved in the story, it's inappropriate to cast colorblind because the race of the character must be honored. Would you cast a white actor to play Martin Luther King? In a story about him, being black is a essential qualification for the role. A white actor may be very good, but he is simply not qualified to inhabit the role of an African-American. Maria in West Side Story is no different just because she happens to be fictional.

When the race of the character is not commented on inside the story being told, then it's absolutely fine to cast colorblind. That's why in Frozen, Kristoff can be black or white or Asian or whatever.

Of course Boggess knows that she cannot select her replacement. She is doing what she feels is right and ultimately has no control over who her replacement will be. However, the "very public scolding" was stated for her on social media when her casting was announced. She could have backed out without saying anything, but obviously felt that adding her voice to the conversation that was already happening would be helpful. We'll see if she was right or not when they announce who replaces her.

I must have misinterpreted the Sierra Boggess quote of "Because it was a concert presentation and not the show proper..." as meaning just that. "A concert presentation".

My understanding is that it is a concert presentation of the entire show -- meaning all the songs will be sung and probably the book scenes will be read. The only thing that differentiates it from a full production of the show is that there won't be blocking, movement, choreography, etc. Therefore, that differentiates it from being a concert of various pieces of music in which a single song or two is being excerpted without the context of the story surrounding them.

Please update us when her replacement is known.

Will do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No, that's not it. When race is involved in the story, it's inappropriate to cast colorblind because the race of the character must be honored. Would you cast a white actor to play Martin Luther King? In a story about him, being black is a essential qualification for the role. A white actor may be very good, but he is simply not qualified to inhabit the role of an African-American. Maria in West Side Story is no different just because she happens to be fictional.

Sure. Cast a white actor to play MLK...if that's what the show's producers/directors want to do. Maybe they'd have some artistic reason for wanting to do so (maybe to make some kind of point that we really need to be colorblind on the subject of race). Such a decision might be the WORST decision the show's producers could ever make in their professional careers...but it's theirs to make. And they'll deal with the consequences. Should there be some rule that says they CAN'T?

So it should be the same for casting Maria. Maybe they think casting Boguss is in the best interests of the production. And if some people decide they don't want to see it because of that, fine. Yet if some do, that's fine, too.

And if Boguss doesn't want the role, she has every right to back out (contractual obligations notwithstanding). But I just don't want a lecture from an actor explaining to me what's wrong with my world and how she is awesome for trying to fix it--especially when it's not in her job description to do so. She should say her lines and sing her songs and entertain me. I get enough uninformed activism in my life without entertainers piling on even more.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We see a lot of plays. Blind casting works and it doesn’t depending on the show. We once saw a road show production of “Beauty And The Beast” with Bell being played by an Asian girl. She was quite lovely, but not the young French girl the part requires. It took you out of the play.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And if Boguss doesn't want the role, she has every right to back out (contractual obligations notwithstanding). But I just don't want a lecture from an actor explaining to me what's wrong with my world and how she is awesome for trying to fix it--especially when it's not in her job description to do so. She should say her lines and sing her songs and entertain me. I get enough uninformed activism in my life without entertainers piling on even more.

I get what you're saying, but she has a platform because she is a public figure which allows her to draw attention to causes because of her status. It's the same as when entertainers publicly endorse political candidates. They feel like they should use their platform to bring about the change they want to see. I can't blame them for that, even the ones with whose views I disagree. But Boggess advocating for the hiring of a Latina in this role is really the same thing as Celebrity Joe Smith advocating for Political Candidate XYZ. Because I don't want to actually turn this conversation political, I'm going to leave that example there and not go further. I think the idea I'm trying to get across is clear.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It took you out of the play.

Belle is an interesting case because, even though the show is set in France, she is not typically played with a French accent or typically required to appear French. Paige O'Hara is American and Emma Watson is British and they both played her on film. I personally wouldn't have a problem with an Asian Belle, but I see what you are saying. The content of West Side Story revolves entirely around Maria being Latina, because of the racism directed at the Latino characters by the white characters in the show. That's not really the case in Beauty and the Beast.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast goes...I'm not sure it makes any sense to "go there."

Gaston lives in the same French village as Belle. During the song Belle (in the 2017 version), Gaston tells his sidekick LeFou that "she's the only girl that gives me that sense of..."

And LeFou attempts to finish his thought by by saying: "je ne sais quoi?"

And Gaston responds, "I don't know what that means."

The absurdity of French characters singing English lyrics with occasional French phrases included which they claim to not understand is evident.

I get what you're saying, but she has a platform because she is a public figure which allows her to draw attention to causes because of her status. It's the same as when entertainers publicly endorse political candidates. They feel like they should use their platform to bring about the change they want to see. I can't blame them for that, even the ones with whose views I disagree. But Boggess advocating for the hiring of a Latina in this role is really the same thing as Celebrity Joe Smith advocating for Political Candidate XYZ. Because I don't want to actually turn this conversation political, I'm going to leave that example there and not go further. I think the idea I'm trying to get across is clear.

I can blame them (celebrities) for talking about things of which they have no understanding. It's an ill-informed waste of time which can serve the purpose of misinforming people who don't understand that celebrities can actually understand LESS about something than they do. Just because a celebrity "feels like" they should use their platform to advocate for something they know nothing about, I don't think they should do it and I wish more people would ignore them so they would stop doing it.

Bogess is simply unqualified to tell other people how to spend their money. Just because she can sing pretty doesn't make her an expert on how theatrical producers should do their job. She has no standing and should keep her mouth shut...except, of course, when it comes to doing what she actually knows--performance.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bogess is simply unqualified to tell other people how to spend their money. Just because she can sing pretty doesn't make her an expert on how theatrical producers should do their job. She has no standing and should keep her mouth shut...except, of course, when it comes to doing what she actually knows--performance.

The producers gave her standing when they hired her. It's perfectly reasonable for her to add her voice to a conversation which revolves around her casting and was not even started by her.

If the producers decide to cast another white woman in the role, that's their call. But they would face the same social media and public relations outcry as was generated by the casting of Boggess. If they wish to proceed in that fashion, Boggess' statement will not stop them. But they would have to deal with the PR consequences of such a move. We'll see what they do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid we need to wind down this off-topic sidebar, Jake.

But I don't see how if I'm hired by someone to do a job that gives me standing to start telling my boss what-to-do and how to run his business--especially after I decide to quit. She is nothing but hired-help who has a grand, self-important vision of her role in that mess.

Keep in mind that no matter how the producers decide to re-cast the role, Boggess had nothing to do with it. She just wants you to think she did (if they cast a Latina). She is doing nothing more than trying to put lipstick on a pig since she was likely "forced out" of the role and didn't want it to just look like she was fired. So, instead, she represents herself as someone who wants to save the world from this injustice.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Which is fine. And, yes, this has gotten farther away from the topic at hand than I originally intended, as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The bizarre thing is that all of the trustworthy news outlets reported that this won't go into production until after Indiana Jones 5, but that movie isn't shooting until spring of next year.

Kushner has apparently already completed his screenplay, and they're sticking with the Bernstein/Sondheim music and lyrics (maybe or maybe not including Miranda's bilingual contributions). And now they're casting the major roles. This one seems much further along than Indy 5, so it's strange that it apparently won't be filming until Fall 2019 at the earliest.

20th Century Fox is going to continue as if it's business as usual. They can't afford to freeze until the merger concludes. If it doesn't end up going through -- and there are sizable obstacles that could still cause problems -- they'd be dead in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks