What's new

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don’t get the criticism of the original West Side Story as apart from Natalie Wood all the Sharks were of Hispanic origin or rather the actors had some ethnic ancestry.

We have discussed this many times in this thread. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to go over this again -- it's certainly not why I bumped the thread a couple days ago -- but here goes.

I think It is easy to understand why Latino audiences might take issue with the fact that, in a story that is fundamentally about race, the girl who Tony is shown to be in love with is the one who is actually white. This casting choice was totally acceptable in 1961 because Hollywood did not place a value on inclusivity at that time. However, it muddles the message of the film when considered through the lens of 2021.

That doesn't mean the 1961 film is automatically devoid of value because they made a different choice than would be made 60 years later. It doesn't even mean that Natalie Wood did bad work in the role. She did not.

It does mean that those choices can be addressed by making the film again in a more inclusive way. There can be value in having a new version on the shelf next to the old one.

And, for the record, the interview I posted with Talia Ryder on Saturday is a really good read for anyone interested in the making of the new film. I bumped this thread to post it and it doesn't seem to have gotten much attention because the debate about the possible merits of this film versus the original overtook it after I posted. So I would recommend going and reading that if you are interested. Here is the link again for anyone who doesn't want to go back trying to find it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree. There is no reason for them to have a trailer this early.

At the earliest, it would be appropriate to have one on In the Heights in June, since both are musicals and feature Latino casts.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
A trailer when we have no idea when theatres will reopen seems silly. I’m really frustrated seeing previews of Dune not knowing when I can see it on the big screen, as I have no desire to see it anywhere but on a giant screen.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
A trailer when we have no idea when theatres will reopen seems silly. I’m really frustrated seeing previews of Dune not knowing when I can see it on the big screen, as I have no desire to see it anywhere but on a giant screen.
Regal announced they are opening their theaters starting 4/2 and will have most of them open by 4/16.

Everyone else is already open.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’m really frustrated seeing previews of Dune not knowing when I can see it on the big screen, as I have no desire to see it anywhere but on a giant screen.

Dune is being released on October 1. At this point in time, I see no reason to expect a further delay.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Regal announced they are opening their theaters starting 4/2 and will have most of them open by 4/16.

Everyone else is already open.
What do you mean 'everyone else is already open'? Maybe where you are, but a lot of the country has not yet reopened, and definitely not at regular capacity (or where people feel safe or comfortable).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, since this is essentially a Disney release, what do we think of its chances of making its Dec. 10 release, now that Disney has moved The King’s Man (another 20th Century release) to Dec. 22?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So, since this is essentially a Disney release, what do we think of its chances of making its Dec. 10 release, now that Disney has moved The King’s Man (another 20th Century release) to Dec. 22?

I don't think that's a problem. Even though they are from the same studio, The King's Man is targeting a different audience segment than West Side Story does. If the box office is healthy by December, these two titles will be able to coexist.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
HAMILTON on stage opened in Sydney last night with 100% capacity allowed.

I think Paul was referring to movie theaters rather than live ones given that this thread is about a movie. That being said, I'm guessing that Australia is in a different place right now than the United States is as it relates to controlling the virus, which would allow for them to have things like that open while we can't.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jerome Robbins knew little about filmmaking, so no, they CO-directed - Robbins did the choreography and probably consulted on the angles and stuff, but that was Wise's domain. And the only outdoor sequence that was ever planned was the opening.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
Jerome Robbins knew little about filmmaking, so no, they CO-directed - Robbins did the choreography and probably consulted on the angles and stuff, but that was Wise's domain. And the only outdoor sequence that was ever planned was the opening.
I also believe that Robbins was taking far too long and doing take after take so was removed. I think Wise's contribution to the directing was far greater. The choreography had already been rehearsed prior apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks