Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Singing, dancing street gangs and your biggest cast name is Ansel Elgort.
Obviously, you either go with the singing and dancing or you don't. There have been musical hits recently, so I don't think that's an inherent problem. However, I do think the intention here is for West Side Story to be the brand name. Also, Rita Moreno having returned to this piece again makes her a big name, in connection with this work. It's the same kind of profile boost that Hairspray received for being John Travolta's return to musicals so many years after Grease.

Obviously, no one really knows anything about box office at this point. However, if this is released at a time where moviegoing has returned to normal, I don't have any problem imagining this significantly exceeding a $50 million take.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
WEST SIDE STORY is a rare film that will not need any advance publicity,trailers etc. .To me it is the most eagerly awaited American film of the year (and the only one so far). It is irrelevant to me when it will finally be released. One must be patient as it will eventually be released. No sense in guessing when that will be.
I live in NYC and believe me, there is almost NO awareness around this film.

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I think it's going to be a difficult sell to modern audiences. Singing, dancing street gangs and your biggest cast name is Ansel Elgort. I enjoy musicals, but I've never been able to work up much interest for any version of WSS.

Spielberg with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in The Post could only swing about $80 million domestic. I'm not sure this will reach that level, and the budget for this is listed at $100 million.

I disagree as judging by the large amount of interest in the new version of WSS in this forum,there seems to be a huge number of people who can't wait to see it. One cannot compare WSS with THE POST as THE POST was a film with very limited appeal storywise. Why wouldn't young audiences go to see WSS? It has been popular on stage for audiences of all ages for more than 60 years and it is continuously being staged somewhere in the world .It is often regarded as the greatest American musical of all time. I have never heard of Ansel Elgort. Very strange for you to say that you love musicals but WWS is not one of them. WSS is even more relevant today than when it was in the late fifties when it premiered. Spielberg's version will show that. Are there any other forum readers who enjoy musicals yet have little or no liking for WSS? It is a dance musical and every dance,including the rumble and other gang content are choreographed dance numbers. I would love to see WSS as a ballet.It has been done with MY FAIR LADY in Europe so why not WSS?

• Appreciate
Reactions: usrunnr

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Not surprised as they have far more important problems with people dying of the Corona virus than to care about any movie's release.There has been a fair bit of publicity on Youtube however. WSS is a film that will have a World wide appeal and not just in NYC as the original film and countless stage revivals did and still do

Reactions: usrunnr

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I disagree as judging by the large amount of interest in the new version of WSS in this forum,there seems to be a huge number of people who can't wait to see it.
People here spend their time online reading about films. We are simply not an indicative sample of the wider public conciseness. They are going to need to reach a much wider audience than just us, and those people don't know the film exists yet because it hasn't been marketed yet.

Why wouldn't young audiences go to see WSS?
Is this a serious question? Because I can absolutely see a scenario in which case younger audiences wouldn't pay attention to a remake of an antiquated title from 59 years ago. I'm not saying that I agree with that view, but there are young audiences who might. When I was in drama class in high school, which was an elective, I was the only person in the entire class who had ever heard of The Sound of Music. The textbook mentioned Julie Andrews, and when asked by a student who she was, the only movie that the teacher cited that caused any recognition at all was Shrek 2, because she was the voice of Fiona's mother. Not Mary Poppins. Not The Sound of Music. Shrek 2. My high school experience does not reflect the entirety of young audiences, but it does reflect some of them, and their awareness of famous musical films was sorely lacking.

It has been popular on stage for audiences of all ages for more than 60 years and it is continuously being staged somewhere in the world .
Not right now, it isn't.

I have never heard of Ansel Elgort.
Well, a lot of audiences in the younger generation have and it was obviously Disney's intention to use him as part of the marketing outreach. The Fault in Our Stars, Baby Driver, etc.

Very strange for you to say that you love musicals but WWS is not one of them. WSS is even more relevant today than when it was in the late fifties when it premiered. Spielberg's version will show that. Are there any other forum readers who enjoy musicals yet have little or no liking for WSS?
Why? Personal taste is personal taste and has nothing to do with relevancy, or how many other people like the same thing. I love musicals, including WSS, but there are musicals that I don't like. A fan of the genre is not required to be a fan of every single thing in the genre. if @Malcolm R doesn't like West Side Story, that just comes down to his preferences.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I never said I didn't like it. I've never seen it. But as noted, it's not a premise that I find very appealing. I believe I have the DVD somewhere in my collection (I think it was $3 at Big Lots one time), but have not watched it. I'll get to it someday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
100% accurate. There is no awareness of films at all right now and WST will be better off in 2021.

As the Times headlined last week, movie theaters have finally reopened in a good part of the country.....and nobody is going.

Though these threads on this Forum remain robust, the reality is movies have taken a cultural back seat to politics and people's health.

• Agreed

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
movies have taken a cultural back seat to politics and people's health.
In-theater movies, yes. I know a lot of people who are still watching new movies at home.

But yes -- I am absolutely delighted with the delay because it means I won't have to worry about missing the film. Also, the remake will now hit theaters in the 60th anniversary year of the original version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard M S

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course theaters will probably all be bankrupt by December 2021 so they won't be able to show it.
Someone needs to solve that problem. Without getting into politics, I would think the government should be interested in preventing the collapse of an industry which had an $11 billion grossing year in 2021 before you add in all the concessions.

However, the best thing right now for this film is for it to be delayed, and so I am glad Disney did the right thing by moving it.

I have updated the thread title accordingly to denote next year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Someone needs to solve that problem. Without getting into politics, I would think the government should be interested in preventing the collapse of an industry which had an $11 billion grossing year in 2021 before you add in all the concessions.
It's also an industry that has been highly critical of a certain person so sadly, there is zero chance that he'll give them any kind of a lifeline. Zero. I wouldn't be surprised to see him publicly revel in damaging the movie industry no matter the economic cost, the loss of jobs, the enjoyment of the public, etc.

• Agreed

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Correction: I meant "$11 billion grossing year in 2019." Not sure why I typed 2021 there. Brain freeze.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Some Trivia per IMDB. I wonder if the new film will restore the Broadway original.

Riff and Tony repeat an oath of loyalty to each other: Riff says "womb to tomb" and Tony answers "birth to earth." On stage Tony's original answer was "sperm to worm," but this was changed for the movie because it was beyond the censorship standards of the time.

In the scene on the roof before the musical number "America", when the girls are mocking Bernardo's speech, one of the girls say ,"We came with our hearts open", one of the Sharks says, "You came with your pants open!" This line had to be changed to "You came with your mouth open," for the movie because of censorship standards.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think both of those could stay intact now if Spielberg wants them to, but it is equally possible they won't be there.

When updating the release date in the first post, I noticed I started this thread back on January 19, 2008 and that was 36 pages ago.

Anyone want to guess how long the thread will end up being before the film finally comes out? :laugh:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Disney are still keeping their December date open so one never knows when WSS may finally arrive Dec 2021 or sooner? I doubt that we will have to wait another year.

• Disagree

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney are still keeping their December date open
No they're not. They have shifted the remake of Death on the Nile to December 18 to take its place.

I doubt that we will have to wait another year.
Is this a joke? Respectfully, did you read today's other posts? I literally posted this morning, on this page. The film has been redated to December 10, 2021. See my post #707. Or the thread title, which has been updated accordingly with next year in the parentheses.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
No they're not. They have shifted the remake of Death on the Nile to December 18 to take its place.

Is this a joke? Respectfully, did you read today's other posts? I literally posted this morning, on this page. The film has been redated to December 10, 2021. See my post #707. Or the thread title, which has been updated accordingly with next year in the parentheses.
I was just repeating what Disney stated in the Hollywood Reporter a couple of days ago. More likely to believer what Disney said and not some forum reader's posts which cannot always be trusted.

• Haha

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was just repeating what Disney stated in the Hollywood Reporter a couple of days ago.
Can you provide a link to this article? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

More likely to believer what Disney said and not some forum reader's posts which cannot always be trusted.
Like The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline is a respected Hollywood trade website. They report the news that they get from the studios in regards to release date changes. They got this news from Disney yesterday, which supersedes earlier reports. Whether you believe it from me or not is your business, but that's why I cited the source by including the link in my original post on the matter. Disney has officially delayed the film to December 2021.

Here is The Hollywood Reporter saying the same thing, if you'd be more likely to believe it from them:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Steven Spielberg's West Side Story, from 20th Century and Amblin, is being delayed almost an entire year, moving from Dec. 18 to Dec. 10, 2021. Disney isn't giving up its seat at the 2020 Christmas table entirely and is relocating 20th Century's Death on the Nile from Oct. 23 to Dec. 18.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...west-side-story-delayed-to-2021-amid-pandemic

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gopal babu