WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea how to get it from the Oppo to my computer (with no Blu-ray drive) to post it.

Mike Frezon

Charles Smith said:
Okay, folks. An hour ago my curiosity finally won out and I checked my copy. I'd actually intended to check it some days earlier, but never seemed to remember once I got away from the computer and into the movie room.

Listened to the 7.1 first, ever mindful of the warning above that you're going to hear what you expect to hear. Well, there it was, as clear as day. Either that, or some combination of speech and/or sounds that amazingly resulted in sounding like the line.

Switched to the 4.0. Heard "punks" clearly. Fortunately, this is just a few seconds after a chapter stop, so it's easy to play and replay. Ran it again. And again. Now I was hearing the offending line. Huh? Double-checked the audio track. Sure enough, still on 4.0. Played it again. Went back to the 7.1. No question about it there. Back to the 4.0, and something had happened: it was thereafter impossible for me to hear "punks".

I kid you not.

So, power of suggestion? Mass hallucination? I left it out so I'll remember to try again another day. And I'll be able to test it with a couple of other people who won't have the slightest idea what the issue is.

This is the Target 3-disc digibook set. (Didn't want the big box of whatever.) I'd given the corresponding DVD to someone right away, so can't check that.
I played the section-in-question tonight on my Blu copy (both the 7.1 and the 4.0 tracks), the DVD that came with the Blu copy (5.1 track) and the 2003 "red box" CE DVD version. So that's four different English-speaking audio tracks.

It sounded the same in all instances. And if you listen to it, I would have a hard time believing that you wouldn't agree with the OP with what he thinks he hears. While I can believe it is a strange happenstance of the audio mix (probably in the original film elements)--as noted by David Weicker back in post #5 of this thread--it sure does sound like the offending phrase as presented by the OP.

In fact, as I was playing the section tonight, my wife (who was in the room with me but had NO IDEA what I was doing or why I was doing it) said to me: "did he just say c&$%-sucker there?"

Reactions: DaveF

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thought I'd try it on my copy, and damned if I didn't hear it, too.

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cinerama10 said:
Actually they are investigating the issue.They have already apologised for the problem. They have also asked for several additional details. They cannot lose their reputation should a person responsible for the restoration, change some words as an ego trip. Two other friends who have viewed the film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else is out there where the restorer has done similar tricks. If you had heard the words you would know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.
Actually, they aren't, but it's all fine - you believe what you want.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland
I just played my Target 3-disc set and it CLEARLY is Simon Oakland saying "Break it up, you punks. Now cut it out." And I mean CLEARLY. It sounds nothing "c--ksuckers" at all on my disc. And there is no pause before the line.

For what it's worth, my disc is not the error-corrected one, BTW.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Having heard that, I'm prepared to believe that either:

A - He did say it

Or

B - It's more than one voice which, when combined, sounds like he's saying it.

The OP certainly isn't an idiot for believing it might be what's said.

Can we have the same audio clip for the other mix to compare?

Cheers.

Steve W

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Joe Isham said:
I heard "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out!"
Yes, listening again it sounds like

"Break it up you punks...."

Followed by an over lapping noise - maybe the word 'suckers'.

The over lapping noise - the voice that made it - can be heard overlapping the word 'up' in 'break it up', too, which leads me to think it's two voices.

Steve W

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, listening to this WAV file on this laptop, it's "punks", and there's another voice saying something right between "punks" and "cut it out", the sound and rhythm of which is what we're hearing as "sucker". Just as Yorkshire said. I'll check it out again later on the Blu-ray and real speakers.

Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I can understand the confusion, as it does sound rude at first, but having looped the clip over and over again it soon becomes apparent that it's overlapping words causing the seemingly distasteful result. If you focus, the phrase "break it up you punks, cut it out" can be distinguished, with the word "suckers" or "it's OK (s'okay)" or similar mixing in on top of it just as "punks" is being said. It's just two people yelling out their lines and coincidentally forming what sounds like a swear word.What I can say with some certainty is that it's unlikely to be the result of someone maliciously and deliberately dubbing a swear word there. If it was, it would be the lamest prank in movie history.Having said that, I still stand ready to boycott all Fox products and perhaps even participate in a mass protest outside their offices, if only to pass the time.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I played it back a few times and sometimes it sounded like the offending word and other times it sounded more innocuous. I think it's just a combination of this particular sound mix and two different lines that converge to sound like what the OP said it sounded like. Damndest thing.

Either way, this has been one of the best threads on this forum.

Reactions: Anthony Dale

Rob_Ray

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
All this brouhaha reminds me of when I first saw the film, which was on its American network premiere on NBC. During the Jets' Song, the word "buggin'" did not sound like "buggin'" (a word totally foreign to us high schoolers anyway) when played over the tinny speakers found on the portable black and white TV in my bedroom. The next day before class, when talking about what a great film it was, several of us were asking, "Did do you hear them say what I heard them say in that Jets' song?"!

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike Frezon said:
In fact, as I was playing the section tonight, my wife (who was in the room with me but had NO IDEA what I was doing or why I was doing it) said to me: "did he just say c&$%-sucker there?"
I had the same exact experience with my wife early this morning. I was repeatedly playing the WAV file over the PC speakers and she came in from the other room and asked "What do you keep listening to?" Without any explanation, I played the sound bite for her and asked what she heard -- she immediately said "c***sucker".

After listening multiple times, I agree with those who lean towards it being an unfortunate blending of multiple voices.

This discussion, and particularly the "Krup you!" story that Bruce told about his father earlier in the thread, remind me of the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode in which Larry David meets a real life Officer Krupke, then gets in trouble when a mother and her kids mis-hear him singing the song.

WARNING: Naughty language below...

Reactions: TravisR

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have a VHS copy of WEST SIDE STORY in my office and I just put it in and found that scene and Schrank says "Break it up you punks! Cut it out." and Krupke says "Knock it off!" right in the middle of Schrank's line. It's very clear what's being said and I'm playing the VHS on an old Trinitron SONY 13-inch monitor. I'm no audio expert but the fact that those lines of dialogue merge together on the Blu-ray to create that awkward effect baffles me. I'm sure some techie can explain it. Maybe we should hold on to our VHS copies after all. This is, in fact, the copy I used to introduce the film to my daughter and nephews and nieces. Saved myself some embarrassment, didn't I? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat