What's new

WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cremildo said:
This thread has became a humorous one right after the ludicrous first post. Nobody has actually dealt with race at all. Just because you suppose its on its way to forbidden subjects isn't enough to warrant it being moderated.
I only brought it up because I've seen how quickly these things get out of control and I thought that maybe saying something would stop a problem before it really got started. I guess I did get what I wanted though since the topic has shifted away from that area and into telling me that I'm wrong for making that suggestion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why...but the raison d'etre for this thread seems to have ceased. And, in its absence, participants are starting to get personal. Usually a sign of boredom.

I could easily close the thread...but members seemed to be enjoying the ride. If we can straighten things out...and stay away from personal comments, I'll let things ride for a little while longer.

Maybe the OP will return to let us know what he hears from Fox. :biggrin:

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Mike Frezon said:
I'm not sure why...but the raison d'etre for this thread seems to have ceased. And, in its absence, participants are starting to get personal. Usually a sign of boredom.

I could easily close the thread...but members seemed to be enjoying the ride. If we can straighten things out...and stay away from personal comments, I'll let things ride for a little while longer.

Maybe the OP will return to let us know what he hears from Fox. :biggrin:
Fox are investigating the matter.It may only concern the 4 disc limited edition set. Fox have asked for more details,which I have sent them.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This reminds me what happened when CD's arrived, & so many people had got the lyrics wrong from listening to the records (I always thought Hendrix had sung, excuse me while I kiss this guy, on Purple Haze), & for the first time I could make out most of the Steely Dan lyrics.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
haineshisway said:
I love that this guy thinks that Fox are investigating the manner. It's hilarious, actually.
Well, I certainly hope Mr. Cinerama10 has let Fox know that there's an entire thread devoted to this subject and every participant on it is eagerly awaiting the results of their investigation. Home Theater Forum demands complete answers, dammit!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
haineshisway said:
I love that this guy thinks that Fox are investigating the manner. It's hilarious, actually.
Actually they are investigating the issue.They have already apologised for the problem. They have also asked for several additional details. They cannot lose their reputation should a person responsible for the restoration, change some words as an ego trip. Two other friends who have viewed the film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else is out there where the restorer has done similar tricks. If you had heard the words you would know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Without wanting to be offensive, cinerama10, were the other two people told what to listen for before they listened?
Our brain does hear what we're told to expect. To really check, you would have to play the relevant sound bit to at least a dozen people and ask them to write down what they just heard .. with no hints about what to expect.
I really would be interested to know what hapened under those circumstances ...

Tom Logan

Second Unit
We can't allow some disgruntled Fox audio tech get away with sprinkling unauthorized "cocksuckers" around wherever they darn well please, can we?

So, should we just bend over and take this? How long are we going to put up with them shoving this down our throats?

How long?

If you're with me, just retweet:

#GetPerceivedSmutOutOfOurClassicMovieSoundtrackRestorationsOnceAndForAll

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
In checking my disc to inspect what the original poster was referring to I allowed the scene to play through the end of the JET SONG. Can you believe it? The same dirty bastards who added profanity also removed it. The song now ends with "[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Verdana;font-size:16px;]Ev'ry last buggin' gang [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Verdana;font-size:16px;]On the whole buggin' street!" [/color]

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
cinerama10 said:
Actually they are investigating the issue.They have already apologised for the problem. They have also asked for several additional details. They cannot lose their reputation should a person responsible for the restoration, change some words as an ego trip. Two other friends who have viewed the film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else is out there where the restorer has done similar tricks. If you had heard the words you would know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.
If "the restorer" had done it, it would be on all discs of the film, and it's not. It certainly is not on my copy. Where did you purchase your copy?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, folks. An hour ago my curiosity finally won out and I checked my copy. I'd actually intended to check it some days earlier, but never seemed to remember once I got away from the computer and into the movie room.

Listened to the 7.1 first, ever mindful of the warning above that you're going to hear what you expect to hear. Well, there it was, as clear as day. Either that, or some combination of speech and/or sounds that amazingly resulted in sounding like the line.

Switched to the 4.0. Heard "punks" clearly. Fortunately, this is just a few seconds after a chapter stop, so it's easy to play and replay. Ran it again. And again. Now I was hearing the offending line. Huh? Double-checked the audio track. Sure enough, still on 4.0. Played it again. Went back to the 7.1. No question about it there. Back to the 4.0, and something had happened: it was thereafter impossible for me to hear "punks".

I kid you not.

So, power of suggestion? Mass hallucination? I left it out so I'll remember to try again another day. And I'll be able to test it with a couple of other people who won't have the slightest idea what the issue is.

This is the Target 3-disc digibook set. (Didn't want the big box of whatever.) I'd given the corresponding DVD to someone right away, so can't check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks