What's new

West Side Story-Any News? (1 Viewer)

I would love to see and hear this on blu-ray disc. Were the film's 65mm elements restored? Also, was there originally an intermission when the film premiered and then went into 70mm roadshow release? I have heard and read conflicting reports.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I imagine this and all other MGM-owned titles will have to wait until after the bankruptcy sale. But with the 50th anniversary coming in 2011 and the current Broadway revival, this should be a no-brainer.

John Stockton

Second Unit
I saw a brand new 70 MM print last year at the Castro theatre in San Francisco, and the picture quality was absolutely out of this world. There was no intermission.

I will get the Blu-ray if its transferred from the restored 65 MM elements.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The original intention for WSS by the filmmakers was to have no intermission... BUT.... the film was designed to give the exhibitor the choice to have one anyway, just before the "I FEEL PRETTY" number. The most recent dvd gives you this option and as the entre acte music is "I FEEL PRETTY" it seems a bit repetitive. I don't know how many engagements incorporated the intermission. There may be more info on the recent dvd release.

Would love to see that new 70mm print on a big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks