What's new

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
An interview with Rachel Ziegler:

and Steven Spielberg:

And a red carpet interview of them together:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The cover artwork for the soundtrack has been unveiled. Credit: I got this from Amazon. I like the image.

West Side Story.jpg

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The reviews coming in so far have been unbelievably good. I knew it would be good, but these reviews are more glowing than I would have expected.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it'll be lucky to get even a music nomination of some kind.
I'm not sure why we got onto In the Heights in the West Side Story thread, but it has one original song over the credits. We know that West Side Story doesn't have anything new because Bernstein wasn't able to contribute anything, so it won't be eligible in the original song category. However, Lin-Manuel Miranda also has an eligible song from Encanto which is a lot more current and has already outgrossed the total of In the Heights. I loved In the Heights but I think the more recent movie musicals are going to overshadow it. If West Side Story is good, I will be happy to see it win things.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
West Side Story and Steven Spielberg jumped right to the top of Scott Feinberg's Oscar prognostications in The Hollywood Reporter this morning. Rachel Zegler (playing Maria) and Rita Moreno jumped to the top of Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress lists, too. Mike Faist (Riff) jumped into the mix of top contenders for Best Supporting Actor.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It's going to be tough beat Kristen Stewart (Spencer), Catriona Balfe (Belfast), or Judy Dench (Belfast). The broader appeal of West Side Story will help the cause, though.

In any case, there has been a lot of good performances this year, so the awards season will be quite interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So why do you think Spielberg made the choice not to subtitle the Spanish dialogue? And why in the clips from the previews posted above are they speaking to each other in English?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If WSS wins Best Picture that would certainly be unusual.
I don't think it would. I mean, yes, it is a remake of a previous Best Picture winner. But still. Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner have collaborated multiple times before on highly acclaimed movies that were nominated for Best Picture. Spielberg has won Best Picture before and remains one of the most respected filmmakers working today. If the 1961 film didn't exist, everyone would be anticipating this to get in. I am not surprised that the combination of a world-class filmmaker and a classic work of musical theatre resulted in a movie that is (so far) highly acclaimed.

And why in the clips from the previews posted above are they speaking to each other in English?
I'm not going to try to speak for Spielberg and his choices. But the original material was written in English. Therefore, it isn't that much of a surprise that he stuck to it. It would have been a legitimate choice to use some more Spanish, but I think it is also a legitimate choice to keep the material in its original language. In one of the interviews I posted yesterday, he said that he always referenced the original Broadway album and not the 1961 film when making this one. If he wants to keep it close to the original, then it makes sense for it to be in English.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's going to be tough beat Kristen Stewart (Spencer), Catriona Balfe (Belfast), or Judy Dench (Belfast).
I loved Belfast too and didn't see Spencer. But I think you hit the nail on the head below.
In any case, there has been a lot of good performances this year, so the awards season will be quite interesting.
There is always a lot of good work, and this year is no exception. There are more worthy performances than there are awards. It is very possible that Belfast or Spencer could win, and it is also very possible that West Side Story will win. You never really know which way the awards groups are going to go.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just got my ticket for the afternoon of Saturday, December 11.

I would probably have gone on Thursday night if the showtime was convenient, but the first screening in the biggest auditorium isn't until 7:30. We know that it will end up being a three-hour-plus sit with all the trailers, so I don't want to be out really late. As such, doing it in the afternoon works better for me.

This time, I was able to get my preferred wheelchair space in the biggest auditorium with no trouble. Someone else grabbed it for the opening night of Spider-Man while I was trying to get the website to let me in on Monday night, so I had to go farther right than my usual preference. So I was glad to grab my preferred seat this time. I'm actually the first ticket sold for my showtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks