What's new

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There's a lot of Ansel Elgort listed in there.
That's not really much of a surprise. He sings almost everything that Tony normally sings -- except "Somewhere" which according to that list is being given to Rita Moreno instead of him and Rachel Ziegler, who would normally do it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Since I’ve read that they have expanded Rita Moreno’s role of Valentina beyond what the role of Doc was in the original, I was thinking it would really be something if she were to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for this. Again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it would really be something if she were to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for this. Again.
That would indeed be a historical occurrence. But Ariana DeBose, who is playing Moreno's original role of Anita, is also going to be in the running for the same award. I suspect Disney will submit them both. Whether either of them are successful in getting it is an open question and probably depends on how good the movie is. We'll see what happens.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
F84AF01F-E6BD-49F1-93F4-2307D95C6FE6.jpeg

BOOKS.jpg

The "Making of" book arrived this morning!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Isn't there the risk for the studio that they will cancel each other out?
If Rita Moreno gets nominated, she'll be the immediate favorite to win. Some Academy voters will vote for her as a sort of lifetime achievement award for her decades in Hollywood, regardless of the merits of her performance in this.

However, favorites have lost plenty in the past, especially if everybody thinks she's going to win so they vote for someone else instead.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Isn't there the risk for the studio that they will cancel each other out?
Yes. But they will submit everyone. This is a formality they do for everyone. They're going to file the paperwork to make sure that every actor who is eligible can get nominated. They always do that even on films where acting nominations are not particularly likely. For Avengers: Endgame, Disney submitted pretty much everyone in the ensemble in their appropriate acting category. That doesn't mean the voters were going to choose anything from it. It means Disney filled out the appropriate paperwork.

In the case of Rita Moreno and Ariana DeBose, I am sure Disney will fill out the paperwork to submit both of them.

I think @Adam Lenhardt is right that Moreno would likely be the favorite for the reasons that he stated. But they're still going to fill out the paperwork for Ariana DeBose to get in as well.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
If Rita Moreno gets nominated, she'll be the immediate favorite to win. Some Academy voters will vote for her as a sort of lifetime achievement award for her decades in Hollywood, regardless of the merits of her performance in this.

However, favorites have lost plenty in the past, especially if everybody thinks she's going to win so they vote for someone else instead.
With the exception of 'WSS', Moreno's film career can hardly be considered illustrious. 'Spotty' would be a better way to describe it. I don't see her as a candidate for even a faux lifetime achievement win.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
An unfortunate lapse in this was Fox not bothering to submit Roddy in Cleo where I thought he deserved at least a nomination.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
An unfortunate lapse in this was Fox not bothering to submit Roddy in Cleo where I thought he deserved at least a nomination.
I presume you are talking about Roddy McDowel (sp) in Cleopatra. According to the material I read (or maybe the movie commentary or making of) a clerical error caused him to be submitted for best actor when he was intended to be submitted for supporting.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Academy can place actors where they want to even if they disagree with the studio submission. This has happened a handful of times.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which I don't understand as they don't announce the vote totals. No one who loses ever knows how many votes they received. If they feel the person who they think is sure to win gave the best performance, they should vote for them. There's no point in voting for someone else in that situation.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is a new featurette including some new singing:

and another TV spot:

And new character posters:

WSS1.jpg WSS2.jpg WSS3.jpg WSS4.jpg WSS5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks