What's new

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Strange that none of the Jets are identified by role, other than Riff. Mike Faist is really talented, but he doesn't radiate that old school machismo I think of when I picture Riff.

I'm assuming Ziegler is playing Anybodys, since she's the only female Jet.

When I think of Rosalia, I primarily think of her sparring with Anita in the stage version of "America", but I highly doubt they're going to use the more problematic version of perhaps the show's most controversial song.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When I think of Rosalia, I primarily think of her sparring with Anita in the stage version of "America", but I highly doubt they're going to use the more problematic version of perhaps the show's most controversial song.

On the other hand, using the stage version of that song would be a way to differentiate this from the previous film.

There is also the possibility that they could use the structure of it from the stage version with all women but ask Sondheim to provide new lyrics for any sections they consider problematic or in need of an update. He's made it known he doesn't like his lyrics for West Side Story too much, so I doubt he would mind reworking it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Strange that none of the Jets are identified by role, other than Riff. Mike Faist is really talented, but he doesn't radiate that old school machismo I think of when I picture Riff.

I'm assuming Ziegler is playing Anybodys, since she's the only female Jet.

I count 13 people whose names sound female listed in the cast of new Jets. A couple of them could be males with female sounding names but probably not 12 of them. It looks like this version is making the gangs a lot more co-ed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I suspect those female Jets are girl friends of the Jets who will dance with them at the gym. I do not see the gang becoming co-ed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I count 13 people whose names sound female listed in the cast of new Jets. A couple of them could be males with female sounding names but probably not 12 of them. It looks like this version is making the gangs a lot more co-ed.
Definitely, but I'm assuming the others are going to be used for the chorus and dance/fight cheorography. Since Ziegler is listed separately and is the most recognizable, I'm figuring she'll be the female Jet that has dialogue. That's why I landed on Anybodys.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter has an article about Disney axing various Fox projects since the acquisition. Unsurprisingly, it looks like Disney wants to keep Spielberg's West Side Story. But they might not allow the Sharks and the Jets to smoke in it.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Meanwhile, a number of movies greenlit in late December and early January by Fox film president Emma Watts, who made the transition to Disney, are moving forward. Those include the Matthew Vaughn-directed Kingsman prequel The Great Game, the low-budget witchcraft pic Fear Street and Steven Spielberg's West Side Story.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
But even some of those green lights are being met with scrutiny. One source says Disney film chief Alan Horn is questioning the apparent plan to have young characters smoking onscreen in West Side Story. "With Fox, we can make movies that right now I say no to ... We always have to think about the smoking policy. The audience for a Disney movie may not know what they are going to see, but they know what they aren't going to see," Horn said in a recent interview with THR. "There are certain things we just can't include because we'll get letters."

More at the link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/multiple-fox-films-getting-axed-at-disney-1204252

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oooooh, letters! Scary stuff! :rolleyes:

He still seems to be losing the distinction between a Fox movie and a Disney movie. As long as WSS is not promoted as a Disney flick, I don't see the issue myself.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In general, I don't think it's a bad thing that studios are moving away from depicting smoking in films. It's often unnecessary, and even when it's being done by "bad guy" characters, it sends a message to viewers (particularly ones of impressionable ages) that smoking is okay and without serious consequence.

I think this is one of those things where I'm comfortable with sacrificing some historical accuracy (teens from that time period would have been more likely to smoke and for that not to be controversial) for the sake of not modeling a behavior that's truly harmful.

I have no need to go back and remove smoking from films where it existed and I'm not going to avoid Bogart films because he smokes, but I'm also very okay with not seeing depictions of tobacco smoking in new media produced in 2019.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What happens to:

“When your a Jet
You’re a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To you’re last dying day”?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Presumably, Sondheim would be asked to alter that lyric. He doesn't really even like the lyrics for West Side Story that much so I doubt he would mind adjusting it.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What happens to:

“When your a Jet
You’re a Jet all the way
Off topic but Funny how you have “your and you’re “ reversed in the first and last line. ;)

Hmmmmm.....what can “cigarette” be replaced with?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like the original Robert Wise movie quite a bit, but in my 2-3 watchings of it over the decades so far I haven't loved it like I love some musicals. There are some movies that are understandably crazy to remake, like Casablanca, etc., but I'm actually expecting that Spielberg is going to pull off a movie that I like better than the original.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
In general, I don't think it's a bad thing that studios are moving away from depicting smoking in films. It's often unnecessary, and even when it's being done by "bad guy" characters, it sends a message to viewers (particularly ones of impressionable ages) that smoking is okay and without serious consequence.

I think this is one of those things where I'm comfortable with sacrificing some historical accuracy (teens from that time period would have been more likely to smoke and for that not to be controversial) for the sake of not modeling a behavior that's truly harmful.
I agree for the most part. I'm fine with it for movies that are aimed at young audiences. If it's an adult drama set in a time period when a high percentage of people smoked, it's a little more difficult to accept. For example, if Fox Searchlight decides to make a biopic of Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason or Johnny Carson, they would have to show them smoking to have any credibility. I don't think any of those films would appeal to young adults, so they should be presented accurately.

I have no need to go back and remove smoking from films where it existed and I'm not going to avoid Bogart films because he smokes, but I'm also very okay with not seeing depictions of tobacco smoking in new media produced in 2019.
I'll be curious to see what they do with Marge's sisters on the old Simpsons episodes.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I like the original Robert Wise movie quite a bit, but in my 2-3 watchings of it over the decades so far I haven't loved it like I love some musicals. There are some movies that are understandably crazy to remake, like Casablanca, etc., but I'm actually expecting that Spielberg is going to pull off a movie that I like better than the original.

Have you forgotten the CASABLANCA remake as a TV series? Truly woeful.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Spielberg has set his music team for the film. Unsurprisingly, it looks like John Williams is sitting this one out, as he won't be needed to compose anything.

Gustavo Dudamel is conducting the score. David Newman will arrange it. Broadway composer Jeanine Tesori will "help the cast with their vocals," and Matt Sullivan is the executive music producer.

Gustavo Dudamel said:
"Although I am only at the very beginning, I view this adaptation of West Side Story, as one of the highlights of my career. It is one of the most beautiful and beloved scores in the history of musical theatre and I can’t wait for the chance to conduct some of the most magnificent songs that Leonard Bernstein ever wrote. I am touched and humbled to be a part of this magnificent film and will do my best to honor the history and gravitas of this project and make beautiful music worthy of this endeavor.”

Steven Spielberg said:
"Since the moment West Side Story hit Broadway in 1957, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim’s iconic music has helped define America’s musical identity. To find a team with the experience and talent to honor the original work – while bringing a fresh vision to our new adaptation – was a tall order. I’m confident that this incredible group will do just that, and I am privileged and grateful to have them as partners on this journey.”

More at the link: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1068745-gustavo-dudamel-west-side-story/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FIRST LOOK AT STEVEN SPIELBERG’S WEST SIDE STORY REVEALED

The first look at Academy Award®-winner Steven Spielberg’s WEST SIDE STORY has been revealed. An adaptation of the original Broadway musical, WEST SIDE STORY explores young love and tensions between rival gangs the Jets and the Sharks on the streets of 1957 New York. The film is now in production for Twentieth Century Fox.

full

(Click on photo for larger image)

Pictured left to right are: Jets members Anybodys (Ezra Menas), Mouthpiece (Ben Cook), Action (Sean Harrison Jones); Jets leader Riff (Mike Faist); Baby John (Patrick Higgins); Tony (Ansel Elgort) and Maria (Rachel Zegler); Maria’s brother and Sharks leader Bernardo (David Alvarez); and Sharks members Quique (Julius Anthony Rubio), Chago (Ricardo Zayas), Chino (Josh Andrés Rivera), Braulio (Sebastian Serra) and Pipo (Carlos Sánchez Falú).

The cast also includes Ariana DeBose (Anita); Ana Isabelle (Rosalia); Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank); Brian d’Arcy James (Officer Krupke); Curtiss Cook (Abe) and Academy Award®-winner Rita Moreno, who plays Valentina and also serves as one of the film’s Executive Producers.

Other previously-announced cast includes:

SHARKS
• David Aviles Morales
• Yesenia Ayala
• María Alejandra Castillo
• Annelise Cepero
• Andrei Chagas
• Jeanette Delgado
• Kelvin Delgado
• Gaby Diaz
• Yurel Echezarreta
• Adriel Flete
• Carlos E. Gonzalez
• David Guzman
• Jacob Guzman
• Ana Isabelle
• Melody Martí
• Ilda Mason
• Juliette Feliciano Ortiz
• Edriz E. Rosa Pérez
• Maria Alexis Rodriguez
• Gabriela Soto
• Ricky Ubeda
• Tanairi Vazquez
• Jamila Velazquez
• Isabella Ward

JETS
• Brianna Abruzzo
• Kyle Allen
• Kyle Coffman
• Harrison Coll
• Kevin Csolak
• Kellie Drobnick
• Julian Elia
• Myles Erlick
• Leigh-Ann Esty
• Sara Esty
• John Michael Fiumara
• Paloma Garcia-Lee
• Garett Hawe
• Eloise Kropp
• Lauren Leach
• Jess LeProtto
• Skye Mattox
• Adriana Pierce
• Brittany Pollack
• Daniel Patrick Russell
• Talia Ryder
• Jonalyn Saxer
• Halli Toland
• Maddie Ziegler

WEST SIDE STORY is produced and directed by Steven Spielberg from a script by Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner. The film has been adapted for the screen from the original 1957 Broadway musical, which was written by Arthur Laurents with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and concept, direction and choreography by Jerome Robbins. Tony Award®-winner Justin Peck will choreograph the musical numbers in the film. Also leading the production are Tony Award®-winning producer Kevin McCollum and Academy Award®-nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger.

The film’s music team includes renowned conductor Gustavo Dudamel, who will helm the recording of Bernstein’s iconic score; Academy Award®-nominated composer and conductor David Newman (Anastasia) who will be arranging the score for the new adaptation; Tony Award®-winning composer Jeanine Tesori (Broadway’s Fun Home and Thoroughly Modern Millie), who will be working with the cast on vocals; and Grammy®-nominated music supervisor Matt Sullivan (Beauty and the Beast, Chicago), who will serve as executive music producer for the film.

WEST SIDE STORY will be released by The Walt Disney Studios in the US on December 18, 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks