Wes Anderson likes dirty swimming pools

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PS Nystrom, Dec 17, 2001.

1. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Watch Wes Anderson's shot of Anthony dive into the Motel's swimming pool in Bottle Rocket and then witness Bill Murray's cannonball in Rushmore. Two of the cloudiest/dirtiest pools I've ever seen on film. What's up with that, and will it make its way into The Royal Tenenbaums?
    Pieter
    Whoops, almost forgot about the exact opposite occurance at the beginning of Bottle Rocket when Futureman (aka John Mapplethorpe) goes ape-shit on Bob for missing a leaf while cleaning the family pool.
    Maybe it's time for me to get some fresh air...

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The one in TRT is an indoor pool so it should be cleaner.

~T

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I think Wes likes a lot of the same themes. The trailer for Tenenbaums has more than a few things that remind me of Rushmore.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Kumar Pallana is in all of Anderson's films, including The Royal Tenenbaums. Kumar played the incompetant safecracker in Bottle Rocket and Mr. Littlejeans the groundskeeper in Rushmore.

Also, looking at Tenenbaum's IMDb listing, it lists Olivia Williams (Miss Cross in Rushmore) as Eli's (Owen Wilson's) wife? I didn't notice her when I saw it over the weekend (In fact I'm not sure if he's married in the film). I think I'm gonna have to watch it again.

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Also, Wes Anderson likes motorized vehicles.
    Owen Wilson drove a motorized cycle in Bottle Rocket.
    There were go karts in Rushmore
    and there were go karts in Royal Tenenbaums
    Also, did anybody notice Jason Schwartzman as the Tennis Commentator?

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I caught Jason as the commentator. I had the vague notion of the motorized vehicle, mainly in the relationship of the size to the rider (the motorcycle in BR seemed a little small, as do the go karts). Of course, another link is Mark Mothersbaugh as the contributor to the score and the inclusion of music from the 60's/Rolling Stones.

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I believe Andrew Wilson, brother of Luke and Owen is also in all 3 films. In (both versions of) Bottle Rocket, he is Bob Mapplethorpe's brother "Future Man." In Rushmore, he's the baseball coach. In TRT, he's the redneck that chops off Margot's finger.

As already touched on here, there are many themes that all 3 films have in common. Another being the concept of forbidden or taboo love.

8. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

that's funny that miss cross is owen's wife.. maybe she appears in a picture or two in his apartment..

owen wilson was miss cross' husband in rushmore, you could see him in the pictures too

lol

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Wes Anderson also likes plays. At least the last two films features a play of some sort. I can't remember if Bottle Rocket does as well, but I don't believe it does.

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Wes Anderson uses an actor in all 3 films.
    Brian Tenenbaum...which he uses his last name as the title of Royal Tenebaums
    Plus he uses drawings(of somekind) in all 3 films

11. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor