What's new

Werner Herzog (Bad lip sync) (1 Viewer)

Troy_S

Agent
OK I've seen, Aguire, Fitzcarldo, Cobra Verde, and Nosferatu and one thing they all have in common (besides Klaus Kinski) is the exceptionally poor lip syncing in the audio.

Does anyone know why that is? Did Herzog not record any audio while he was on location?

Thanks

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Try another language. Herzog tended to film scenes twice, once in German and once in English. I know for sure he did this on Fitzcarraldo. I think he did it on Nosferatu. I own Aguirre but I haven't watched it yet (though I saw it in the theater upon release).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The Herzog films that I've seen all have the dialogue dubbed (except maybe The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser--I can't remember for sure).
I can't speak for the others, but in the case of Fitzcarraldo, the actors were actually performing their parts in English. However, Herzog considers the German to be the definitive version. (And if you switch to the English track, that won't synch either as it's also a dub.)
I've noticed this is fairly common among many European films, especially German and Italian. Even some old Hollywood films have long sections where the dialogue is dubbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks