Werewolf: Official Release Announced

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Do you think there'll be an American distributor? It is sad that it's being put out by a non-American firm.
--jthree

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad to hear, but I'm wondering how the insurmountable licensing issues encountered by Shout/Scream were suddenly overcome for this release?

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Hmm. Since it's an overseas release, I wonder if I can include it in my listing of "unreleased" tv series that made it out this year? So far, I only have the Smith Family (with Henry Fonda) and Head of the Class for 2020. Hmm. Mind you, that's my system.

--james

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I would temper high expectations for their release of this series.
Elephant Films released "The Sixth Sense" 1972 TVseries on dvd, which was complete, including the missing episode from digital releases in USA. Unfortunately the videos had alot of aliasing (or whatever), and were PAL. A couple episodes were the French TV versions, meaning the intro credits were slightly abridged with French text. So it's a mixed bag.

They don't appear to have a normal website (just a screen page showing their name). I'm not joining FB and was hoping someone could pose a question to them for me? Imdb shows they have rights to movies "The Outsider"(1961) and "House of Cards"(1968), and I wanted to know if these will be released in blu-ray, and in correct aspect ratio?

Last edited:

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I have the Elephant release of Gemini Man, that set looks good and it's PAL Region 2. I also have their blu ray release of Baa Baa Black Sheep, it's region free and looks great on my 50 inch screen.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Detour (1945)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Their FB page says: Available in collector box 6 DVD + BOOK 52 Pages on October 26, 2020 (recommended selling price: 39,99-Pre-order from early August).
Oh, well. Too bad about the PAL probable Region-2 lock, but hopefully it will look good and not be too altered for French TV. It's probably still not "legal" in USA. Another site says they don't have the rights for a blu-ray.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Considering they don't have the rights to release this on BD, I'm still curious if this is an HD remaster downrezzed to SD. If so that would still be something special. Until I know that I'm holding off.
The Mike and the Mechanics song "Silent Running" is right in the first 2minutes of the pilot. So weird seeing an 80's show (1987) with actual 80's music of that specific time.
This is a great series, even if it is fuzzy in my mind watching it 30+ years ago.

• Appreciate

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Considering they don't have the rights to release this on BD, I'm still curious if this is an HD remaster downrezzed to SD. If so that would still be something special. Until I know that I'm holding off.
I don't know about blu-ray rights, but someone on Bluray.com said Elephant didn't have high definition masters. There would be no reason to use blu-ray discs for standard video.
Their release of "Sixth Sense" was broadcast video for French TV. Some opening credits (and post credits scenes with continuing credits) altered for French tv. Who knows what this will be like.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
So who has bitten the (silver) bullet and pre-ordered this? I'm tempted to take a chance, but it's only available from Amazon.fr, and I don't know how well shipping is happening.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Someone posted an unfavorable review on this site (I'll post a translation). Of course some people exaggerate, but who knows:

Warning: The image quality and unfortunately not top it is image quality VHS series not remastered, Elephant Films we rework the image but its still very average, it is watchable but it's sad to see this great series in a bad quality image damage

• Appreciate

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Another review describing the disappointing video quality (translated here):

We must welcome the edition of the complete series by Elephant Films, even if the technical condition leaves something to be desired (see technical commentary): a unique opportunity to review or discover this cult series.

Image: SD copy, very limited definition of fully video aspect, edition from SD Masters only available (35mm shooting but negatives not found), imprecise outlines and slobbery colors, variable contrast partly enhanced, vivid color grading with warm colorimetry , improvement work without restoration on the brightness and on the colors in order to make the vision more pleasant

Sound: English 2.0 monophonic mix, clear dialogue, good overall dynamics, limited spectrum, no distortion; VF 2.0 monophonic, neat, clear, but voice too detached from ambiances so unnatural.

Image: 2.5 out of 5
Sound mixes: 3 out of 5
Bonus: 3 out of 5
Packaging: 3 out of 5

Also, a customer reviewer on Amazon.fr added images to his pre-purchase comments. He hasn't updated it with comments about the video release. His high ratings are for the show itself.

• Appreciate

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
You know. One different thing about this series. You could tell things were not going to end well for the hero.

==jthree

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmiliaHadson