Were the following films 3-strip technicolor...?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Paul Borges, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Paul Borges

Paul Borges Stunt Coordinator

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    Call Me Madam
    Red Garters
    Dangerous When Wet
    Desert Song, The 1953
    Easy To Love
    Give A Girl A Break
    I Love Melvin
    Lili
    Miss Sadie Thompson
    Small Town Girl

2. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Paul,

According to the book Glorious Technicolor by Fred E. Basten, each one of those titles is indeed in glorious technicolor. That is if you mean the '53 Desert Song and not the '43, which is listed as technicolor in the IMDB but not in the book. Hope this helps.

You can see how busy I am tonight. [​IMG]

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    This 3-D film had dye-transfer Technicolor *prints* but was not filmed in the three-strip camera method.

I believe the only two 3-D films that were filmed three-strip are Money From Home and (I think) Flight to Tangier.

4. Paul Borges

Paul Borges Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response guys. When you say glorious technicolor..you mean 3-strip right? Sometimes a movie says technicolor but it's not the 3-strip process.

Oh, and I mean the 53 Desert Song.

5. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Paul,

According to the appendices of the book Glorious Technicolor, the filmography simply listed films photographed in technicolor. It doesn't state which films specifically used the three strip technique. My understanding is that starting in or just after 1955, technicolor no longer needed to film "three strip" to work their magic. One of the great special features of the Adventures Of Robin Hood disc is the documentary on the technicolor process narrated by Angela Lansbury. Sometimes Turner Classic Movies still runs this documentary. I strongly suggest you keep an eye on the TCM schedule, or better yet, pick up the excellent DVD of Robin Hood.