We're talking baseball...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Miller, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I've been reading Dimaggio, A Hero's Life and got to wondering -- Who is the greatest baseball player ever? I bring this up, not because I'm necessarily saying it's Dimaggio, but because everytime I read about one of the old school Hall of Famers, it just makes a guy think.

I mean, you can look just at hitters or pitchers vs. position players. It's an interesting arguement, but who's on your list?

Is it the Babe for pure power? Williams for hitting? Do you look at dominance as a pitcher? What about the new guys?

Just something I was thinking while reading a good book and waiting for Spring Training broadcasts to really start up.

Doug

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I respectfully submit for your consideration Mr. George Herman Ruth AKA 'The Babe', 'The Bambino', 'The Sultan of Swat'.
    I refer you to this in addition to 714 home runs.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have to say Willie Mays. Awesome hitter and even better defensive player. The complete ballplayer.

But Ruth wasn't half bad[​IMG]

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I seem to remember that a poll was taken (of whom, I have no idea) at/around 1950 and the result was Ty Cobb was the best player ever. Towards the end of the 20th century, the same poll was taken (of presumably similar people) and Babe Ruth came out on top. Opinions changed, even after both of their careers were over.

In no sport, or anything else I can think of, is history more dynamic and alive than in baseball. And in no sport is this such a difficult question, as different players at different positions have different skills and abilities. And of course the game has changed over the past 100 years. Could Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb hit today's pitching? Could Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson dominate today's hitters? We can only speculate...and have wonderful discussions.

I've been thinking about today's players by position, and thought that we may be seeing some of the best players at their positions right now. Consider...when they retire, Barry Bonds may be considered the greatest left fielder ever, Alex Rodriguez may be considered the best shortshot ever, I thought Chipper ones could be the greatest 3rd baseman ever, till they moved him to left, Mike Piazza may be considered the best catcher ever. Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, and Greg Maddux should be included in the list of greatest pitchers ever.

Baseball has it's problems, but there certainly isn't a lack of talent out on the field. Play Ball!

Chris

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

6. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Babe Ruth. Nothing in sport, and that means all sport, has the impact of a home run. And no one personified the home run as did Babe Ruth. Maybe Bonds will play long enough to beat Ruth and Aarons totals, and he will and should be considered in the same company. Till he does, Ruth is da man.

7. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Ruth. He was also a fine pitcher.

8. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Top 3 off the top of my head:

1) The Babe. 714 regular season home runs. Lifetime .342 average. 94-46 lifetime pitching (Plus 3-0 in the World Series)

2) The Say Hey Kid. 660 HR. .302 Exquisite fielder. Outstanding baserunner.

3) Cy Young. 511-316 lifetime record on the mound. There's a very good reason the award is named after him.