We're Not Alone!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

From USA Today:
    Star systems similar to ours found
    By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY
    European and U.S. astronomers Thursday announced the discovery of two solar systems with planets in orbits similar to our own, a finding that boosts the odds that they harbor extraterrestrial life.
    Go here for complete article:
    http://usatoday.com/news/healthscien...lar-system.htm

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Confirms what I have assumed since I was about 8 years old. I love the opening sequence of Contact...

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Now not to get your hopes up but that just assumes that they are the same distance from a star as we are not that there is life there. Now of course I am hoping that there is intelligent life there and I am also hoping that if there is they are friendly. [​IMG]
    KyleS

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

That's scary!

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Peter, Peter [gives Peter a friendly hug], I don't know how to break this to you, but these extraterrestrial civilizations are in another part of our galaxy, trillions of light years away [wipes tear], the chances of meeting these alien peeps are astronomical, how can I say this without hurting you, Peter, WE ARE ALONE!!! [sobs uncontrollably], MAMMA!![​IMG]
    Seriously though, the only chance we have of contacting alien races is thru radio signals, and even they take years and years to reach our nearest neighbor Proxima Centauri (hey weren't the Robinson family heading for Proxima or was it Alpha Centauri?).[​IMG]
    I remember reading something about explosions occuring in our galaxy and that they might in fact be evidence of an intergalactic war, anyone hear this? No I haven't been reading too much SF, I saw it somewhere.

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Point of clarification--I wasn't implying that I think this proves or in some way implies the existence of extraterrestrial life, intelligent or otherwise. I just don't think that Earth, in the context of the Universe, is especially unique.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Steve, please, we need to bring adult supervision to a thread yet again, and we keep getting flack for that.

Ron, I'm sipping a very pedestrian Tecate as I sit in front of my iMac, and that scared me. I take one from you, and add one to my 'fridge. (Accurate portrayal of present activity. Tecate is in palm of my right hand.) *sips, for real*

Peter: I know. Be afraid. Very afraid.

[incredible news, though; following closely; seriously]

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Astronomers, Astro-Physicists correct me, but the satellite that is beaming out messages of our existance is doing so via a radio signal correct?
    Alot of good that will do. I heard that our Galaxy is 100,000 light years across.
    So this radio signal is barely a stones throw out from Earth isnt it? [​IMG]

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Wonderful news. I knew it was only a matter of time before systems like these were found. We are not unique.

But I really want to check out that water on Mars...

11. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

The good news is that there is other life out there.[​IMG]
    The bad news is that they are all telemarketers.[​IMG]

12. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Why do scientists always assume that life has to be life as we currently know it? Scientists are finding life on THIS planet where they previsouly thought it couldn't happen. An example are those strange fish that live near toxic jets in the ocean.

To me (with absolutely no scientific evidence :b ) life could exist anywhere, just not necessarly as we expect it to.

Greg

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

14. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

15. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I am not arguiing that you need evidence for science, I know how science works [​IMG] I am a bit of a skeptic myself.
    What bothers me is that it seems that it is often said that "life CAN'T exist here, blah blah blah". I say why not? The attitude always seems to be that something is impossible if it isn't yet understood.

16. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

17. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

If someone were to walk up to me today and show undeniable proof of life on other worlds, I can honestly say that it would be no surprise to me. I've always expected there to be something else out there.

And then we have those that say "the laws of physics cannot be broken, blah blah blah". I love that one.

The laws of physics are only laws based on what we've learned and know to be true thus far. 100 years from now we could learn of a new "element" that is introduced to our "unbreakable laws of physics" that might change much of what we already "know" to be true.

18. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

19. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

From what I've read this system is only 41 light years away. This means a message could be received in our lifetime...which is interesting to say the least. Interesting news nonetheless.

Chet

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You should have waited until today Jack, my fridge is now fully stocked.