What's new

We're getting ready to build a new home theater... (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
....and I don't want just normal 2x4 construction in our basement. I'm going to have to close off some of it for the HT. I guess I don't want the basic 2x4 construction for sound deadening. I want something that's easier. So I did some poking around and found these:

www.insulock.com

I guess they use them for soundwalls because the foam they're made of deadens sound pretty well. The plant that makes them is here in town so I'm going to take a look early next week. These things snap together like legos from what I understand. I'm not sure how they'll work for my application, but I intend to get my questions answered when I'm down there.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The sound walls along roads usually do their job by preventing sound waves from going directly from the traffic to nearby structures or open areas. farther from the wall, the sound wave from up higher in the air can bend down, and the walls are less effective. At some distance, the walls are doing nothing to deaden sound.

But, the walls may still act to help sound proof a room.

In this type of construction, the foam blocks act as a form for poured concrete. I'm not sure how well they will deaden sound when not filled, as the foam may tend to vibrate, and thereby transmit some sound right through.

You could always get a few and try it. Maybe putting some carpet on the face would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks