Were DVD movies ever released in jewel cases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

I am a buyer on eBay and one of my favorites came on the block, I noticed in the picture (.jpeg) the disc cover art was coming thru the jewel case. The other "The Wraith" came up as a keepcase, so which one is bogus?

The only "The Wraith" beside Vhs is R2 I have one it's mono and 1.33:1, I have never heard of a limited release of this title. If you have ever looked at my homepage for HTF, my home page of my home theater you'll notice a vid cap of the R2 (UK) "The Wraith" starring Charlie Sheene(father Martin), Sherilyn Fenn, Nick Cassavetes(father John) etc. The wraith is definately a cool movie, with that turbo charged PPG Intercepter, with the engine in the back.[​IMG]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum! [​IMG] I think the early Columbia titles or at least some were in offered Jewel cases as well as the standard dvd ones. I still have Fly Away Home in a jewel case. Also, some very limited and early Universal releases were in jewel cases too. The River Wild, Beethoven, The Paper to name some.

3. Mike Click

Tim mine says Medusa I looked that company
    up "Medusa (Italy) IMDb title list" this was in keep case Region 2, but both of the 2 seen on www.ebay.com under title "The Wraith" are supposedly Region 1!

I sent a e-mail to the seller after having to sign in, I am waiting on the return e-mail. I might as well find out about the jewel case one, thanks Tim I love that movie. [​IMG]

O/T The soundtrack never came out on CD just vinyl and a compact cassette, that CC went for $60 last time I seen it on eBay.

4. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I have several of the early R2 release in jewel cases:

El Mariachi / Desperado
    Austin Powers
    Gattaca
    A Life Less Ordinary
    Fargo
    The Big Lebowski
    Trainspotting
    and The Replacement Killers.

The boxes get scratched rapidly, the ring that keeps the discs in place breaks a lot easier. I don't have to tell you what happens if you drop one.

I could snap a few shots if you'd like.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Until very recently, all music discs in Japan came in jewel cases

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Columbia was marketing both keepcase and jewel case formats until the end of 1997 if I remember correctly. I was buying all my DVDs in jewel cases at the time. I think the last one I bought was Philadelphia.

Universal also was jewel case only for the first eight titles they released, including Waterworld, Babe, Jumanji, Beethoven, River Wild, Backdraft and The Shadow.

7. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Jewel cases for DVDs are making a bit of a comeback. I've seen racks of new bargain discs in places like Borders and Target and they're all in the tall jewel cases.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Has anyone mentioned the dreaded DIVX DVD's!!!! [​IMG]

They (I believe) all came in jewel cases.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Often you could choose, sometimes you could not (Backdraft, Babe, Waterworld).
    It was officially hated intensely, especially on the Internet. People offered keep-case artwork to download and put in your ... well keepcase. Another officially hated case was PolyGram's slider. The Keepcase was heaven. Warner was hailed for the snapper.

In the end, the studios who offered the jewel-cases gave in. PolyGram died.

Cees

10. Mike Click

I found a mystery, seems that all the of the DVD discs of The Wraith R1 are either in keepcases or jewel boxes. Ebay has both with the same OAR and DD2.0 monaural sound
    all of the 'sellers' claim legality. All of my sources lead me to up to this year or very close to it, the only disc issued was the R2 disc from the UK that could be purchased thru www.amazon.com .

The kicker is all 2 USA + 1 UK= 3 are the same in FF OAR and DD2.0 mono. I had a run in on a source that might have what I was looking for, IMDb running time is 93 minutes, these gems are all 92 minutes.
    What is missing from that 1 minute is breif N scene from Sherilyn Fenn without the 'scene' the movie was relabled PG-13. This was the reason why I was asking the forum about movies with jewel cases. I was married I don't need no scene, to buy a movie just OAR and original sound

Suggestions for all people to get what they paid for, and that is a legal disc in the USA. I know for sure the R2 UK disc is legal.[​IMG]

11. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I don't think I recall seeing that, what's it look like/how's it work?

12. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Mike, The Wraith is also available in R1 and R4.

The R4 disc includes an anamorphically-enhanced 1.78:1 transfer and surround encoded Dolby Digital 2.0.

The R1 DVD includes a fullscreen transfer and a surround encoded Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack.

The R1 version isn't available online as far as I can tell, but can be purchased from Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders etc for around $5.99. See here for a review.

Scanning the Wraith DVDs on ebay, most look legitimate but the prices being asked are ridiculous considering how much the disc costs new. The R1 disc comes in a Super Jewel Case (different from a Jewel Case), which is one of my favourite DVD cases.

Adam

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    It seems to be highly questionable whether The Wraith from Platinum is a legitimate release (like their releases of Trick or Treat and other films). Although companies like Platinum, Brentwood, and others all seem to get their product onto the shelves of Best Buy stores and elsewhere, the legitimacy of their product remains questionable at best.

DJ

14. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I have no help to offer, but by returning The Wraith to my consciousness you have compelled me to post the following:

'Ain't no match for the 'cuda, boy!'

'I'm gonna beat you like a red-headed stepchild.'

Thanks for evoking the memories.
    -Steve

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Another jewel case R1 title;
    The Cable Guy.

16. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    I have a copy of the Film Board du Canada's Animation Greats! (one of the first DVD releases IIRC) and Rock and Roll High School in jewel cases and I prefer the format: less space and no special storage needs, but I can live with keepcases.

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Brendan,

18. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

My R2 copies of 'Jason & The Argonauts', 'Twelve Monkeys', 'Gattaca' and 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' all came in jewel cases. I accidently dropped my Dracula disc a few months back... oh dear [​IMG]

I've also got several Japanese DVDs which came in standard CD sized cases. 'Mighty Joe Young', 'Son of Kong' & several of the Godzilla movies.

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Cees,

Thanks for the photos...I brought this up before, but nobody responded...

Are those cases similar to the ones they used for DIVX? or were DIVX just like CD Jewel cases?

20. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Of course I have never even seen a DiVX case, Sir! [​IMG]. But I believe they were jewel-cases.

Cees