Went to Wal-Mart to buy Ep. 1 at lunch...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd H, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    First let me say I live in a small town and Wal-Mart is the only local store that sells DVD's. Anyway, I got there and walked to electronics. I expected to see a stand-up display for the DVD, but saw nothing. So I walked to the DVD case figuring it would be there. Nothing. So I asked the know-nothing person behind the counter if they had any copies. She says "Episode 1? Is that a movie or CD?" I tell her it's a movie that came out on DVD today. She walks me to the DVD case that I've already looked in and looks. She then says "this is all we have." So I find another person and ask her. She doesn't know what I'm talking about. She at least goes to the back to see if there are any there. She comes back and says she doesn't have any in the back. This all took 30 minutes of my lunch. So to make a long story short, I'm going to have to drive to a larger town 45 minutes away to pick it up. Damn I hate Wal-Mart!
    A few observations: I did notice that the only Mummy Returns DVD's were all widescreen. But all the Silence of the Lambs DVD's were pan-n-scam. Also, they had a couple of Star Wars SE VHS boxed sets for sale (p&s of course). I started to buy both of them to see if I could sell them on E-Bay. Should I pick them up you think?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Todd;
    I take it this is a small town you live in. Yeah, I know the feeling. I went to college in a small mid-western town about an hour away from a major freeway, and the best store we had out there was a Pamida. I swear, DVD didn't even exist in that store until about a year ago. (I should point out, however, that several of the rental stores in-town did have DVDs all the way back in '99. Woohoo.)
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Todd, I had almost the exact same experience except for me, it was at K-Mart on my way to work this morning. They had a big display for "Mummy Returns" but nothing for TPM. I asked a worker there about it and they looked around in the back for it (after looking in the display case I had just scoured), but came out to say, "We must not have it in." Their loss. I'm getting ready to go on a 1/2 hour drive to a Circuit City on my lunch break. As long as I have it to watch tonight, I'll be a happy camper.
    JKS
    ------------------
    My one goal in life is to live forever.
    Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!