Went to Circuit City yesterday....(Onkyo 770)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnBC, Apr 5, 2005.

1. JohnBC

JohnBC Auditioning

To look at the Onkyo 770 system. Planning on putting it in a bedroom and it has gotten pretty good reviews on here. Anyways, they have it as a web only sale for $425, but I wanted to check it out first. I was looking at it for about 2-3 minutes tops and during that time three different sales people came up to me trying to help me. By the third one I wanted to scream "get the hell away from me. If I need your help, I will come and find you." I know they are just doing their job and all, but wtf, sales people drive me crazy. They make the whole buying experience so uncomfortable. Anyways, the system seemed pretty solid, but the front speakers didn't seem to have anywhere to mount them to brackets? I really don't want to use stands or have to build shelves. Any thoughts?

2. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

why didn't you ask the salesperson?

3. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"why didn't you ask the salesperson?"

Now, that's funny. [​IMG]

David

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm those fronts are a little large for a bracket to mount them on a wall. I'm not to aware of any speakers that size that offers wall mounting build in.

5. JohnBC

JohnBC Auditioning

Yea, after I posted I was thinking that size may be an issue. I guess I will have to go with the stands. Probably should order them online too, or else the salesperson will try to sell me a warranty with them.

"Sir, I would highly recommend the warranty. If the stands break in less than 3 years, you will be out $60, and the warranty will only cost you $50 now".

[​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    LOL, stand warranty. Shh, don't give them any ideas...

7. John S

John S Producer

LOL.. Stand warranty!!!!! [​IMG]

Oh man....

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I say leave them on the floor anyways. In my experience with bookshelves, the higher up the wall they are the "thinner" the seem to sound. Especially male vocals. I know. Could be room acoustics. But to me they sound better on the floor. And I doubt CC would try and sell you a warranty on your berber or your Pergo. But, then again....

9. John Garcia

John
    On the FLOOR or on stands? On the floor is pretty much the worst place to put a bookshelf speaker for a number of reasons, most notably that first reflection that will destroy the imaging, and then there is the height of the drivers (both of which angling up can help correct, but not eliminate).

10. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have Polk RTi6's as mains and they are designed to be mounted on the wall via rear key hole. The higher up I placed them, the thinner (a few weeks ago I said "kinda harsh", remember?) the sound gets. By 4', Boz Skaggs sounds like Marty Balin! Put 'em back on the floor and all's well again. As for imaging and reflection, I guess that stuff didn't bother me as much. I have my rear RTi4's on plant stands (without warranty), maybe next week I'll put the 6's on them to see if it clears up the mid-bass problem. I'd prefer that they were up higher, but only if they sound better. If not, back down they go.

11. John Garcia

John
    Most likely is the room, like you said, because that's sort of unusual. The only speakers I've had that sounded OK on the floor were my first pair that were big, 3-way 10" monsters that were older than me [​IMG] As you raise them up bass response will typically get thinner, that is relatively normal, but that is generally a good thing. I wouldn't see a need to put them at 48", typical stands are around 24-30" and that should work great. I'm using 24" stands with 2" spikes right now and it works great. Also try to pull them out from the wall a bit to see if it helps.