Went to break room, bought bag of chips, and it was less than one-third filled.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And I don't even like potato chips that much.

But I had the munchies and had to get out of the newsroom. So, I headed to the nearest vending machine, and popped a couple of coins in it for a bag of Ruffles "Flavor-Rich" chips (barbeque-and-cheddar flavor). Also got a Coke.

Well, the Coke gave me my twelve ounces' worth of fluid. However, the bag of chips wasn't even filled a third of the way. More like a quarter of the bag was filled.

I know this is nothing new, and that Western Civilization will be able to withstand such corporate rip-offs. But a fifty-cent bag of potato chips that's only a quarter full brings to mind all the other areas where corporate America is giving us less and less for our money.

When I was growing up, I could count on thirty-two fifty-two-minute episodes of Star Trek per season, with reruns showing only during the summer.

Now I get just twenty-four forty-six-minute episodes of Enterprise with the entire season being rerun at least twice before the next season (during the fall and spring as well as the summer).

The U.S. Postal Service wants to increase postage rates still further for even slower service and mail-order merchandise that often arrives damaged, courtesy of a postal worker.

Where will all this end? And, come to think of it, can Western Civilization survive this?

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Sounds like Jack needs a Beer instead of a Coke and Chips.
    Peace out~[​IMG]

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

All chip bags are only filled half way at most, at least from my experience.

I hate when stuff you bought from a mail order thing or over the internet comes to you damaged. It pisses me off to no end. I had alot of CDs come with the pegs or spindle or whatever they are broken off and the CD floating around in the case all scratched due to the pegs being broken and rubbing the CD.

TV shows definately go by too fast these days. It's all about making money. Gotta show those ads, and lots of them, or you won't get the money for advertising the product. I also hate how they cut down TV shows just so they can show more commercials.

The world sucks, especially those out to get your money, which are most everybody. I'll take your money but you can't take mine is alot of people's motto.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Chip bags are mostly air to minimize winding up with a bag full of chip crumbs, thus the chips tend to settle. Maybe you should weigh the bag and see if the weight matches the label. Vending machines are way overpriced anyway. It costs 55 cents for a pack of gum or a roll of Life Savers, and the ones in public places (malls, hotels, etc.) are even worse.

As for greed and high prices, stamps are nothing compared to a lot of other things. Pay phones come readily to mind. For decades (heck, most of my life, and I'm in my mid-30s), it cost 10 cents to place a local call on a pay phone. Then, just a few years ago it went up to 25 cents, then 35, now it costs 50 cents for a local call! That's a five-fold increase in 6 years! Tell me that isn't greedy. And television, not only are there more and more commercials and less program time (and more reruns), but then cable rates just go up and up and up as well. A classic example of paying more and getting less. Banks are the same way too, more and higher fees, higher minimum balances, and lower and lower savings/CD interest rates.

And on the other side of the coin, I'm underpaid as well due to corporate greed. Prices go up faster than salaries, certainly mine anyway.

KJP

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Perhaps Frito-Lay and other chips companies have determined that in order to maintain the integrity of the potato chip's shape, they must be sure not to overfill the bag, lest all the chips rub against each other and lose their unique, patented form.
    Frito Lay thanks you for your inquiry and would be happy to send you a voucher toward the purchase of another 1/3 filled bag of chips.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Joseph

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

"The contents are packaged by weight, not by volume."

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Oh, I think the massive increase in movie ticket prices is the most alarming thing, at least to my social life. [​IMG]

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Jack,

Be pissed if you want to be pissed. That's my motto.

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

What gets me is the high cost of Oscar Mayor bacon. Why is it $5.49 a pound? Is there a shortage of pigs or something?

My worst vending machine horror involved ants. No, I didn't buy anything with ants inside it, but genius boy who filled the machine sprayed bug spray inside the machine when ants got inside it. The chips I bought reeked of bug spray and no way could I eat them.

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

11. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

*tenses up*

Julie is back to her bacon obsessions? Remember the abuse she took for that a few weeks ago? Well, what goes on in her personal life is fine--and if she wants to share it, that's fine too. But I'm still concerned about civilization.

Here's another example, involving an American icon: the comic book. When I was still drooling, a comic book cost ten cents. Before that, during the so-called "Golden Age," comic books were larger (close to 8.5 x 11) and contained sixty-four pages. By the time comic books were of interest to me, the trim size had been reduced and the page count was thirty-two. But they were still ten cents.

By the time I left the hobby, comic books had jumped from twelve cents to fifteen cents.

Now I understand they cost a lot, lot more.

Don't know why I thought of comic books.

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Oh, I should have known better than to mention the bacon again. Really guys, I just cook it and eat it. [​IMG]
    But how about the huge increase in the price of paperbacks? I remember when they were around $3 to $4 for a real large one and now they are closing in on $9.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Is this the place to rant about things? Jack closed my "off-ramp Pan-handlers" thread a couple weeks back saying this was not the place to rant.

17. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Is this the place to rant about things? Sorry double tap!

18. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Hmm people will rant about things almost anywhere ... but these seems to be a decent spot as any [​IMG]

19. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

20. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator