What's new

Went to a store today and virtually ALL DVD's were ABOVE MSRP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all. Store in question, FYE in Manhattan. Unless something was on sale, (perhaps 30 titles...) virtually ALL discs were 2$ to 3$ ABOVE their MSRP! If disc was MSRP listed at $19.99, here it was $21.99. Box sets, about $3.00 more. Videogames, $3.00 more.
Is this legal? Also, how many stores do this???
Was very annoying and I walked out vowing to NEVER buy anything in there even if it was on sale!

:frowning: D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They can try to sell anything at whatever price they want, there is no law stopping them. Tons of stores do this, especially those in strip malls. Most rely on the idea of convenience over cost in their pricing.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Jeff. Didn't know. Had NEVER seen this in NYC before which is pretty competitive now with Best Buy, Circuit City, Disc-o-rama and The Wiz.... Most of those always give $5.00 off any title at all times. Odd that this store should do this here....

:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Back last summer or fall, Best Buy was under discussion here for raising their prices to at or near list price in many cases.

Unnoticed in the general discussion were a few comments from FYE customers (and at least 1 employee) who stated that FYE, whose prices on DVDs had already been AT list price, where now raising their prices to OVER the list.

This is a chain-wide thing, and not exclusive to Manhattan. Apparently this is profitable for them, but I recommend that the discerning customer stay away! :)

On the other hand, I hear you can get come great bargains from their website, FYE.com...whenever you can find coupon codes in the bargain sections! :wink:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Dave. You are Right. Just checked their site and everything is about 3 to 4$ cheaper than the "sale" price I saw in the store. "Angel" S1 is $3 cheaper for ex. Free shipping for $49 and over orders and if there is a coupon somewhere, wow. Shame that their actual stores are for the most part, gouging people.

:) D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I rant about FYE all the time! I'm dumbfounded that anyone actually buys anything there.

About the only thing I ever buy there are used DVD's (and a lot of those are quite high priced, as well, so you have to watch what you buy).

Ryan FB

Second Unit
If $2-3 above MSRP upsets you...I suggest you never step foot in a Suncoast or Barnes & Noble's DVD section :D ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
yeah how about borders? expensive stuff, especially on criterions.
Borders really upsets me. They used to have most DVD's for 5 bucks less then list price and I would pick up quite a few there. Now they have gone to primarily list price and I have not bought a DVD there in the past year. They lost my business but I bet there are many people who do not know how to find the best deals or want to put the time into finding the deals. I guess this is what keeps these mall and other stores that charge MSRP and above in business.

J

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I found the out of print Criterion Charade in FYE priced at MSRP ($40) last month. I think that was a pretty fair price given that used copies online often go for more than that. Sure, it had been sitting on the shelf for a while, but this is just an example of some of the goodies that you might be able to find every once and a while in those stores with overpriced merchandise.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Most of the Music stores in my area that also sell DVDs, price them near or at or above the MSRP. :frowning:

I'e only resorted to buying 1 2-disc set from them (ST2:TWOK) at about $30.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ryan, The Barnes and Noble near me (UWS, Manhattan) actually charges list price with new releases generally 15 to 20 % off. I got "Sunset Blvd." there for $19.99.
The Tower records near me has everything on sale for the 1st month then it goes back to list...
I did notice however that there was virtually NOBODY buying ANYTHING in the FYE store and it was 6:00 at nite which would ususally be a busy time elsewhere. Maybe they will fold up shop soon. Good Riddance.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've always been puzzled by FYE's pricing.

Here in Portland, one end of the mall has a Best Buy, while FYE is on the other end. In the best case, FYE was $3 more for the same title from BB. In the worst case, a DVD for $19.99 at Best Buy was $29.99 at FYE a couple hundred yards away...

Now, I certainly understand that retailers have overhead and need to make a profit, and I wouldn't begrudge a retailer that charges the MSRP (I may not shop there, but that's a different story)... but to charge more than that is rediculous. I can accept this sort of thing from an independent "mom & pop" shop where you might get better service, etc... but from a chain with brain-dead teens behind the counter? I don't think so.

-Scott

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Without coming right out and saying "FYE SUCKS", let me just say I'm not very impressed with things I've seen from them.

First off we see some excellent web prices and a 20% off coupon, but then lo and behold, magically orders with the 20% discount start getting cancelled. And no way to reinstate the orders and still get the discount.

Now this profiteering pricing in their B&M stores.

I agree with Dave Mack, let 'em fold! :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I find it funny. Here at the mall in Albany, there's a Best Buy diagonally across from FYE - they're about 10 or 15 steps away from each other, and FYE still charges at least MSRP on just about all the non-sale titles. Pretty frequently, I notice a title on sale at FYE, and the "sale" price is a couple bucks higher than at BB literally just a few feet away. And yet people still shop at FYE instead of BB. But to be fair to them, you can OCCASIONALLY find a good deal at FYE.

Actually, FYE's parent company, TWEC, is headquartered here in Albany. Just an FYI.

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
The FYE in Atlanta also has expensive DVD's. Even their sales items were more expensive than, say, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... However, I did find Mickey Mouse In Living Color last month, and was able to snatch that up (at MSRP of course). Someone mentioned it in one of the posts above, but I think the stores that sell DVD's at high prices are good places to look for rare or OOP titles. For example, I was able to find Silly Symphonies at Barnes & Noble (again, at MSRP). I think a lot of DVD consumers avoid those stores and stick to online ordering or the large B&M's, whereas stores like Borders, and Barnes appeal to people who want to make one location their source for one stop shopping.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but are the clerks cute?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. I went to purchase 'Don't Look Back' for pre-release at DVD Empire, and their price was one buck over the MSRP. Then it had the nerve to add - You Save $ -1.00. I'd just find another place to shop.

Glenn

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It is odd that FYE is so expensive since their owners, TWEC also own Strawberries, a New England based CD store that has GREAT DVD prices. They had the ANGEL box set for $39, less than Circuit City and Best Buy. Plus they had the Back to the Future trilogy the same price as CC and BB but also with a $10 mail in rebate, making it $10 cheaper (after 3 months of waiting though).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks