Wendigo - A new horror masterpiece.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ross Williams, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Alright, I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it a masterpiece, but I had to get your attention. It's definitely a damn fine film though.

Not an overly scary film. It gives you a much more forboding feel. It's supernatural, while also being very realistic. The filmmakers build dread through imagery and sound. Not relying on any of the typical "boo!" moments of today's horror films.

It's well written, wonderfully acted and beautifully photographed. I loved all the stop-motion and time-lapse photography, it was perfectly blended within the story's structure, not trying to be showy.

I highly recommend this to any horror fan or any fan of good cinema.

If anybody has seen it, I'd like to discuss some more spoilerish topics.

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

By any chance is 'Wendigo' about Cannibals?
    I only ask because the film Ravenous references the name 'Wendigo' often, referring to the bloodlust that takes over once someone has 'tasted of another's flesh.'
    Sounds interesting though.
    ~j

3. Ross Williams

Wendigo is an indian spirit, a shape shifter, appearing as man, tree, deer, whatever it wants I guess. It feeds on men, the more it eats, the hungrier it gets. So yeah, I guess it'd be the same Wendigo they referenced in Ravenous.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I thought WENDIGO was an excellent and very unique horror film. Its a shame that the majority of the people I know who've seen it think its boring or too "arty". [​IMG] I for one thought it was great, and while I wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece, it is close. I thought Otis was a great character, very odd and off kilter. John Speradakos (sp?) did a great job portraying him. Luckily, Artisan actually gave this a proper DVD release, as they haven't been doing so for all films lately.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I thought Wendigo was a sasquatch. [​IMG]

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

7. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

"Wendigo" is the third in director Larry Fessenden's "Modern Monster" trilogy; the other two are "Habit," a vampire / drug addiction film, and "No Telling," a Frankenstein / vivisection film. "No Telling" is kinda tough to find, but "Habit" should be readily available for rental, if you're interested. It's not bad.

--K

8. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Dome Vongvises wrote:
    [QUOTE=

9. Ross Williams

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Habit is my favorite American horror movie of the 90's so I've been waiting to see Fessenden's Wendigo. I've got it on my rental list at Netflix. Didn't realize he'd made a Frankenstein flick, I need to check that one out.