Welp, the TV Guide Channel is now gone..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Oct 22, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

and replaced with the generic Cablevision version....ugh. Nothing but 24 hours of Optimum Online adds. At least the TVGC was fun to leave on if you wanted some background noise while working or something...

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    neil you should mention what cable system yopu have because down here in delaware county pa we have comcast and still get the tv guide channel.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Thought I did, hence the Cablevision mention in the post [​IMG].

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

he did mention his cable system, it's cablevision. [​IMG]
    edit: ugh, you beat me to the chase, neil.

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Cablevision stinks. If it wasn't for the cable modem service, I'd have quit them entirely.
    I've heard that the company is in financial trouble and might be selling the cable division to Time Warner.
    A company called Cablevision that has neither cable or vision, seems odd to me. Just another example of corporate stupidity [​IMG]

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>I've heard that the company is in financial trouble and might be selling the cable division to Time Warner.
    >

Well, don't know if I hope that is the case. As you stated, their Cable Modem service is the best thing about the company. I wouldn't want to lose that at the Shore house...

However, with Time Warner, we might get a few extra networks with the Digital Cable setup that we don't have with Cablevision... I wonder wich company has the worst reputation?

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Friends of mine a few miles away have Time Warner and have the digital cable service. I hear mostly neutral to good reports about packages/service.
    Help me out here please, if we get cable modem service, how much more effort is required by the cable company to provide digital cable service ? I realize that subscribers need new set top boxes, but what else is involved. [​IMG]
    Cablevision made a big deal about running fiber trunk lines to support cable modem, took what seems like years to get done.

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Help me out here please, if we get cable modem service, how much more effort is required by the cable company to provide digital cable service ? I realize that subscribers need new set top boxes, but what else is involved.
    Cablevision made a big deal about running fiber trunk lines to support cable modem, took what seems like years to get done.
    >
    Last November we had Cable Modems installed around the neighborhood. As I told the Cable guy, "I waited five years for this, another 5 weeks for it to be finished won't be a problem [​IMG]". After that, nothing happened untill I saw yet more Cablevision trucks work the neighborhoods this OCtober.
    After an email to Customer Support, seems their Digital IO service is being rolled out in the next year or so. Not that it really matters, since their IO Channel lineup sucks to high heavan. Who really needs 10 different HBO's, Showtimes, Encores, Starz, etc? Why not use that space to put in different, most requested channels like Boomerang, Golf Channel, Yes Network, or Gameshow network?
    That's one reason why I wanted to give Direct TV a try...

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

YES Network on Cablevision ? Not while Dolan owns Cablevision I'm afraid.
    Another reason to hope they sell to Time Warner, they have YES. [​IMG]

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Neil and Lew, pretty much the same situation here....I finally got fed up with Cablevision about 3 years ago and got DirecTV, best move I ever made. About a year ago though, Optimum Online (a Cablevision subsidiary) became available in my neighborhood (still no digital cable TV though) so I reluctantly became a CV customer again.....I have to say though, their cable modem service is outstanding.

On a related note that may be of interest to you, I read today that Cablevision is planning to launch a limited satellite TV service next summer. This was the result of an effort by EchoStar Commmunications Corp. (Dish Network) and Hughes Electronics Corp. (DirecTV) to save their proposed $18B merger which got shot down two weeks ago by the FCC, stating that such a merger would create a monopoly.

Under the new proposal, EchoStar & Hughes have agreed to sell satellite slots that reach the West Coast which would fill in blanks in Cablevision's satellite configurtion. CV now has spectrum that reaches mostly markets in the East and the Midwest. Critics of the plan have questioned whether the nation's seventh largest cable company has the finances to become a bona fide satellite TV competitor.

Vin

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was reading the 1800cable website the other day, just to see if they had any more information on digital cable that I wasn't getting from the cablevision site.

One thing about sattellite seemed doubtfull. According to them, you get two Satellite receivers, and you can only watch one show on both TV's. No matter where they where located in the house. I really doubt this, but it would definetly defer people from going to sattellite if true..

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    o i see i didnt know cablevision was the actual name of the cable company.
    do you guys actually watch that channel enough to not like what it is changed to?

i'm lucky if i leave it on long enough to go around 1 time.

13. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

That is not correct. If your dish has a 'dual output LNB', you get 2 coax connections that can be run to 2 IRDs (receivers). You can watch whatever you want on each IRD. You will need to subscribe for 2 IRD service. Each IRD should be connected to a phone line and I believe that there is something like a $5 per month 2nd IRD charge.
    As a matter of fact, you can get up to 4 IRDs hooked up to a dual output LNB if you buy an $80 'multiswitch'. You can not just split the output of the LNB and expect your receivers to work. You can split the output of the receiver and have 2 devices watch the same channel.

14. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Yep, what Lew said.....I have 4 satellite receivers (an additional $5/month charge for each one beyond the primary) running off of my dual LNB with a multi-switch.

Independent programming on each receiver/TV.....the 5th TV (kitchen) receives it's signal from the living room receiver, so no independent programming here. A remote extender from Radio Shack works great for this configuration.

Vin

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer