What's new

Welles' War of the Worlds radio on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought the Orson Welles War of the Worlds radio broadcast was available on the Citizen Kane DVD, but reviews and features lists don't mention it. Is it available somewhere, or has it been mentioned as an extra for the upcoming WOTW '53 SE?

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I saw a documentary on the Welles event at Barnes And Noble the other day for 14.99. It had the complete broadcast as an extra. I was waiting to see if it was cheaper someplace else before I pick it up and deposit it in my Welles collection. LOL

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
The documentary is called "The Day That Panicked America" and is available through Amazon. It's a two disc collection, the second being a CD of the original "War of the Worlds" broadcast made by the Mercury Theater back in 1938. I watched the DVD last night, finding it pretty interesting. Lots of information on Welles, the broadcast itself, and the state of mind of the American people during those times.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, John. That sounds like a nice package. In the meantime, Jack, I thank you for the link. Besides War of the Worlds, that site has a lot of stuff I'm going to want to listen to. That's an amazing slate of programs they have!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
There is also a book called The Complete War of the Worlds which features the original book, radio script and other items of interest. It also includes a CD of the radio broadcast.

-paul

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
The UK release has it as an extra along with an adaptation of an Oscar Wilde short story (I believe it might be "The Selfish Giant", but I am far from sure).

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

As Miguel says it is included in full on disk 2 of the UK R2 2 disk SE from Universal.
BTW if looking specifically for this Universal sell both 1 and 2 disk versions of the film in the UK, so make sure you get the 2 disk SE.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

According to Patrick Mirza at Davisdvd the specs for the 1953 WOTW have been released and the 1938 radio broadcast is listed as an extra.

Details can be found in this thread War of The Worlds SCE (George Pal) post #22 and here at davisdvd.

Enjoy children.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks