What's new

Well, we all like to have flawless Special Edition DVDs, but..... (1 Viewer)

StevenFC

Second Unit
Exactly how much would you spend on a perfect-in-every-way Special Edition DVD? I mean if they went to the trouble of restoring every movie. Including removing every nick and scratch and using the highest bitrate and spreading every movie over two or even three discs with at least a couple of discs for special features along with a booklet and all of that. Think along the lines of Lord of the Rings, West Side Story or Black Hawk Down, only to the max.

What would be the most you'd pay for such a set?

I'm just curious. Because I think we might (might, mind you) see such a thing when HD-DVD hits the market.

I think I'd go as high as $35 maybe $40 depending on the film. I've already paid $30 for a few special editions that I thought were worth the price.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've paid $100-120 for Criterion editions of Casablanca, Close Encounters, and others on laserdisc.
and that was in 1990 dollars.

if it was a film like Star Wars that has a TON of archived material in the form of photos, artwork, different story drafts, merchandising, marketing artwork, BTS footage, on and on...not to mention a highly desired original/alternate cut of the film itself, i would easily pay $50-100 for a limited edition that incorporated all that.
make no mistake, the set would have to be packed and the a/v quality beyond reproach, but i would happily pay it.

the first LD i ever bought was Empire Strikes Back and it was $70 and bare bones- not even a trailer.
i was over the moon with it though, because i finally owned the complete film, in the highest quality format availble and it was in its complete theatrical Aspect Ratio!

i just watched the new Casablanca SE the other day, and its amazing that that package is even better than the Criterion disc at about 1/5 th the cost (i paid even less thru CH).

its mind blowing really.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Depends on the movie. If its something I really care about I'd spend 30 bucks if it was perfect.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Depends completely on the film in question, and my current wants and mad desires at the time.

Having said that, I'd pay $100 each for the current set of The Lord of the Rings EE packages. How easily can I be seduced by great movies, great supplements and near-perfect video and audio? :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'd be willing to spend $30.00 on a "perfect" DVD. For some movies (Raiders, LOTR, OT Star Wars, Godfather, Apoc. Now, etc.) I would pay more. Now, perfect for me is audio/video --- extras often don't mean a lot to me.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Considering I've spent over $40 on 'so-called' special editions, I'd have to say $50-$100 on a 'perfect' set.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
What would you guys consider a "perfect-in-every-way Special Edition DVD" I would feel its something like this

OAR (16:9 if widescreen).
original sound mix (if its a new mix, then it must be director approved).
If movie is not in english then a dub track along with sub titles.
Director's appoved cut.
Commentary by someone other then the actors.
Ever friggen trailer and tv spot.
Deleted scenes if any
Any extras from a preveus release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Seems there is an Apples and Oranges comparison here with the type of people on this forum.

Like Scott already said above, I came from the late 80's and early 90's and spent on average $80.00 to $100.00 on Criterion laserdiscs. So I was willing then to pay for the good stuff.

If the same were for HD-DVD, the less the price the better of course, as the younger people just getting into this are seeing, they don't have the history of us older guys, so the expectation is for all DVD's is to have all the extras and be $20-$30.00 for a single film.

It seems that the stuff that made the SE and DC's of the laserdisc era so much a market niche and a special event is now so mainstream, the expectation is to have as much extras as possible on your average DVD release and be $14.00, like the recently released and nicely done Star Trek 6.

That said, if it was an all out effort and HD-DVD with all the bells and whistles, and is an event movie, then I can see paying in the $40 to $60.00 range and if it was a tad more, then it's possible. Like I said, the expectation is for a lower price, unless it's aiming at the same niche as the LD market used to be, then maybe up to $80.00 is what I'd expect to see.

That's my guess.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
It certainly depends on the movie and DTS soundtrack.

Example: My favorite movie of all time is Terminator 2: Judgment Day and no matter how many times it's been re-released on DVD I continually buy it. When I bought T2: UE in 2000 I paid CDN$42! I have the VHS version, VCD version and now T2: EE DVD. Hell, if they come out with another edition with very better features, in out comes my wallet.

If a movie is re-released with a DTS soundtrack that I know can be beneficial to my viewing experience, I'll shell out the dough. Example: Bad Boys Superbit. Paid CDN$33 for it.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I remember the days of LD. I paid 50 bucks a a barebones Criterion Robocop just for an extra 3 seconds. I must say that the Looney Tune box sets were a lot better on LD then on DVD. Weren't those like 150 bucks each or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks