Well this is not fair (FMJ)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andy Patrizio, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio Stunt Coordinator

I have HD cable, and one of the channels is INHD2, which plays uncut movies. This evening, I got to watch Full Metal Jacket in 1080i widescreen. My DVD is full screen, damn it.

This isn't the first injustice I've seen. I saw Strange Days, a favorite of mine, in 1080 a few weeks back. The DVD isn't even anamorphic.

I suspect INHD2 is really going to make me dislike my DVD collection...

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Couple things of note:

Kubrick contended he preferred 4:3 for many of his films, although to me it looks good in 1.78:1 as well. There are numerous threads on this.

On Strange Days, I believe that film is 2.35:1. If it's showing on HD cable, odds are it's cropped to 1.78:1.

I wish they wouldn't do that.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Well, I think Andy was joking around about being dissapointed, but your point is valid. I'd throw in that ShowtimeHD, for the most part, shows films in OAR. It's hit-or-miss with Starz, and HBOHD and CinemaxHD almost exclusively show 1.78:1. To be fair, they claim that it's how the distibutors give them the films, I assume because the studios can't stand anyone having a good HD copy of their films.

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Thanks for the info Jesse-I didn't know that about Showtime HD. I only have HBO HD at the moment.

5. Andy Patrizio

I was half-joking. It IS irritating to see a better version of a movie you like on TV than in your library and there's nothing you can do about it.

And yes, everything on INHD2 is in 1.78:1.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It was 1.78 cropped. The PQ didn't blow me away either. They need to remaster this.

OTOH, FMJ looked rather stellar. Wasn't the OAR 1.85?

7. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

Not everything. I know I've seen 2.35:1, although I don't recall what movie(s). Also, they showed the old House of Wax at 1.33:1.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Actually, Andy, there is something you can do about it, a couple of things actually...

You can invest in a D-VHS deck and record those films and retain them in 1080i or...

You can get a DVR from your cable provider that will store those films in 1080i.

[​IMG]

9. Andy Patrizio

Heh, D-VHS decks should be pretty cheap these days.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Given the limited amount of space on your dvr, it makes little sense unless you don't record that much for HD anyway. But yes you could offload it to your DVHS if you want one of those.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Blu Ray/HD DVD recorder with firewire.

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

As already stated, this is untrue. I don't know if they crop some films, but they have shown films in their proper OAR, such as THX-1138 and History of the World: Part 1. Plus, I consider it a bonus when we get to see FMJ and Eyes Wide Shut broadcast at 1.78/1.

Bruce