What's new

Well, that's that. The original STAR WARS trilogy is history I think. (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But changing the Greedo scene is so small in the grand scheme of things that it really didn't change much at all.
Right there.

By making a blanket statement you attempt to invalidate the opinions of those who feel that this scene really DID change a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Hubert

Second Unit
Hmm, where are the words "you should feel this way too?"

I don't see it Carlo. If you're that touchy, that you're going to scour every word someone posts, then you won't ever like what anyone posts. I was making a statement about what that scene had in relation to the entire story. Nowhere did I say you must feel this way to. Has it gotten to the point where everyone must post I THINK in big letters before every post? Even you have to admit that particular scene does not have a lot of bearing on the story as a whole. Changing that scene, although I prefer the old scene, does not change the story hardly at all. We could tell Han was a take no prisoner kind of smuggler in his conversation with Luke and Obi-Wan, and also throughout the remaining two hours.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Even you have to admit that particular scene does not have a lot of bearing on the story as a whole.
There you go again (sounding like Ronald Reagan if you're old enough to remember that presidential debate). I do not have to admit that, although you tell me I have to admit that. You don't say "you have to feel this way" right out, but you IMPLY it.

To me, Han is a major character. To me, that scene establishes Han as a cutthroat smuggler on the run, willing to kill anyone who tries to get in his way. Now he's just a guy with quick reflexes (can dodge a LASER) with some bad guys like Greedo after him. It affects a major SUB-plot for me, which is the redemption of Han Solo from cutthroat to hero.

So a major change to a major character impacts the story in a major way FOR ME. And obviously for others as well, judging by the posts above. Does it change the Anakin goes from good to bad to good storyline? No. Does it change that the Empire rises and falls? No.

And no, I'm not extra sensitive about these things. Tom_G and I have butted heads before about some SW things, but we always come to an agreeable conclusion. We agree to disagree. But when you make statements like the one above, you're not allowing me to do even that.

Hubert

Second Unit
Ok, whatever, the scene has a major impact on the story. The change completely threw off the entire movie, and completely destroys the Han Solo character. Ok, end of argument.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hubert, NO NO NO!!!!

I feel that it does, you don't. That's fine! That's my point. We can feel differently, I'm not trying to make you agree with me, I'm just trying to present the alternate view that some people have.

That's the great thing about freedom here, you can feel however the heck you want!

Hubert

Second Unit
I'm agreeing to simply end the argument. It's gotten tiresome arguing about such a small thing anyway. Besides, I've got both versions so it makes no nevermind to me. If that one change completely destroys the movies for you, then all I can say is you better stay a million miles away from them and the OT DVDs when they are released. I suggest you buy the OT on Laserdisc, if you can find it, and be done with it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I already do own the OT LDs (the last one before the SEs, not the definitive collection). But to my eyes I can tell the difference between LDs and DVDs on my setup (I have to borrow an LD player since I don't own one) and that's why there's a movement afoot to try and get the OT/non-SEs released on DVD. Aside from the side & disc breaks, the LDs still don't look anywhere near as sharp as DVDs, and also aren't anamorphic which is becoming a big deal to me since I recently purchased a 16x9 set.

Hubert

Second Unit
The LDs aren't anamorphic, but the Definitive Collection CAV boxed set that I own has a picture that rivals DVD. I've never seen the other LDs that you have. But I have the Defintive Collection(as soon as I saw that I had to have it). I have the VCD set, as well as the VHS Trilogy 2000 Special Editions as well as the THX certified original version of the trilogy. So I'm all set.
I hope Lucas will do the smart thing and release the original trilogy with the unaltered version as well as the new versions with the added scenes, ala ID4 and T2. That would make everyone happy. And I think it's good to apppease all the fans. Besides, that way he gets to make them more expensive.:laugh: More money for the Lucas empire.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
If that one change completely destroys the movies for you
My, my... that's taking it a bit far...

The change doesn't COMPLETELY DESTROY the movie for me, but it definitely doesn't improve it!

And wouldn't improvement be the only acceptable reason for altering a movie in the first place?!

Hubert

Second Unit
I didn't say it improved it. I just said, well at least to me, the change was not that big of a deal. I don't see how that one small change has much of an effect on the movie. That scene doesn't even last 3 minutes. And we don't need that scene to know what kind of character Han Solo is. But if others think that that particular scene is that important, so be it. As for the so called Jabba scene, I understand why he put it in there, but I didn't care for the result. That scene affected the pacing and had more affect on the movie than the Greedo scene does.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This is a tiresome fight, and one I wish wouldn't start. I am all for a "movement" to get the OT on DVD, even if it's for historical reasons. I personally don't feel the Han scene ruins his character, but it is lame, and I would gladly pay to have it removed forever. I do understand that it has a stronger effect on others. To them I say, let your imagination do the work, and ignore it. To those that argue it doesn't change the story at all, I'd ask for some understanding...it does. To each their own.

Take care,

Chuck

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The fact this debate has been going on for almost five years is a testament to how passionate fans are of Star Wars. :)

Hubert

Second Unit
Yep! Star Wars fans are passionate. That's actually putting it mildly. Can't you tell thhat by me?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
You also need an analogique video capture card to capture it. Needless to say, it’s better that you capture from a laserdisc. Feel free to ask anything you want because I have already done this! This is why you don’t see many posts from me requesting the release of the Original Trilogy on DVD! :D But it's always good to have an official release and transfer!

Hubert

Second Unit
Did you make it from a Laserdisc? What's the basic process? I know it would take you forever to go into detail, but what's the basics? Speaking of that, I have the Definitive Collection Star Wars LD box set. It is of the original trilogy. What's unique is that all of the discs are CAV and there are 3 discs for each movie. Does it make it difficult trying to make DVDs of a LD that had 3 seperate discs.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
All of this debate skips over the real question:

If, in fact, Lucas goes back and changes the OT to further enhance continuity, is he going to digitally alter Mark Hamill's face in ESB and ROTJ to make him look the same as he did in ANH, pre-car accident...or is he going to change his face in ANH to make it match the subsequent two films?

A real puzzler, that.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. The older I get, the more crotchety I get--I'm beginning to wish Lucas had never revisited that galaxy far, far away in any way, shape, or form, post-1983. Now let me go check my OT LDs for rot...

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Back to the Greedo debate...
My problem with the changes is that is reduces the impact of Han's return to help the rebels fight the death star at the end.
As mentioned in previous posts, by having Han shoot first, we get an insight into his character - he is a mercenary and is looking after his own interests, with no 'warm-fuzzy' feelings to sway him from his objective.
Switch to the final battle scene in ANH - all the troops are off to fight - but Han has his own agenda, and its not to fight their war. We know he won't be coming back to help them, because the Greedo scene reinforced his character traits.
So when Han does return to join the battle in the nick of time, we all breathe a sigh of relief at the 'unexpected' plot twist.
By softening up the Han-Greedo interaction at the beginning, Han's change of heart at the end is diluted and its impact reduced :frowning:
Now, if only I hadn't sold my VHS version of the OT last year in anticipation of an imminent DVD release. D'oh!
Angela

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks