Well, that's that. The original STAR WARS trilogy is history I think.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just read over at the Force.net that Lucas has already shot even more new scene's that he will cut into the original trilogy, and released sometime this decade. He is adding stuff that will tie the entire series together better, so he says.
    So, it seems that their is no hope AT ALL for the Star Wars purists out their of ever getting the original unaltered versions of these films on dvd.
    I have to say though, that on a sidenote, i'm very interested in what exactly he'll be adding. I'm hoping for four thing's, in addition to all of the other new stuff...
    1. That he'll restore the Greedo scene back to it's original version.
    2. Remove that godaweful Jabba the Hutt scene.
    3. Remove that girlyman scream from Luke in 'ESB'.
    4. And finally, restore Vader's "Bring my Shuttle!" line back into 'ESB'.
    With the exception of those four scene's, I really liked the special edition's, thay match 'EP 1' more I think. I think that his reasoning behind all these changes is sound, he just want's the entire story to flow equaly and evenly without a noticable change in looks between the six films. That makes sense to me.
    So, to all you guy's here who are still holding out hope that we'll get these unaltered on dvd, I think you might as well just throw your hands up, it's all over now.
    Boy, i've been on a real Star Wars kick here latly! I guess i'm just giddy with anticipation for 'EP II'.

2. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    [​IMG]
    You WERE joking right?

4. MikeCD

MikeCD Stunt Coordinator

Not only that, but they're changing the Zapruder footage so JFK is only niked, the driver gets the head shots. JFK lives and serves another term, 20 years later he and Bill Clinton go clubbing at Studio 54.

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Ok! Sorry! Yes I was joking. The truth is that the new scene is going to show that the mighty dangerous experienced bounty hunter Greedo accidentally shots and kills himself. Of course, Han tries to save him but no chance!

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    O.k. that's what I thought, but I HAD to ask, I mean you Star Wars fans are a shifty bunch, I can't tell when your joking around or not![​IMG]

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I heard that Greedo gets soooo drunk (while playing Go Fish with Han) that he falls out of his booth and hits his head on the corner of the table and dies from a brain contusion. Han is stunned and tries to give him mouth to mouth but fails. Later, Han serves as Greedos executor at his will hearing and puts Greedo's kids thru college .[​IMG]

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

1-4. I agree, ESPECIALLY on "Bring my shuttle."
    5. Get rid of the Vader shuttle sequence in TESB. It ruins the end pace and butchers John Williams' fast tempo.
    6. Cut out that horrible new sequence on cloud city after Lando says, "Attention." Does not belong.
    7. PLEASE get rid of the new Jabba's dancers sequence. I mean, WHAT the hell was that!?!? Horrible CGI too.
    8. Take out the shotgun sound effect of Leia's blaster from when she and Luke swing across the death star....why does it change all of the sudden!??! Ruins that scene.
    9. Take out that little droid that goes behind the stormtrooper on Tatooine in Mos Eisley, where Ben says, "You don't need his identification." -it takes away from this intense scene.
    10. Make the wampa look like the ORIGINAL wampa.
    11. Ronto and other Mos Eisley scenes.. who needs them?!
    -more added, stupid comedic scenes
    Keep the 5.1 sound [​IMG] Keep the cleaner print.
    I think that is about it.
    Hell, just give us the originals in 5.1 and anamorphic.

9. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well looks like i better get them on LD before it's to late & just get a LD player sometime.
    I saw Empire at Shinders,they have some used LD's now for $10! including alot of Criterion(North by Northwest ect) & also had a WS edition of Empire. It's not the THX release,but a earlier release that have the kewl original artwork & Dolby surround. Which is better than nothing!
    hmmm think i'll stop over there today & pick it up,before someone else does!!

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I have a very, very bad feeling about this. He is going to mess them up so bad that we won't even recognize them anymore. And to think that I didn't believe in bootlegs.

What a shame.

Glenn

11. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

First of all there's already a thread discussing this:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=6531
    Secondly, Lucas is filming new scenes so that they will tie into the prequel trilogy better. If this makes the 6 episode saga more cohesive and corrects any supposed contradictions (like the Emperor's appearance in ESB) then maybe it's not such a bad thing.

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I say this in the best possible light, so please don't hurt me, but I think that every Star Wars fan is going to have to face this fact, as I have, the original Star Wars trilogy was nothing more than a rough draft, period. Not easy to hear I know but it's true. They were an unfinished sketch of what was intended by Lucas, it's just unfortunate that we got so used to them.
    Let them go, their gone, Lucas is going to continue to polish them until the series works as a whole, and without these changes, it won't, they are nesassary i'm sorry to say. Those with the original LD's have the trilogy in their raw form. I like the original's, but I like the special edition's more, he's making these changes, we can't stop him, it's pointless and futile to cry about it.

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

14. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

I have to say, when I dig out a Star Wars VHS (eek) to watch, it's invariably an SE. The benefits outweigh the disadvantages in my eyes.

Yes, it's a shame that Mr Lucas does not want the originals to see the light of day again and that he probably will not do a Spielberg and include multiple versions. Will I be dismayed by this? Yes. Will I become all "angry young man" about it? It's not worth it. And I'd say I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan.

I would love a set of those THX remastered originals on LD for posterity, though. Any time I found out where they were being sold, I was too late - so if anyone has any clues. Has to be an etailer who ships to the UK...

Mark

15. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I'm almost tempted to buy the trilogy on VCD. (Not the bootlegs, but the official THX versions).

Sure, the picture is VHS quality, but the audio is supposed to be pretty good.

nick scott

16. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Hey, Carl, don't tell me, tell George. This is apparently want he want's, and he created this whole thing. But I can't agree with you on this issue of each film being different, o.k. sure, they are different in terms of story lines, tone, drama, and charactors, but I believe that the films should all at least appear to be taking place in the same established universe.
    Look how polished and beutiful 'EP I' looks phsyically, and look at the original Star Wars, you can obviously tell that one was made in the 70's and one in the late 90's, it just throws everything out of whack, and pulls you like a slap in the face out of the flowing story.

17. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    This was a huge drawn out mess the last time we went through it, and hopefully feelings have cooled. Good AOTC trailers have helped [​IMG]
    George will do what he wishes. I have both the Def. Collection and the SE's (in 5.1) on LD, as well as unwatched VHS copies of the THX-approved, non-SE OT, so I have consigned myself to that fact. However, I think George will provide the original as shot on DVD in a few years. Steve is doing it for E.T.
    With one major exception for each movie, I also enjoy the SE's. The new "establishing shots" are very enjoyable, although unnecessary.
    The OT is not just a set of movies, but a unique experience for many people. It is the heart and soul of my childhood (born in 1974), notwithstanding family. I have many, many memories linked to these films. At first, the SE's were a little jarring, but now, they are SW, plain and simple. In my mind, Han shoots first and Luke silently chooses death over corruption in Cloud City, so that it how it is, even when I watch the SE's. SW has gone beyond even what GL envisioned. Any further changes are his to make, but he can't alter it for me, and I don't think that is his intent. John W. called it a rough draft. I am not sure about that, but the story that exists in those films is what I love, not any one part of it. I only hope the new movies live up to the OT.
    Take care,
    Chuck

18. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    This is what it all comes down to for me. In another decade or so, when Lucas is finally done with all of his tinkering and additions, and is finally happy with them, and the entire Star Wars series is readily available to watch back to back on dvd, they will all flow together like fine wine, and even though they may look different, the heart of the Star Wars that we all loved growing up will still be their, beating ever harder than before, and that's what counts. Luke will still be their, Han will still be their, Leia, Chewy, Vader, C3PO, and our beloved R2D2 will all still be their, they may have new digitally enhanced haircut's, but they'll always be their.[​IMG]

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I say burn every copy of them blasphemous special editions, get back to the purity of the originals, now pray with me my brothers and sisters and ask for forgiveness, and let me lead you into the light (wait a min, going towards the light was good or bad? cant remember), I'm starting a huge bonfire party on saturday, everybodys invited to bring along their special editions of Star Wars trilogy, Star Trek TMP, The Abyss, Blade Runner, T2 etc for purification and we'll all hold hands and sing.[​IMG]
    Actually my take on this special edition business is if Lucas had never tampered with the original trilogy I would be just as happy, maybe more so (the CGI Jabba was awful, he looked more convincing as a big jerky hydraulic puppet, Greedo shooting first was crap, Lucas should have had Solo shoot first than kick Greedos body to the ground and shoot 2 more times at the body while yawning at the same time.[​IMG]
    I'm also not a big fan of tweaking dear old creaky Star Trek The Motionless Picture, but it's here and I've accepted it, nothing I can do about it, there should be a new law stopping directors from tampering with their movies and making more money from rereleasing these erm directors cuts, how many times has Spielberg modified Close Encounters? Is he finally happy with it?
    Sorry about this cranky post, I'll be nicer tomorrow, hey maybe I'll modify this post too and make it a special edition.[​IMG]

20. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

No, no, no, this is how it happens:
    Greedo is having a friendly conversation with Han Solo... New subs are added for Greedo.
    Greedo : Going somewhere, Han Solo, my friend?
    Han : Yes, Greedo [bad dub]my friend[/bad dub]
    Greedo : Stay a mo, let me buy you a drink. By the way, I'm just going to call Jabba the Hutt. We can do a conference call if you have your mobile on you.
    (Han notices that Greedo has a walkie-talkie in his hand)
    Han : I don't have it with me; tell Jabba that...
    Greedo : (to walkie-talkie) No, Jabba, I'm in the bar, I will have to speak up. What's that? You say my species doesn't respond well to alcohol?
    (Cut to Greedo falling unconscious)
    Han: [bad dub]I knew we should have met at farmer McDonald's place[/bad dub]. [canned laughter]