What's new

Well, Paramount, you blew it for HATARI! (2 Viewers)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m sorry but I can’t resist saying this because I simply don’t understand why the film is so popular. HATARI is one of my all time pet hates. I just can’t stand the film with all that comedy/adventure material which seems to meander forever with little point or purpose. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever managed to watch it all the way through. There – I’m so glad I got that off my chest! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Douglas R said:
I’m sorry but I can’t resist saying this because I simply don’t understand why the film is so popular. HATARI is one of my all time pet hates. I just can’t stand the film with all that comedy/adventure material which seems to meander forever with little point or purpose. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever managed to watch it all the way through. There – I’m so glad I got that off my chest! :)
It's far from my favorite Wayne film, but I'm a completist.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Douglas R said:
Wow, Douglas...I can see someone not really digging HATARI!, but I'm surprised that anyone could actually hate such a likeable, easygoing film. Anyhow, I respect your opinion, even if I disagree heartily. ;) It's one of my absolute favorite John Wayne films...I appreciate the way it meanders all over the place, focusing more on character and atmosphere rather than plot. Usually I'd agree with you about the plotless aspect, but something about this film just hits the exact right chord with me. I like these people, the African setting and the feeling of just hanging out with them through a season of animal catching. It's one of those movies like RIO BRAVO (another ambling entertainment from Howard Hawks) where I wish the story could just keep going on so I can spend a little more time with the characters.

I'm disappointed the A/V quality isn't all it should be, but the new Blu-Ray has got to be an improvement over the lousy DVD transfer. I just ordered the Japanese disc and should receive it by Monday. Like Mr. Crawford, I often find myself much happier with a given transfer than many of the other posters here (I'm pretty dang happy with THE QUIET MAN, for instance). Can't wait to check it out myself next week. Been waiting for this one to hit Blu-Ray for a long time. Thanks to the posters in this thread for alerting me to this release!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jeff Flugel said:
Wow, Douglas...I can see someone not really digging HATARI!, but I'm surprised that anyone could actually hate such a likeable, easygoing film. Anyhow, I respect your opinion, even if I disagree heartily. ;) It's one of my absolute favorite John Wayne films...I appreciate the way it meanders all over the place, focusing more on character and atmosphere rather than plot. Usually I'd agree with you about the plotless aspect, but something about this film just hits the exact right chord with me. I like these people, the African setting and the feeling of just hanging out with them through a season of animal catching. It's one of those movies like RIO BRAVO (another ambling entertainment from Howard Hawks) where I wish the story could just keep going on so I can spend a little more time with the characters.

I'm disappointed the A/V quality isn't all it should be, but the new Blu-Ray has got to be an improvement over the lousy DVD transfer. I just ordered the Japanese disc and should receive it by Monday. Like Mr. Crawford, I often find myself much happier with a given transfer than many of the other posters here (I'm pretty dang happy with THE QUIET MAN, for instance). Can't wait to check it out myself next week. Been waiting for this one to hit Blu-Ray for a long time. Thanks to the posters in this thread for alerting me to this release!
A lot of people like Hatari!, Jeff, including you and me. It's just fun and entertaining. I guess it's another case of different strokes for different folks. Mine is coming from Germany, along with Samson & Delilah and War And Peace. I'm looking forward to them, as well as El Dorado from Spain.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Lromero1396 said:
I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I'd rather Hatari! not be released over here unless it's done right.
No heat from me! I despise the most recent DVD release of this film. I saw this as a kid (twice) in theaters and (until the last 30 minutes, which seemed to meander) loved it. Not yet have I seen a video release of this movie that I have felt even remotely represented what I saw in 1962. That you find the import Blu-ray so badly lacking leaves me not merely disappointed but bemused. Where was the usual Paramount quality control here? This film, if I am not way off base, has sold well on its previous video releases, which AFAIC means the studio should have afforded it at least a decent Blu-ray release. I do fear the U.S. edition (when and if) will be a lazy replication of what is being offered in Europe. Really sad.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Jeff Flugel said:
It's one of my absolute favorite John Wayne films...I appreciate the way it meanders all over the place, focusing more on character and atmosphere rather than plot. Usually I'd agree with you about the plotless aspect, but something about this film just hits the exact right chord with me. I like these people, the African setting and the feeling of just hanging out with them through a season of animal catching. It's one of those movies like RIO BRAVO (another ambling entertainment from Howard Hawks) where I wish the story could just keep going on so I can spend a little more time with the characters.
Same with me, I couldn't have said it better. North To Alaska and Hatari are my two favorite John Wayne movies. It's tough for me to pick between them, it's kind of like 1A and 1B. Hatari has an easy going manner about it that is enjoyable.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Many years ago I was dining with friends at the original Spago. That night there were several A-listers eating things like duck pizza. But at the next table to me was . . . . Red Buttons! I actually said hello Pockets. He smiled, nodded, and that made my evening, even though he may have thought me mad. Hatari! Now that's a motion picture.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, I received my Japanese Blu-Ray today and did a A-B comparison with the old DVD tonight. The good news is that the BD is a marked improvement in every respect from the (quite poor) DVD, much better image and sound. The bad news is that the BD doesn't look nearly as good as it should. It's perfectly watchable, but a disappointment; this movie and the Duke deserve better. I'm still quite happy to have the upgrade, and as this is a film I generally watch at least once a year, will enjoy the heck out of this BD as it stands, as it's likely the best we're going to get. I have never seen HATARI! on the big screen like some other posters here, but can well imagine how nice it must have looked originally, and how to those people, this BD must come off as a mere shadow of its original glory. But for me, this is by far the best this film has ever looked on home video, and so overall I'm generally satisfied. Those with larger monitors or projection systems will likely be more critical (I have a 50" Panasonic plasma). Am curious to hear others thoughts if/when they pick this up.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Jeff Flugel said:
Well, I received my Japanese Blu-Ray today and did a A-B comparison with the old DVD tonight. The good news is that the BD is a marked improvement in every respect from the (quite poor) DVD, much better image and sound. The bad news is that the BD doesn't look nearly as good as it should. It's perfectly watchable, but a disappointment; this movie and the Duke deserve better. I'm still quite happy to have the upgrade, and as this is a film I generally watch at least once a year, will enjoy the heck out of this BD as it stands, as it's likely the best we're going to get. I have never seen HATARI! on the big screen like some other posters here, but can well imagine how nice it must have looked originally, and how to those people, this BD must come off as a mere shadow of its original glory. But for me, this is by far the best this film has ever looked on home video, and so overall I'm generally satisfied. Those with larger monitors or projection systems will likely be more critical (I have a 50" Panasonic plasma). Am curious to hear others thoughts if/when they pick this up.
Well, Hatari is due for release here in Australia in November along with War and Peace. We can compare then.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Well, Hatari is due for release here in Australia in November along with War and Peace. We can compare then.

How can we petition Warner Archive Collection to redo this film? They seem to react to fan request or perceived cult status. I mean 'The Deadly Trackers' ?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
How can we petition Warner Archive Collection to redo this film? They seem to react to fan request or perceived cult status. I mean 'The Deadly Trackers' ?

The Paramount deal with Warner is over. You'll have petition Paramount. And even if the deal was in place, Warner just released what elements Paramount had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks