What's new

Well, looks like I'm buying Japanese... (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I am a firm believer that german engineering is the best out there. This is why all my cars have been german made. But ever since the 300Z came out in the late 80's, I really thought that car looked cool and at the time, was revolutionary. Fast forward some 13 years later, and out comes the 350Z.

Well I hate to say it, but it looks like this car will be in my garage in the next couple of years. I won't buy now. There are always little glitches with brand new models
Here are some specs:
base price: $27000
0-60 : 5.4 secs
1/4 mile : 14.1 secs @101mph
Power: 287hp
Torque: 256ft/lbs
If you look at the specs for the 911 and boxter S, they are basically the same, and for the price, you can't beat it. Looks like I'll finally own a Z

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just read on www.nissannews.com that a convertible model of the Nissan 350z will be out later this fall...so you may want to look at that option also. My wife and I plan on doing just that!
I drive a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE and love the thing to death. Later this fall, Nissan is to introduce a bigger SUV (to rival the larger market: Expedition, Tahoe, and Toyota Sequoia) and I am really anxious to see that design also.
My wife drives a 2001 Mustang...and it's okay. We like the 350z much better though. That's why we are considering trading it in on a 350z convertible later this fall :)
Of course, we want to buy a house fairly soon also...so this may delay the 350z purchase a year or two - maybe :)
Have Fun!~

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I heard a nasty rumor that the supra was coming back. I'm holding out for that, hoping they don't do the supra like they did the MR2 on it's re-release :frowning:

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the 350z is an awesome car, but specs don't tell the whole story between a Porsche and a Nissan. Not only would the Porsche be faster thru the turns, it would probably be more fun to drive (and more expensive to maintain ;)).

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Avitevet,
You are probably right. However, the 911 scored .90g on the roadholding test whereas the 350Z scored .88g, which is pretty damn close.
While I agree with you that the Porsche should be more fun to drive, I believe (from what I have read) that the Z comes very close as well.
Not to mention, like you said, maintenance cost
The only reason that car's cost is so reasonable is because the car uses many parts (from an extensively huge part bin) used in other models, whereas Porsche uses parts specific to the 911, not mention the added price for the name.
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...roadtest_z.xml

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
P-shaw, Porsche, Nissan, I'm sure with a race on a racetrack between a Boxster S, 350Z, the better driver will win, forget the numbers, it's the driver that counts.
Kind of looks like an Eclipse from the front and I'm not that fond of the wraparound brake lights but should be a nice car with lots of different models to choose from.
Jay

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Nice. Bring on the sports cars!!!

I have a buddy who used to have a '70 (?) 240Z. I love the three little guages at the top of the dash that point at the driver. Just like the original! That is cool.

Is that copper color that the Japanese love so much starting to get old? I remember in the late 80s and early 90s when Honda came out with that dark green metallic, before long it was on everything. Now it seems that this copper color (that I actually like - particluarly on the Acura CL) is becoming the next "Ubiquitous Japanese Car Color™".

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Niel
Thanks for the link...but that vehicle shown is the Nissan Murano...which is not the the full size SUV that Nissan will be debuting this fall. The Murano is going to be a seperate vehicle from the new SUV, according to the press release email I got from Nissan a couple days ago.
I don't really care for the Murano much at all...so I'm hoping the new SUV will be quite abit different.
No on the convertible 350z, huh? :) I have never really owned one or experienced a convertible myself actually...but I guess they are something one would either love to own or hate to have...to each his own I guess!
Still seems like a pretty fine car for the $$$ :)

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Real nice (both of them) I can see a 350 in my garage.

But I have a question...

What's up with the dash mounted LCD displays that I'm seeing in a lot of new cars? I'm assuming it to be a GPS display though I've seen a few that will display DVD's.

Keep in mind that I haven't been car "shopping" in a few years (I drive a 95 pathfinder and the SO drives a 89 Caprice Classic, both all but indestructable) so I haven't actually seen or driven a vehicle with a display.

Here in Florida (and many other states) it's illegal to have a "video" display within sight of the driver. I wonder how the DVD guys are getting around that.

Besides... Don't I have enough to deal with while I'm driving?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The 350Z is a nice looking car. I thought about getting one myself until I found out that I wouldn't be able to get one until early next year. Supposedly there's a turbo model that will be offered soon. That'll be a rocket! Check out Link Removed for more info on Z cars (and other Nissan cars).

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The 350Z was very high up on my list of cars.. unfortunately I felt I had to make a purchase at the end of the last year so I wound up with a WRX. The 350 has very similar performance numbers to the WRX, but I am sure the two cars drive very differently: the 350 is a true sports car, and the WRX is not (nor does it try to be.)
I suppose the WRX makes a better daily driver thanks to the 4 doors and the AWD, but if the 2 cars were available at the time I still may well have gone for the 350, after all I managed OK for years in the rain & snow with my miata! ;)
I'm going to keep the WRX for now (no payments is nice!) but if they come out with a twin turbo Z in a couple of years I won't be able to resist! :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The thing is, the new 350Z is built on the same platform as the Infiniti G35 coupe. I *think* I like the styling of the G35 a *little* better. I dunno..

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Jeff, what you see is a navigation system. Many of these system can be modified by the end user to display DVDs and TV, but this is illegal in most every state. It in not illegal, however, for the system to display route information and other navigational-type stuff.

I love that Z! Actually thinking about getting a G35 (sedan or coupe, not sure) sometime in the future. It's based on the same platform as the Z, and the G35 Coupe actually uses the same suspension components.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Shawn you beat me to it - anyway, thanks for making me drool. The G35 Coupe has back seats, making it more practical for me.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
The 350Z is a great looking car but I also prefer the G35 Coupe. Its one nice looking vehicle. I would definitely think about that car if I was looking for a 2+2 coupe. Hopefully they'll make the interior a little better than the G35 sedan. its a little too weird with the whole center console look.

Patrick

Frederick

Second Unit
Yeah, the Infiniti's got my name written all over it. Shame I probably can't fit in it (6'4", 250 lbs):frowning:. Sometimes being tall sux ...
Freddy C.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Ryan, I noticed the Bose stereo right away.

What is it with so many car manufacturers offering bose as their premium stereos.. o well. I'm getting the stock in my new A4 and just plan to upgrade it my self.

The Z is a very nice car, the Japanese make some nice cars to go with there nice electrics. However I've yet to find a sports sedan that I think comes close to the Germans. But as far as sports cars go the Z is a nice catch!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks