Well, I'm not going to put a gaping hole in my new enclosure!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveSpoon, Jul 31, 2002.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Been thinking about this quite a bit, and have decided not to mount the 250 watt Parts Express amp in the back of my new enclosure. I know, I know, that's what it was built for, but I just can't force myself to open/cut the cabinet up.

So I have a couple options left. Still purchase the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp and piggy back it (don't really want to do this), or (oh no, here he goes again!!), purchase a high quality receiver, integrated amp, main amp somewhere and run the sub that way. What do you think?

Couple questions: Can I find an amplifer that is at least as good (and as powerful) as the Parts Express amp for the same money? Would be looking for an older amp, possible sources would be Ebay (what don't they sell there??!!), audiogon, etc.

Also, what exactly should I be looking for? Something that is bridgeable (don't really understand what that all means)? Just looking for a good, high powered, stand alone amplifer to power my Dayton 12"DVC.

Any thoughts or suggestions, as always, greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Do you have the amp in hand? If so - cut the hole already. What's the worst that will happen? YOu don't like it a year from now? Build another box. If you've build it already you know how easy it is.

I think it will be much easier to tune and getting a seperate receiver for it.

If you really don't want to cut the hole, go for the PE amp in a box route. You probably have enough scrap MDF to make it for free. Slap some paint on it and you're good to go.

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Cut the hole already! [​IMG] I know how you feel though. I was looking at my masterpiece and was horrified that I'd be cutting a big ole hole in it but it really looks cool after mounting it up. Just do it. You'll like it.
    Disclaimer: It isn't my fault if you mess up the hole [​IMG] my recommendation is to cut a hole the correct size in the right spot. (not trying to jinx ya)
    Darren

4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I'll 2nd that disclaimer. Measure 3-4x just to be sure. Draw it out on there. Put the amp on it. Does it look like it's going to fit? Then time for power tools [​IMG]

5. SteveSpoon

If (big if here) I had any brains, this is what should be done:
    1. Don't cut hole in enclosure.
    2. Use massive Yamaha M-80 amp (50 lbs worth of amp) rated at a true 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms which is currently on hand to drive the sub.
    3. Find a way to bridge the sub (twist all and any wires together and feed into subwoofer....should be good for "bridging" about 1000 watts.
    4. Turn power on and watch walls/windows of house explode.
    [​IMG]
    Steve
    I forget who said it a day or so ago, but I truely am making this more complicated than what it needs to be. Here's how things should (and probably will happen).
    1. Purchase plate amp.
    2. Cut hole.
    3. Install amp.
    4. Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

The power of positive thinking.

"It will go perfectly. I will enjoy much low frequency pleasure. I will soon feel what I've been missing"

"IF I COULD JUST QUIT QUIVERING AND CUT THE DAMN HOLE!!!"

Piece of cake man...enjoy! Just make sure you don't leave one of the driver mount bolts out, it makes quite a difference in the performance of the sub. I found out the hard way...easy fix though!

Darren

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

8. SteveSpoon

You guys rock!! Thanks for the help. Now to get that "VISA Gold" from the wife just one more time for the plate amp........"really, honey, that will be the last purchase". [​IMG]
    Thanks again.
    Steve

9. Stephen White

Just call Visa, and tell them to send you your own....that will take care of all your problems....well except one....

what to tell you wife when the bill arrives

I say cut the hole!!!

STEPHEN

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I used binding posts since I thought I might change the amp, or use the amp for another project. That PE 250w amp works extremely well with the 12" DVC, I don't think you can do better for $120.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

My wife doesn't even ask anymore when a package arrives. Damn, looking around this room I realize I really need to sell off a couple of pair of speakers!

Brian

12. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

13. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Get the plate amp and build an external box for it. I did mine out of scrap MDF in about 1 hour. Put binding posts on the sub cabinet and run from the external plate amp to the sub. The box is easy enough to hide, and you don't have to mar your enclosure. This is what I did for my sonosub. Check out Pat's pages, one of them has a link to his amp box he made for the plate amp. Mine is similar but far less professional.

Got any pictures you'd care to share?

Good luck!

Robin

14. SteveSpoon

Speaker box building put on hold!!!!! Wife said, you need to get the living room painted before messing around with anymore of your toys.....sniff, sniff. Just got the ceiling done. Bought expensive paint in hopes that is wouldn't need two coats, but even I can see that it will need another coat[​IMG] . Normally I try to skimp on stuff like this[​IMG] , but I know she's gonna say, "Steve, you need to put another coat on the ceiling". Seems like the harder I try to get out of work, the harder it is to avoid it.
    Anyway, the only thing I have done so far is cut all my pieces out and test fit.....they fit great!! Will take some pics as I progress and post them. I'm sure you guys need a good laugh!!!
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Steve

15. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

I cut a hole in my sealed sub and attached a MDF box to the inside of the sub so that I created a cavity that is completely sealed on the back of the sub.

The amp is still flush mounted and I do not need to worry about any air leaks or structural weakening. There is one small hole for wiring and that is sealed with silicone.

-JohnA

16. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

You can check out this link for my whack-it-together-in-an-evening-from-scrap-MDF stand-alone plate amp box. It doesn't look too bad, and it's going to live behind my TV, anyway.
    Just click on the Photos link.
    http:\home.att.net~pjessee.or
    Peter