Well i'll be damned Carnivale season 2 is announced

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Daniel-M, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

There was a season two??

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Wow, I had given up on this. I just don't understand HBO's thought processes.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't know why anyone is surprised that HBO took so long to release this. They didn't have a third season to tie the release into so it didn't matter to them when they released it. They know the fans that want it will buy it when it's released. They've been promoting their Sex And The City megaset, The Sopranos, Deadwood and Entourage DVDs to drum up promotion for the new seasons of those shows.

5. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I have heard great things about this show and was ready to buy it until I heard it got cancelled. Whilst I am interested the curse of the unresolved cliffhanger is putting me off.

My question is, without spoilerizing can someone enlighten me as to how "unresolved" they leave the show at the end of Season 2. Is there any sort of closure to the storyline ?

6. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

They only started showing the show here in New Zealand after it was cancelled, so I was tempted not to watch it simply because of the unresolved ending. But I did watch it, just out of curiosity, and it very quickly became appointment viewing.

How unresolved is it? Not very. I believe Daniel Knauf intended for the show to run six years, with each two years forming a "book". So the end of season 2 does reach a point of general resolution around the main conflict, and then ends in a cliffhanger way to set up the next seas on that never happened.

What I am trying to say is, you could almost pretend that the last five minutes didn't happen, and be quite satisfied. There would be a few lingering plots that would not be resolved, and some vision and prophecy scenes that never get fulfilled on-screen, but not so much that you would feel like you've been ripped off.

And it really is a great show. One of the most unique, fascinating, and bizarre shows I have ever seen, and it lingers in your mind, long after watching it.

In other news, cover art is available.

7. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

If you ever watched Nowhere Man, I'd say this show was about equally wrapped up. Most of the loose ends were tied up, while new ones were created. I think Carnivale was designed to be a 6 year story consisting of three main two-year arcs. So the whole story isn't told, but the first chunk is.

If you're interested, I'd say it's worth it. Unless you won't be satisified with anything less that 100% closure.

8. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    No I can live without 100% closure. I think I'll try it. Thanks for the info and more importantly for not spoiling it [​IMG]

9. DianeM

DianeM Auditioning

I'll concur with the others, while the majority of the season 1 and 2 plot points are tied up by the end of the 2nd season, they planted enough seeds so that you can easily see where 3 and 4 were going to go.

Unlike John Doe where you were left hanging, Carnivale tied up enough loose ends to make it satisfying.