What's new

Well...I sent my PB10 back. “Curse you, HTF!” (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Yes it’s true, I sent it back and ordered a PC-Ultra from Eric. Before I started reading the HTF I may have been completely satisfied with the PB10. But not anymore! I guess it was just wishful thinkin’ that the PB10 could serve a room the size or mine (23'x18'x14'vaulted ceiling). Guess I was trying to be “cheap”. It actually sounded very good, very musical, better than my Velo CHT-12, but it just doesn't have the output needed to fill my room. On hard kick drum or bass notes it would distort and then the circuitry kicks in and reduces the output. My Ultra should be in next week. Thanks a lot HTF! :)

My 5.1 setup:
Toshiba 35"
Parasound HCA-2003(L/C/R)
h/k PA2000 (rears)
h/k AVR 525 (pre-amp)
Denon DVD-2900
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Ctr II
JBL S36-II's (rears)
Velodyne CHT-12 **SOLD!**
23'x18'x14'vaulted ceiling (LxWxH)Living room.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Even if that's a closed room not open to other areas in the house (?) that's a pretty big space for the PB10-ISD to fill to "enthusiast levels".

I tell people that while it's probably the best $429 sub on the planet, it does not a.) Cure cancer b.) Turn water to wine c.) Perform miracles of any kind.

It's very much bound to the laws of physics in other words. I'm listening to one right now (where my PC-Ultra normally sits) and it sounds great. You would have to stack two to seriously challenge a single PC-Ultra however if you started wailing on it in a large enough space... like yours.

Please let us know if the PC-Ultra scratches the itch. I think the added "quantity" to go along with "quality" you heard in the PB10-ISD up to its limits will "do it" for you.

You know where we are, either way.

Ron

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
lol....congrats, John! That is my next SVS, too......you'll have to let me know how it is.....better yet, invite me over to hear it! I'm right over in Gainesville :)

I recently had to sell my PB12-ISD/2 so I've actually been SVS-less for a few months now. I could have picked up a PB10 by now, but even though I am certain that sub is a killer, I want the Ultra.

Enjoy!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I can't imagine someone feeling the urge to upgrade after browsing the HTF:D ........

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Ron: Thanks for your assistance in getting me that "Authorization Form" so quickly yesterday. I only made it to the UPS Center with ten minutes to spare! Whew! Yes the PB10 is much tighter and more accurate than my old Velo CHT-12, which I sold on eBay for $315 + shipping. Yeah! Ron, it's the best sub I've heard under $600! Congrats on the build quality of your entry-level sub, it was awesome! Hmmm….guess that's why I plunked down the coin for an Ultra.

Ron, reassure me, the PC-Ultra should have no problem filling this space with near-concert level audio. Right?

AlanZ: Hey man, you gettin’ the ice and sleet that we are gettin’ over here on the NW side of town? Have you even heard of Acworth? This weather is crazy! Being a native Georgian, I'm not used to this shit!

Hold out for the Ultra, if what I’ve heard is true, it’ll be worth the wait! I’ll update this thread with my impressions at the end of next week. Stay warm and off the ice!

DonnyD: Yeah', imagine that! :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

I've used a PC-Ultra in rooms even LARGER than yours and it held its own quite nicely.

I know it's hard to imagine, but imagine anyway, more than twice the power with depth like you heard already.

I don't think you have anything to worrry about.

E-mail me personally if you fire things up and I'm lying.

Ron

[email protected]

mylan

Screenwriter
Hi, just reading your comments on the old Velodyne sub. I have an older HGS 10 that I can't get set correctly with the rest of my system. it seems to rattle the Salamander Designs cabinent so i moved the sub out until I ran out AC plug and now it seems to overdrive too easily. I'm thinking of the Sub Dude from Auralex Acoustics would tame this. Any suggestions? B.T.W. I'm from Gainesville too, totally iced in but I did get a movie in today:)

my equipment list:
Sony 60" WE series LCD
Denon 2910 DVD
older Yamaha 2092 (want Denon 3805)
Definitve Tech bookshelf speakers
monster cable power 3600
Velodyne HGS 10
charter cable HD DVR ( this thing rocks)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ron, reassure me, the PC-Ultra should have no problem filling this space with near-concert level audio. Right?
__________________________________________________ ______

Hi John,

I'm no Ron:) but I had the PC-Ultra in a 12 X 24 X 10' leaky HT room and could take it to -0 on some of the heaviest LFE that I can think of. With it set in the 20 Hz stock tune with the SS filter set correctly and corner loaded.> You should be sitting just fine. When Ron mentions more than twice the power of the PB10-ISD he isn't blowing smoke. When you take it out of the box, you'll be able to tell just by the look and feel of it. After firing it up and dialing it in, you will then understand. Not to down play the PB10-ISD, but the PC-Ultra will faaaar surpass it's capability.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Sorry for the slow response guys, but our power went out for almost an hour!

AlanZ: “Yep, totally iced in The dogs have no CLUE where to shit.” :) Good one!

Yep, I hear ya’ man. Had to take the trash out, and it couldn’t even wait til tomorrow, if you know what I mean. Just walkin’ on the grass is tough and forget about the walkway. My 90 gallon buggy was frozen shut with ice ½” thick! Had to give it two “Pile-Drivers” to get it open!

Alan, have you ever even heard of Acworth?

Ron: Thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted hear!

mylan: Howdie’ neighbor! Nice TV! Good thing I’m an audio man, or such things would turn my head. My CHT-12 does not compare to your HSG. If memory serves me correctly the HGS is audiophile class sub. Sorry man, I don’t have any suggestions, but you’re at the right forum to resolve sub issues. If you get no takers, try a new thread.

I also was able to return and get a movie since the Ga DOT salted Hwy 92. Thanks guys! I got the last copy of “Friday Night Lights”. But, unfortunately I’m sub-less, so this should be interesting.

steve nn: Thanks for the reassurance Steve! I can’t wait til next week!

mylan

Screenwriter
John, thanks for returning my post, I am new to H.T.F. and
came upon your SVS sub thread and thought I would see if any of you had any suggestions. Yeah, the HGS 10 retailed
for $1700 but the great guys at Evolution Home Theater in Duluth (used to be Stereo Festival when bought)sold it to me for $1100. It is great but seems to get some "flutter"
when pushed. SVS seems to be the real deal but I was thinking of floorstanding speakers with subs built in, i.e.
Def Tech, Sapphire, etc.
Enjoy your movie, I went to get it last week and had no luck. My power has flickered twice but hopefully thats all we'll get...stay warm.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
John:
Yep, I've heard of Acworth.....couldn't tell you where it is, other than the fact that it's supposed to be up here in North Georgia :) Nice pick-up on the 'Friday Night Lights' flick, by the way......the camera movement in the first half hour nearly made me vomit, but I loved that flick. Anyone who played HS football should connect with it.

Mylan: You have the Charter HD with DVR? Those bastards told me it wouldn't be out for another month......I guess a phone call is in order.

mylan

Screenwriter
Alan, yeah I got it two weeks ago, they told me I was among twelve in this area with it, mostly all Charter employees and me. I called and was put on a waiting list, it and a Cable Card, I guess they didn't want to install the card. I hear cable co. hates those things ( takes away their revenue stream from P.P.V.. It only costs $9.99 a month extra but you have to give them your credit card info. I guess cause you could make off with it and they would be out some serious coin. To buy an equiv. from Direct TV costs
$1,000! The interface isn't as user friendly as my TIVO upstairs but the fact that I can record 24 and watch in HD makes up for it! Yeah, call em and tell em I sent ya!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Heck yeah, HD rules......For me, nothing compares to the NFL in HD......but at least we'll have Bravesvision to get us through the summer. I'm definitely going to call them and say that Mylan assured me that there would be an HD box with DVR with my name on it :)

mylan

Screenwriter
Alan...so true, the Braves will be cool, but I was told only home games would be in HD on that channel. One thing I can't figure is WSB ch. 2 is not in HD in Charter's line up so I can't see Lost or Alias yet. I have heard that Comcast just signed an ageement with WSB so Charter may not far behind. Take care, i'm going down into the "man cave" for some tv and hope the power don't go out, M

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey mylan, AlanZ, and John Pine,

I'm a fellow Georgian over here in Athens. This ice is crazy! Anyway, I've got a PC-Ultra if any of you guys ever would like to pop in for a demo. I haven't yet had the opportunity to demo my HT to fellow forum members and I'd really enjoy the chance to. Here's my setup:

Sanyo Z2 w/80 inch Carada screen
Denon 5900 SDI modded w/IScanHD SDI modded
Charter HD DVR
Emotiva DMC-1 Pre/Pro
Emotiva MPS-1 7 Channel Amp
Rocket Loudspeakers RS750s, RSC200, RSS300s, RS550s
SVS PC-Ultra

Let me know if you guys are interested. The Ultra is a killer sub! Love it!

-Edwin

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yall have me wanting to move to Georgia again.....!

I actually moved to Athens in 1977 and eventually married a Georgia peach and built a home in Winder. We had a MONSTER ice & sleet storm in 1978 that shut down everything for 3 days. Our crew all came and stayed at my house for a continuous party!!!! I do wish I was still there. Really liked the area...Honey runs out of those Geogia women's mouth when they talk.....

Back on the HD DVR cable thing..... I've been looking into it and you are correct.... Direct TV is outrageous and you still have to have an external antenna to receive local HD signals. Dish is a cheaper initial install & equip but offer no HD DVR........ Having go away from cable a couple of years ago because of constant problems, I may look at them again if HD is an option for them now.

Yeah, having dogs is a pain when inclimate weather is around...... I bet they were funny...........

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Tell me about it, it's pure torture! ;) I actually got it from Kris Deering. It's his old reference player that he has now replaced with the 5910, which he gave a 97 on the Secrets of HT Benchmark.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Out of pure curiousity...

If a second PB 10 were added instead of a PC Ultra... I'm sure you had this discussion already prior to chosing the Ultra but what was the reasoning behind going with "one larger (power and size)" instead of "two smaller" to fill?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks